Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-02-2011, 13:17   #46

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk
I have never owed a Xantrex but I did install a Magnum Energy MS 2000 inverter/charger about three years ago. The unit has been a great unit. I later installed the Magnum Battery Monitor unit. When installing the inverter I called their support group and received great support. About two months ago, I finally got around to trying to understand some of the data the battery monitor unit was providing. After scratching my head for a day or so, having a couple of electrical technical type friends looking at the data, I finally call tech support. After working with me on the phone for a few minutes it was decided that the monitor should be shipped back to the factory for testing. This unit was past the warranty period. Within two weeks I received a new monitor which I installed this weekend and it worked perfectly. Based on my experience, I would recommend this company. The story I heard was that Magnum was formed by ex-employees of Xantrex who became disillusioned with he quality of Xantrex products.

Old 01-02-2011, 13:24   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Goodness Senormechanico, will all the papmpering youre giving thoses electrons, how the hell am I going to get any work out of mine, soon theyll all be on your boat.!! Its a wonder your invertor actually wakes up at all,

Dave
Nah, I have a 50 amp automatic transfer switch in our home's backup, but the boat just has a cheapo modified sine 300 watt unit wired to one outlet in the galley.

Old 01-02-2011, 13:37   #48
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

so you turn off all the loads at home before the ATS switches over, I'm impressed.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 13:37   #49

Location: back on Gold Coast after sailing north to Thailand then east to Pacific via Irian Jaya, PNG & Solomons
Boat: Tennant 47ft Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
make sure you have a 2 way switch,will blow up inverter if still connnected when reconnected to shore power,unless it has a ups capability
If I have hotwired an inverter into the house bank, is there any problem leaving it switched on if the charger is putting power into the batteries from a shore power hook up? Is a 2WSwitch still required? Also how can i get my battery monitor to measure the current been drawn out of this new inverter?

I would still need to run a proper sized cable from both the negative and positive terminals of the battery bank.

I have a 1500 watt inverter / charger already but have had to purchase a separate pure sine wave inverter (600W) to run my computers and Dremel tool (another active thread on CF) which won't run off the modified sine wave power that my Xantrex puts out.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 13:50   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
so you turn off all the loads at home before the ATS switches over, I'm impressed.

Dave
I hope you realize it was a joke.

Power goes out. A couple of seconds later, power comes back on.

I have a split AC panel with 220 volt and heavy use stuff and our dock on the grid side of the transfer switch.
The rest of the house (lighting, computers, freezer, refrigerator etc.) gets fed by the inverter.
I then go around the house turning off any unnecessary loads while running on the 1100 aH battery bank.

It's worked like that for at least 10 years, 9 1/2 with a modified sine.
Old 01-02-2011, 14:13   #51
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yes I realise its a joke, what I was getting at is its not neccessary in any good invertor design to remove the loads before the switch on. Once the loads are within the invertor capacity.

Dave

Tags
inverter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: