Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 11:32   #1

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Installing an Inverter

I would like to hard wire an inverter into my A/C so I can use the outlets. I currently use a portable 600 plugged into a cigarette lighter. I have been told this is fairly easy, looking at a 2000. please in laymen's terms
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:42   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
You're looking for a hardwired inverter to connect to your AC receptacles. A convient option on some inverters is an automatic transfer relay which enables the unassisted transfer from shorepower/generator to inverter.

I have a Xantrex with these features, it works well.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:44   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2wind View Post
I would like to hard wire an inverter into my A/C so I can use the outlets. I currently use a portable 600 plugged into a cigarette lighter. I have been told this is fairly easy, looking at a 2000. please in laymen's terms
Have a look at my site here, http://tinyurl.com/2dcwvop . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
make sure you have a 2 way switch,will blow up inverter if still connnected when reconnected to shore power,unless it has a ups capability
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:13   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
You're looking for a hardwired inverter to connect to your AC receptacles. A convient option on some inverters is an automatic transfer relay which enables the unassisted transfer from shorepower/generator to inverter.

I have a Xantrex with these features, it works well.
Having had a bad experience (actually two, dumb me!) with Xantrex, I decided to do some homework which I should have done in the first place.

It was not fun to read.

Do a search for Xantrex problems, Prosine failures, etc.
Your hair will stand up.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:26   #6

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Steve,

Any recommendations or just bashing Xantrex
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:40   #7

My Xantrex Prosine 1000 is 6+ years old without any problems.
Old 25-01-2011, 17:25   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2wind View Post
Steve,

Any recommendations or just bashing Xantrex

Xantrex WILL NOT share any information such as product schematics needed to repair failed inverters.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 17:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
My Xantrex Prosine 1000 is 6+ years old without any problems.
Unfortunately, this is a common response when these issues come up. It would not be accurate to say that EVERY Xantrex product will fail. If that were the case they would no longer be in business. BUT as consumers we need to look at the failure rate of a particular product and in the case of Xantrex, it is a high percentage. In addition comparing a six or seven or even ten year old product is not a fair comparison since any product can decline in quality based on a lot of variables and the Prosine 1000 of six years ago is very likely to be a different animal from the Prosine 1000 that is manufactured today. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-01-2011, 21:14   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Unfortunately, this is a common response when these issues come up. It would not be accurate to say that EVERY Xantrex product will fail. If that were the case they would no longer be in business. BUT as consumers we need to look at the failure rate of a particular product and in the case of Xantrex, it is a high percentage. In addition comparing a six or seven or even ten year old product is not a fair comparison since any product can decline in quality based on a lot of variables and the Prosine 1000 of six years ago is very likely to be a different animal from the Prosine 1000 that is manufactured today. Chuck
The problem started when I bought a BRAND NEW Xantrex Prowatt 2000
It failed right out of the box with error messages. Each time I started it up it had a different one, low voltage, (nope 13.2v) overload (nope, NO LOAD) over temperature (nope no load, not hot either).
Then the fans came on with a little bit of heat coming out. I hadn't even put a load on it. Being an electronics tech, I peeked inside to see if I could see anything obvious to just fix instead of messing around with returning it.

The soldering on the board was a horrible mess. It looked like it had been done by a drunk with "the shakes" in the dark!

Finally I sent it back after paying return shipping and requesting a replacement. Instead, the company (not Xantrex) dinged me 15% and refunded the difference. I realize that's not Xantrex's fault.

Fast forward, I purchased a 4 year old Prosine 1800, foolishly believing it would be "age tested". Boy was I wrong!

Even though the insides were pristine, with no signs of dirt, salt or bugs, it died after only a half hour.

I still hadn't put on any load,, just gotten it mounted and the 12 volt supply connected.
As before, the battery bank was the same that had powered an old 12 volt 2500 watt modified sine wave inverter for several years without incident.

I could not get any help at all from Xantrex, so I fixed a dead "parts" unit using the original purchase for parts.
It's working (so far).

If you read this as bashing, so be it, but it's the unvarnished truth.
I'll be the first one to compliment a company or individual for a job well done. This ain't the company that gets it from me.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 22:12   #11

Take one look at Amazon and it looks like Xantrex has turned into a complete cheapnese company. I'm personally looking at Outback Power and maybe Magnum Energy. Both are American made products and Outback Power has a five year warranty.
vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 05:34   #12

Quote:
Is the suggestion that those with good experiences should simply not respond and the OP only hear from those with bad experiences? It seems that would go to support the assertion of a 'high percentage' of failures.

I don't have the knowledge to ascertain the changes between my Prosine 1000 vs. what Xantrex is shipping today except to state they look identical, the specs are identical, the warranty is identical, and the manual is identical. If there is actual knowledge of internal changes, that would be valuable to the OP, assumptions are of lesser value.
Old 26-01-2011, 05:57   #13

DotDun, I am not suggesting that people with positive experiences not respond to these questions. I am only suggesting that those looking for advice consider the big picture and not just one comment either good or bad. I suggest that they do more research and consider the possibilities. This particularly come up in discussion of Raymarine equipment where many owners will attest to their 15 or 20 year old equipment working well. It is not the same equipment manufactured today. And I pass on my experience based on 35 years of installing this equipment and my first hand experience with failure rates of Xantrex products. This includes interaction with several Xantrex service facilities that have passed on to me the failures and repairs they deal with every day with Xantrex products. Many of my experiences have been identical to senormechanico, and for me this is based on installing hundreds of Xantrex inverters and chargers. Your unit may very well be identical to newer units in every way EXCEPT, manufacturing locations have changed and quality control appears to be extremely poor, as is customer and after market service and repair. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 26-01-2011, 06:16   #14

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
Reader also beware: IMHO some of these forums are seeded/salted (depending on your viewpoint) with vested interests and not all of them acknowledge their formal relationships with manufacturers or dealers all of the time. Most do. Some do not. Just sayin'... That said, it is value-added here for those having it to contribute hard data and to correct errors - but please reveal potential conflicts of interest, if any.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 06:27   #15

Quote:
DotDun, I am not suggesting that people with positive experiences not respond to these questions. I am only suggesting that those looking for advice consider the big picture and not just one comment either good or bad. I suggest that they do more research and consider the possibilities. This particularly come up in discussion of Raymarine equipment where many owners will attest to their 15 or 20 year old equipment working well. It is not the same equipment manufactured today. And I pass on my experience based on 35 years of installing this equipment and my first hand experience with failure rates of Xantrex products. This includes interaction with several Xantrex service facilities that have passed on to me the failures and repairs they deal with every day with Xantrex products. Many of my experiences have been identical to senormechanico, and for me this is based on installing hundreds of Xantrex inverters and chargers. Your unit may very well be identical to newer units in every way EXCEPT, manufacturing locations have changed and quality control appears to be extremely poor, as is customer and after market service and repair. Chuck
I think we agree, one should state their experiences and let the OP draw their own conclusions. Attempts to discount others' experiences and trying to convince the OP to agree with one's own conclusion happens far to often on CF.

Tags
inverter