Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 08:53   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Inverter/Charger Recommends

My current 2000w charger/inverter is 17 years old. It still works well, but it has some failings that are troublesome to me. The most important is that it doesn’t appear to have power factor correction so it really doesn’t care for my generator. This results in charging at only 35 amps, while I know for a fact that my batteries would accept 60+ amps at the time. So that mean twice as long to run the generator and I hate listening to it and having to wait for it. It also is a modified sine wave and my microwave doesn’t like it so if I’m going to replace it I may as well get a pure sine wave unit.

So looking for remmendations for a 2000-2500w pure sine wave charger/inverter, power corrected, at least 50amp charger output. Want it to have a remote panel for on/off and basic display, programmable for FLA with 14.6-14.8V at absorption, and an equalize program. I don’t need any other fancy bells and whistles.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:49   #2
CLOD

Re: Inverte/Charger Recommends

Since posting this I’ve been web searching the topic. It’s pretty disappointing in that I could only find 1 actural “review” that did any testing and that was over 10 years ago. All other “reviews” were really just a listing of manufacturers marketing specs. I’ve also learned that marketing specs are almost useless as none of them ever give the operating conditions that the spec applies to.
Old 03-04-2018, 13:14   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

We use a Mastervolt 2500kva inverter charger. It produces 100A DC from the generator or shore power.

You should know that certain power factor correction systems inside chargers do not like certain generators. Such is the case for us. We have to run a resistive load such as hot water heater before switching on the inverter AC input. Otherwise the charger does not like the AC waveform about 25% of the time.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:32   #4

Boat: Sabre 38

Have a Victron Compact 2000 watt inverter, 80 amp charger, 120 volts. It's great. But only have had it a year, but I expect it to last 15 years plus. As my genny is just a Honda 2k, the power assist feature of the Victron is really nice; allows me to pull 3k watts for short periods. May or may not be interesting to you. Otherwise, it should easily do everything else you need. I splurged on the GX Color remote for a remote control. This also connects to my Victron solar controllers and Victron battery monitor, for a one screen solution to my entire electrical system. They also sell a cheaper remote controller if you don't need the fancy screen. Victron has great customer service and continuously updated their products firmware.

Happy to answer specific questions.

The other big names that i almost went with are MasterVolt (also has power assist) and Sterling (no power assist, but cheaper and I hear excellent quality).

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:43   #5
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
We use a Mastervolt 2500kva inverter charger. It produces 100A DC from the generator or shore power.

You should know that certain power factor correction systems inside chargers do not like certain generators. Such is the case for us. We have to run a resistive load such as hot water heater before switching on the inverter AC input. Otherwise the charger does not like the AC waveform about 25% of the time.
I have run both my charger and hot heater off the generator at the same time lots of times as that just makes sense. But I've never started the hot water heater before the charger and will try that just to see if it matters.
Old 03-04-2018, 14:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a powerboat. I use Magnum PAE-MS inverters. They supply 120/240 in a single inverter and work with either a 24v or 48v bank. AC goes thru the inverter and automatically transfers to battery power when shore or generator power is cut. They can be ganged to supply up to 16kw, I have 2 for 8kw. I wanted these because I have several 240v items I want to power w/o running a generator. Wiring is greatly simplified. Now I only run one when anchored about an hour a day. I use the 48v version and when cruising have a 48v alternator that keeps the banks charged, so no generator when running the mains. When on the inverter, if the batteries get low, a generator is automatically started.
Battery charger has 4 charging states, an equalization mode and battery temperature sensor. It supplies up to 60 amps (48v) charging depending on battery state and AC load. I believe 105 amp max on the 24v version. I use the 48v because of the smaller wires sizes for remote banks.
I could probably power with solar but run in the PNW.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have had a Victron Compact 2000/70 for 7-8 years and love it. Makes nice, clean power, everything I've connected to it likes it.

The auto sync function is handy if you occasionally connect to marginal shore power. The unit will automatically boost the power and voltage of the dock power if it drops below a set level.

Not sure about the power factor but it's probably somewhere in the specs.

I had one problem with the initial programming. Supposedly you can do this by a set of complex manipulations of dip switches and button presses. I was not able to make this work. Added the remote display and the free software and was able to do all I needed quite easily.

I pulled the covers off and looked inside and was very impressed with the build quality. An electrician would call it a work of art.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:55   #8

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I just put in a magnum pure sinewave last year with the digital display . I really like it. Kept the bank at 14.2. 14.3. All winter. Easy plug and play install. They put them in all the ambulances and emergency vehicles as well. Made in USA. I give it a thumbs up
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:14   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Sorry, I should have typed 2.5kva instead of 2,500kva. Big difference...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, I should have typed 2.5kva instead of 2,500kva. Big difference...
Only by a factor of 1000.
Old 03-04-2018, 16:01   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Only by a factor of 1000.
I wasn't interested in such an overkill for my needs, but figured maybe some other topic searcher might be.
Old 03-04-2018, 16:22   #12

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

On the Magnum. I don't actually have one. My old Heart Systems inverter charger has given problems twice. Each time, I was on the point of buying a Magnum, after much research, but then repaired my Heart Interface Freedom 25 instead. Once it was relays, the other time a Triac.
Old 03-04-2018, 17:01   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wasn't interested in such an overkill for my needs, but figured maybe some other topic searcher might be.
But with that much power you could sell juice to everyone in the anchorage.
Old 03-04-2018, 17:10   #14
CLOD

Quote:
sounds close to being ..................................... work
Old 03-04-2018, 17:16   #15
CLOD

Quote:
sounds close to being ..................................... work

Tags
charger, men