Thanks for the replies. My question is about not breaking anything. The alternator is wired into a full battery charging circuit, house + starter batteries, joining relay, switches, etc. I wired the inverter in to the alternator common point before it went off to the batteries. Started the motor
, turned everything on (inverter & microwave on standby) and it seemed fine. However, running the microwave for a few seconds, and the inverter alarm
went off - though it seemed to continue to provide enough power. The thing that concerns me is that the engine
tacho stopped working at this time. This uses a signal off the alternator winding and I'm concerned that I have damaged the alternator by drawing too much current
. It's probably not helped by the fact that the house batteries are not holding a charge very well and will be replaced shortly.
The question is, should I move the inverter connection point closer to the battery and should I be doing something else to protect the alternator from over-current?
I'll run some tests on the alternator on Saturday next time I'm out on the boat.