Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 07:43   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Inverter/charger new purchase required Need advice

Xantrex Freedom HF 1800W Inverter/Charger with 40 Ampere Charger is what I am thinking about.

I have an older Freedom 2000W invert/charger and is toast. Would the 1800W suffice for a temporary replacement or even permanent?

I have the Link that works with Xantrex.

A friend has a new Magnum 2kw inverter/charger with control panel and battery temperature probe, he want to sell me for around $1500 plus install.

Its $500 vrs $1500. I have solar and wind generator and 8K genset. Why would or should I buy the Magnum.

Merry Christmas
Old 25-12-2014, 08:49   #2

Re: Inverter/charger new purchase required Need advice

How big is your battery bank? 40a charger is small. Magnum is 100a. Load that huge genny up other wise you're wasting lots of running time and fuel.

I would avoid xantrax. The new stuff is garbage
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 08:51   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Because it is a far superior product. We stopped using Xantrex in the charter boats because the cheap Chinese boards fry all the time. The only Magnum I have ever had to open up got wet from a leaky hatch. They are bullet proof.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 09:17   #4

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

My 2 8D gel cells are shot after 9 years. I am buying a couple of 8D wet cell batteries to get me from the Rio to Florida where I will buy the right stuff. This inverter will be temporary until I get the 100 amp in florida.. I have two 400 watt solar panels to help me and an air breeze and a genset to keep the batteries up.

So this inverter just gets me some light cruising from the Rio to Florida with of course a stop over in Cuba.

You would seem Xantrex would understand and do something about the cheap chinese board criticisms. I will call them after Christmas to see what they say.

I just ordered the Xantrex 1800 with Amazon discount total with shipping $435.00. How can I go wrong. When I return to the Rio someone will buy it for what I paid, no problema.
Old 26-12-2014, 09:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Xantrex Freedom HF 1800W Inverter/Charger with 40 Ampere Charger is what I am thinking about.

The Link does not control this Xantrex inverter/charger. It has its simple remote that can be removed from the unit and installed remotely.

I agree with the above - Magnum is a top quality inverter.

Magnum is like a Mercedes - Xantrex more like a Lada.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 09:18   #6

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage

For what it's worth, I just put a xantrex 1800 unit in my Hunter 450 Passage...it works fine. I only paid the $500 and if I have to replace it in a couple years, that's O.K.
sugarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 09:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
For what it's worth, I just put a xantrex 1800 unit in my Hunter 450 Passage...it works fine. I only paid the $500 and if I have to replace it in a couple years, that's O.K.
They are ok for casual use but I would not recommend for a liveaboard and daily use. I sell Xantrex (and others including Magnum) as well as install. Recently I removed a dead HF 1800 that I installed a few years ago and have replaced others over the years with Magnum or other quality inverters.

Built to a price and Xantrex customer service is somewhat lacking when help is needed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:15   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have the Magnum 2000 inverter charger and love it. I think I paid only about $1100 for it brand new with some of the accessories. As far as the Xantrix is concerned they are getting a bad reputation since production has been shipped to china. I had to replace one that toasted a battery bank of 4 8D batteries because it didn't shut down at low voltage. The Magnum customer service is incredible (or at least it was when I bought mine 2 years ago) they are in Washington and answer right away
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 15:24   #9

We (sadly) replaced our fried Xantrax 1000 with the 1800...and failed to note that it was a modified sine model and will not run our printer or the foodsaver. Magnum next time...
BeaMewesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 17:52   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our 18-year old Heart Freedom 25 has finally been removed and replaced with a Victron. We seriously considered Magnum but we were told by the Magnum customer service department that the warranty would be voided if we installed it in our engine room (where the Heart lived for so long). Also, the Magnum has quite a loud fan and hums loudly as well.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 04:56   #11

Boat: Molenmakermantelkotter; Motorsailer; 11,5 m
Wink Re: Inverter/charger new purchase required Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post

I have an older Freedom 2000W invert/charger and is toast. Would the 1800W suffice for a temporary replacement or even permanent?

A friend has a new Magnum 2kw inverter/charger with control panel and battery temperature probe, he want to sell me for around $1500 plus install.

Its $500 vrs $1500. I have solar and wind generator and 8K genset. Why would or should I buy the Magnum.

Merry Christmas
I should go for the $1.500,00 one. You can control the batteries and load from the wind en solar.
But a 8K gen can give you also 110//220V~, luxury problem!!

All the best Simon
simonsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter, purchase