Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 14:03   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Inverter / Charger

As I prepare our boat to go cruising again, I am going to install an inverter charger. On some other forums there seems to be some displeasure with customer service fram Xantec. I was thinking abour a Freedom 2000, reasonably priced, and compatible with the Link 1000. Any experiences with the Freedom, or with Xantec?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 14:17   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I'm happy with my Freedom 2000 but not as happy with my Link 2000. Had a glitch in it and Zantrex doesn't make them anymore. The Link 2000 controls the inverter and the charger. Those functions are working but the count up and down and the amps going in doesn't work. Zantrex does not repair them and replaces them for $200. I have to run a few tests to make sure it's the Link and not a wiring problem. Will do that in the fall before we go cruising again. The phone in support for Zantrex was pretty good.
Old 15-06-2009, 14:43   #3

Boat: (between boats)
I've just replaced my house battery bank (4x T-105's) after installing a new freedom 2k inverter/charger a few weeks ago. Before I connected the new batteries this past Saturday I wired in the Link 1000. Everything worked great. I can control the charger/inverter from the link and can now see my net amp usage. Maybe dramatic but I feel like I've emerged from the dark ages of analog volt meters. Can't answer you customer service concerns as I've had no need to contact them. I did lot's of homework talking to experienced cruisers for real-world experiences before deciding on this setup. Can't wait until I have my 4x130w solar array up and running to see what that kicks out!

No hesitation in recommending this gear.

Island Hops
STX.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 16:11   #4

I have a freedom in my boat Works great no problem for 2 years
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:31   #5
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
KeepOnDancin-
Freedom inverter/chargers are modified sine wave units...and that is being generous as the wave form is not even close to being a sine wave.

Xantrex is the manufacturer and their technical support has become problematic over the years. I would not recommend them unless price point is the major issue. I would recommend that you take a look at Magnum (excellent technical support), Outback, and Victron (top of the line). All three of these manufacturers make a 2kW pure sine wave unit with a power factor corrected charger. At least worth looking at.

Hope this helps.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I've been researching inverter/chargers and the Victron sounds like the Cadillac. No experience with customer service but calls to the company for information brought immediate call back from the sales manager when the CS guy didn't know all the answers. Not cheap but have a really cool feature. If you have a small AC generator and need extra power for starting a compressor or large motor the Victron will automatically switch in to add a boost to the generator power long enough to cover the startup load.

Jamestown is a distributor about $1600
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 05:01   #7

Boat: (between boats)
When comparing modified to true sine wave converters keep in mind the no-load power usage. In the xantrex line freedom (mod-sine) the no-load draw was only 0.12A but the RS2000 (pure-sine) was 14.4W (1.2A).

Just another factor to consider. Personally with a remote control panel I leave the inverter off unless I know I will be using it.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 05:11   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Bill Trayfors, who's opinion we value very highly around here, recommends the Victron.

LINK
Old 16-06-2009, 06:15   #9

I know many people that have purchased the Outback Marine inverters and they have had no problems at all and are very content with their products. Also their customer support is excellent compared to some other manufacturers (xantrex).
DC Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 06:54   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have the Freedom 2500 which has been problem free thus far but if we do have a problem I have doubt's about being able to get any assistance from Xantrex. No one we know has been able to get any kind of service from the Company since its reorganization which, supposedly, included outsourcing its customer service to a call center in India. I cannot assert the truth of that but I do know of several defunct Freedom Charger Inverters now residing in a landfill in southwest Florida.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:40   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
We have a Victron charger/inverter. It has truly been rock-solid reliable. I had a few questions and called customer service, which was prompt and gave good information. No complaints, at all.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter