Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 14:04   #1
Han

Boat: Orca 38
Installing lighting with no headliner

Hi Everyone,

We've purchased a partially owner-finished Orca 38 which currently has only one or two interior lights. Since the summer solstice is now behind us, we've started to think about more lighting. The issue is that the boat has no headliner. That's fine by us, but it makes it tricky to put up lights. Has anyone come up with a good solution for attaching lights and wiring to a bare (painted only) fiberglass cabin top? Any good ideas on making the wiring look half-decent if it's all exposed?

Thanks!

Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 14:12   #2

Boat: Sandpiper 565
Re: Installing lighting with no headliner

I've had good results with gluing up LED lighting strips, especially if it can be partially shaded by molding, installing inside shelves etc.

Or even just strips in the corner where the ceiling meets the sides, with white wiring, or in white plastic stick-on conduit.

This is great general lighting; you'll want task lighting as well - reading, lamps over sink and nav table. We like USB gooseneck lights from IKEA as reading lights, if you have USB jacks in convenient spots.

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 14:27   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

+1

Why not use a flexible LED strip around the perimeter?

There are many options, with different LED density per inch, color options and color blending options.

A valence could be added so attain indirect lighting.

This permits concealed lighting, concealed wiring and ultimate flexibility.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 15:27   #4
Han

Thanks. The perimeter is definitely a good option.

Lake-Effect, are these the Ikea lights you've used? We currently don't have many usb jacks, but those are on the list to add as well and if we can use them for lighting it might affect the placement somewhat.

Also, what kind of glue have you used for sticking up the led strips?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2019, 16:06   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I stuck a 15' strip of LED self sticking lights, using 3M double sided tape and gorilla snot, around the overhead of my engine compartment (engine dungeon).
Now I can really see things down there, like the shaft log and transmission dipstick.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
are these the Ikea lights you've used? We currently don't have many usb jacks, but those are on the list to add as well and if we can use them for lighting it might affect the placement somewhat.
yes, those are the ones. They come in other colours too.
Even in our small boat, I've got 4 USB jacks. They're just too handy.

Quote:
Also, what kind of glue have you used for sticking up the led strips?
Many of the strips are self-adhesive, but i found it worked best if i painted a stripe of contact cement on the boat interior first and let that set, then CAREFULLY position and press up the LED strip.

I used cheap warm-white 12v strip, and it's hung in (and up) for 4 years now, but we're on freshwater. The strip can apparently be found in a more waterproof construction too.

Another option - LED strips are now also available in rigid sections (eg 50cm) which would be a bit more attractive and durable, if you can't hide them
Old 09-07-2019, 17:35   #7

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had under cabinet lighting on my boat, no overhead lighting. The under cabinet lighting worked for preparing food and navigating but it made for a rather depressing feeling in the interior with my head in the dark and all the lighting below chest level. Installed battery powered LED lights screwed to the underside of the cabin and really brightened up the interior and my mood. I was rather obsessive about not wasting battery power and went weeks without having to change the batteries. Thought I'd solved the lighting problems. Have been doing a ssssllllooowwww interior refit which I'm nearing the end of. Tried to reactivate the overhead lights and they are dead. Stored them off the boat with the batteries removed so don't have any idea why they have died. Anyway, if you do decided to go with battery powered LED's do some research and see if you can find some that have been tried and found to be long lived.

Failure seems to be a common thing with battery powered LED lights. The switches go bad and allow a trickle current leakage which drains the batteries dead and then the batteries begin to leak, or they put out a very weak light or they just won't turn on. Once the batteries leak, the fixtures/flashlights are usually toast. Doesn't seem to be a function of price as $60 Coast flashlight as well as cheap flashlights and strips all seem to suffer the same failure. Only solution is to take the batteries out if you aren't going to be using them regularly and hope they'll work when you want to reactivate them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 20:05   #8
Han

Engine compartment lighting is a great call.

Also, I can't believe how inexpensive those rigid led strips are, I'll probably order a couple and just see how they look. If they don't work in the cabin, I'll put them in the engine compartment. I'll just have to come up with an elegant way to add a switch.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:36   #9

This may not work for you, but here's how we handled exposed wiring in my lobster boat.

Look at the copper wire run located by the center windscreen and the 2 runs by the starboard corner post forward of the helm - those are simply copper tubing bent in place and held with small copper clips and small bronze screws. It is purely cosmetic and hides the wire runs.

Sorry I don't have a better picture available. We did this same treatment all through the boat - both above and below deck. I like it for the style of my boat, but it may not work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire run 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	195685  
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:10   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

I paid $12 for 30 feet or so for a string of teeny LEDs lit up my boat like no other light. They're cheap and super easy to install. Wired them up to the DC panel. Though it comes with its own adhesive and sticks well, the glue is needed for a few problem spots.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03   #11

Here's some examples of extrusions that house LED strips, offering even more options. (I link to this vendor only because I'm familiar with them; there are a number of domestic and far-east sources for LED strips and accessories)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I paid $12 for 30 feet or so for a string of teeny LEDs lit up my boat like no other light. They're cheap and super easy to install. Wired them up to the DC panel. Though it comes with its own adhesive and sticks well, the glue is needed for a few problem spots.

We did that before we got better lights, they are still there just we don’t use them anymore, our Daughter calls them “Limo lights”
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:08   #13

Try Superbrightleds.com website. I have no affiliation. Tons of choices.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09   #14
Han

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We did that before we got better lights, they are still there just we don’t use them anymore, our Daughter calls them “Limo lights”
Haha, at this point I'm happy to take limo lights over trying to find enough headlamps for everyone.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:17   #15
Han

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican_38 View Post
Look at the copper wire run located by the center windscreen and the 2 runs by the starboard corner post forward of the helm - those are simply copper tubing bent in place and held with small copper clips and small bronze screws. It is purely cosmetic and hides the wire runs.
The copper tubing looks great! We'll have to give it some thought, it might well work for us. And your photo is beautiful, it makes me wish I was out on the water rather than here on the computer.

Tags
head, headliner, lighting