Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 09:06   #1

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot
Installing a fuel polishing system

I am in the process of adding a proper tank gauge to my stainless steel 60 litre diesel tank , as the sight gauge is hard to read especially below half full. In the process, I intend to add a basic fuel polishing setup comprising a 115 Lph fuel pump which draws just over 1amp and and a Parker Racor 500FG diesel fuel filter water separator. I will use the two spigots of the sight gauge as the outlet and inlet for the polisher setup. My question is, would it be okay to wire the pump through the ignition switch directly, so that when the ignition is turned on, the pump runs and starts polishing the fuel. The ignition panel is for a Yanmar 2GM20 comprising the keyed ignition switch, a start button and four warning lights. Is the ignition switch man enough to carry this continuous load? I also intend to add a bypass switch to be able to switch it on directly without turning on the ignition so that I can run it once a month for an hour in the winter to keep the fuel 'sweet'. I might add I use motor diesel here in UK to avoid red diesel issues with going foreign. my usage is is so little that I don't consider the extra cost to be an issue. The boat is a Parker 27.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:13   #2

Re: Installing a fuel polishing system

If you plan to add an ancillary switch for the polisher, why not just leave it at that? This way you have control over just when you operate it whether the motor is running or not. You might find that once you start polishing and using algaecides, you might not need to clean as often as every time you motor.
dlymn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

My advice is to install a timer switch. Then you can turn it on when you want and let it turn itself off.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your motor returns a significant amount of fuel already, so it is polishing the fuel as you motor anyway.
When you install that "proper" fuel gauge, do not eliminate that old fashioned manual float gauge, as I bet one day when the proper one malfunctions, that manual one will be your back up.

I won't say fuel polishers are unnecessary, but I do question the need, seems boats are the only vehicles that need to polish their fuel, why is that?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:34   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your motor returns a significant amount of fuel already, so it is polishing the fuel as you motor anyway.
When you install that "proper" fuel gauge, do not eliminate that old fashioned manual float gauge, as I bet one day when the proper one malfunctions, that manual one will be your back up.

I won't say fuel polishers are unnecessary, but I do question the need, seems boats are the only vehicles that need to polish their fuel, why is that?
Because the fuel tends to sit in the tanks for a long time compared to trucks and cars, and some fuel docks don't have the same turn over of their supply as a truck stop, making it more likely you'll purchase contaminated fuel.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:52   #6

Quote:

Yeah, the tank is what... a little over 16 gallons total? (60 litres) Not worth the effort maybe....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 16:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only thing I see you accomplish with fuel polishing is you put the contaminates into the polishers filters as opposed to the engines filters?
I'd understand if for example the engine only filtered to 10 and you polished to 2, but both the engine and I assume the polisher filter to 2, so what is accomplished? Either way the engine fuel system only gets fuel contaminates that are less than 2 microns?
Old 22-10-2016, 16:15   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Only thing I see you accomplish with fuel polishing is you put the contaminates into the polishers filters as opposed to the engines filters?
I'd understand if for example the engine only filtered to 10 and you polished to 2, but both the engine and I assume the polisher filter to 2, so what is accomplished? Either way the engine fuel system only gets fuel contaminates that are less than 2 microns?
The engine does not circulate and turn over the fuel fast enough to be considered polished. The polisher flow rate is much higher and if installed properly will actually circulate over and scrub the fuel tank bottom to prevent any biological growth.

Our fuel polisher pumps 150 gallons per hour through the Separ filter.

If you don't believe a proper polishing system works, then by all means don't install one. But nearly everyone we know who hasn't istalled a system (which is most people), eventually complains of having contaminated fuel in their tanks at some point, and then pays more than the price of a fuel polishing system to have the mess cleaned up.

The choice is yours.
Old 22-10-2016, 17:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yours moves 150 GPH through a 2 micron filter?
Where do you get the replacement filter? Cost?
My filters seem to always last at least 100 hours, longer really and take about 30 sec to replace, so I have never seen the need.
You polisher, are the filters much larger than a Racor 500?
Old 22-10-2016, 17:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

a64pilot, what does the bottom and sides of your tank look like? If you ever have a fuel line plugged in a seaway you will become a believer. At least I am.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:02   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Yours moves 150 GPH through a 2 micron filter?
Where do you get the replacement filter? Cost?
My filters seem to always last at least 100 hours, longer really and take about 30 sec to replace, so I have never seen the need.
Your polisher, are the filters much larger than a Racor 500?
It's a large Separ filter which would make the owner of a 100ft powerboat proud about twice the size of a Racor 500.

After the fuel is polished, it then runs through a Racor 500 before hitting the final engine fuel filter. The same with the generator which has it's own separate Racor 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	133469  
Old 22-10-2016, 21:57   #12

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's a large Separ filter which would make the owner of a 100ft powerboat proud about twice the size of a Racor 500.

After the fuel is polished, it then runs through a Racor 500 before hitting the final engine fuel filter. The same with the generator which has it's own separate Racor 500.
Excellent

What pump do you use on this beast?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 02:07   #13

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Thanks for all your replies but no one has answered the question of whether the ignition switch is man enough for the job. I would rather the pump ran when the engine is running as there is a plentiful supply of electrical power. Also, as Kenomac said, the reason for fuel polishing as opposed to relying on the engine filter, is the greater flow through the filter and the fact that in sailboats, the fuel sits for long periods unused and with the greater amounts of biodiesel now added to fuel especially road diesel (up to 10%) it is more important than ever to ensure it is kept clean. I steam cleaned the tank beginning of last year and when I emptied the tank the other day in preparation for the tank gauge installation, found there was already evidence of contaminations after only 18 months, hence the reason for the a fuel polisher.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 04:02   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I may he wrong but I think the only 12v continuous power out lead on your sign switch goes to the excite alternator. That's the reason we ran independent switches for our blowers. I didn't want anything interfering with our alternators performance. You could have a diff switch , ours are standard yanmar panels 2gms

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 04:04   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I don't think you should. I think but could be wrong your only constant 12v out off your ign sw excites the alternator. We have same engs and ran Separate switches for our blowers.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel