Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 15:22   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Inverter 12V Fuse Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I would fuse the battery with an MRBF (terminal fuse) - 300 amp - with a very short run to a heavy duty bus. From the bus I would run wires to the main switch, inverter, bilge pump(s), alternator, as well as any other charging sources. Wires should be sized for any maximum load they will see.

A switch is needed after the fuse to the inverter for service as the AC system will be energized without shore power!
This is what I have decided on! I am changing out the main battery fuse to a 300A so in the future if I decide to use the full power of the inverter I can without worrying about the fuse. The fused battery lead will be a 4 foot size 2/0 wire run to a positive bus bar. The bus bar will be where all loads and charging sources connect. Ideally there will be enough space to install a service disconnect for the inverter. If not I will simply unbolt the lead from the positive DC bus bar for servicing.

Thanks for all the input and advice!

AHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 19:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHoy View Post
This is what I have decided on! I am changing out the main battery fuse to a 300A so in the future if I decide to use the full power of the inverter I can without worrying about the fuse. The fused battery lead will be a 4 foot size 2/0 wire run to a positive bus bar. The bus bar will be where all loads and charging sources connect. Ideally there will be enough space to install a service disconnect for the inverter. If not I will simply unbolt the lead from the positive DC bus bar for servicing.

Thanks for all the input and advice!
I would consider a service disconnect essential, as would most surveyors.

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 20:16   #18

Boat: Whitby 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I would consider a service disconnect essential, as would most surveyors.

Good to know, I will change if from a nice to have to a need to have.
AHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 20:46   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHoy View Post
Good to know, I will change if from a nice to have to a need to have.
It is also a very good idea to place a note behind the AC panel that there is an inverter. Could save a future owner or electrician from electrocution.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:19   #20
Zil

Hello HelloSailer. Your picture is wrong. Smac is saying use two fuses. One for the inverter alone and a second for the other 12 volt loads. I have my bank to a bus bar. Then each separate circuit, inverter and charger and sub-panel and stuff, has its own MRBF on the bus as well the MRBF at the bank before the bus bar.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter