Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 16:26   #46

Re: Installing a fuel polishing system

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Then I would suggest the dual Racor setup, you can turn a handle quickly?
Fuel polishing is not going to make it so a filter never clogs, you guys know that right?

On edit, monitoring the vacuum occasionally will give you advance warning too.
Not right.

2000 gallons of polished fuel used over a three year period and no clogged filters. I did change one Racor and the Separ filter early last season because the filter element was dark, but the vacuum gage didn't indicate a change was necessary.

We polish our fuel weekly and after any fill up.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:56   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My experience with 3 boats that I had the tanks cleaned and polished professionally is the filters stayed very clean from then on. But I do motor a lot so my fuel probably didn't get too old. Once your tank and system are truly clean there is no reason you should have a problem.... other than a bad fuel source of course.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 17:12   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not right.

2000 gallons of polished fuel used over a three year period and no clogged filters. I did change one Racor and the Separ filter early last season because the filter element was dark, but the vacuum gage didn't indicate a change was necessary.

We polish our fuel weekly and after any fill up.

In three years and 2000 gls you never clogged a filter, then you have believe it or not proved my point, you didn't need a fuel polisher, you bought clean fuel and kept it clean or else you would have clogged filters.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 17:16   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Think of it this way, if every time you bought a hundred gls of fuel or so your polisher filter clogged, then in fact you needed it, fuel was dirty and the filter was cleaning the dirt out.
But since you passed 2000 gls of fuel through the filter and it still wasn't clogged, you didn't need it.
Just like an air filter, if after thousands of hours motoring if it's not dirty, then it wasn't needed.
Old 23-10-2016, 17:19   #50

Quote:
Then I would suggest the dual Racor setup, you can turn a handle quickly?
Fuel polishing is not going to make it so a filter never clogs, you guys know that right?

On edit, monitoring the vacuum occasionally will give you advance warning too.
Hi a64pilot,

At the time I had owned the boat for 9 days and 650 miles into the delivery "home port", the PO had promised the the fuel tank was good on my enquiry,"Hmm"

I'm in the final process of fitting a fuel polishing system, needed as I can not get to the tank to clean it out and fitting a totally separate fuel tank system "Bag" with switch over. Maybe overkill but it extends the amount of fuel I carry as well.

35 years ago I purchased a 4WD off of a German engineer gold miner whom had fitted a water sludge catcher at the filler and to my surprise every time I put fuel in to her there was water and sludge in it to be cleaned out, sometimes the amount of gunk and water shocked me.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 17:27   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I understand, I went through and may well still be going through cleaning out an old tank by the fuel it and burn it method. The fact that my pickup tube clogged is evidence there is still stuff in there, but seeing as how I'm not clogging Racors, then in my case a fuel polisher wouldn't help. Cause think this out, a fuel polisher is of course a pump and a filter, if one filter isn't getting dirty, why would a different filter?

But having run old farm tractors and other heavy equipment all my life, I can tell you the best thing you can do is turn your fuel, that is only have a big enough tank so that fuel doesn't get more than a few months old.
Stamped on the fuel cap of old International Harvester farm tractors were the words " buy clean fuel, keep it clean" . That is still true, and to me that means good Racors and Biobor jf in every fill.
Old 23-10-2016, 18:15   #52

Quote:
I understand, I went through and may well still be going through cleaning out an old tank by the fuel it and burn it method. The fact that my pickup tube clogged is evidence there is still stuff in there, but seeing as how I'm not clogging Racors, then in my case a fuel polisher wouldn't help. Cause think this out, a fuel polisher is of course a pump and a filter, if one filter isn't getting dirty, why would a different filter?

But having run old farm tractors and other heavy equipment all my life, I can tell you the best thing you can do is turn your fuel, that is only have a big enough tank so that fuel doesn't get more than a few months old.
Stamped on the fuel cap of old International Harvester farm tractors were the words " buy clean fuel, keep it clean" . That is still true, and to me that means good Racors and Biobor jf in every fill.
Some engine manufactures recommend not to use biocides in the fuel and if you have work commitments getting to turn the fuel over is not an option and changing a dirty polishing filter, the cost is to me in my situation is money well spent.

I am searching for wire gauze similar to what was on the my 4WD pre tank filter so I do not contaminate the fuel bag though it will only take 30 minutes too remove it off the the boat to clean it. One problem with the pre tank filter is pissing of the next person that wants to use the fuelling dock because of the time it takes to fill the tank. I have seen people shoot the fuel into drums then siphoning into their tank with great results of water and gunk left in the bottom of the drums.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 18:31   #53

Quote:

Not sure why you're even choosing to participate on this thread when you're clearly so anti-fuel polisher for some unknown reason. You clearly do not understand the concept.

I'll try one final time:

One starts with a clean tank (which you don't have), then polishes the fuel on a regular basis to rid the fuel of impurities and water in order to prevent the synthesis or rather the growth of the stuff (sludge, organic material, or "tofu" as you call it) in the tank. It's this stuff (which you now have coating the inside of your tank) which breaks loose and clogs the filters and pickup tube. This fuel filter clogging tank stuff does not exist in our fuel tank because.... we began with a clean tank and now polish our fuel, therefore eliminating the enviroment for it to grow.

Fuel polishing is pro-active, what you're doing is mopping up the problem on a continuous after the fact basis. Your problem never goes away..... we never have your problem, the issue is solved on our boat.

If you want to continue mopping up after each clog... go for it! But contrary to your view, fuel polishing works... just ask most powerboat owners.

Now back to the OP:

It's better to put your polisher on it's own breaker so you can polish your fuel anytime and not necessarily only when the engine runs.
Old 23-10-2016, 19:23   #54

Boat: C & C 36

By all means add the polisher! I would power it with a separate supply other than power thru the ignition. You will probably end up polishing fuel more often.
I was amazed at how much alge grew in our 20 gal fuel tank! We found out the hard way & added the polishing system to our C & C. A good investment!
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:38   #55

Quote:
Larger boats have larger fuel tanks so they're able to motor over greater distances. Larger boats aren't always traveling great distances, so the fuel sometimes sits in the tank for longer periods of time. When diesel is polished on a regular basis and the impurities are removed by the polishing process, there is no shelf life for the diesel..... it can last for many years without causing a sludge or blockage issue. With a proper polisher, there is no hurry to "turn your fuel."
Old 24-10-2016, 01:06   #56

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
It's a large Separ filter which would make the owner of a 100ft powerboat proud about twice the size of a Racor 500.

After the fuel is polished, it then runs through a Racor 500 before hitting the final engine fuel filter. The same with the generator which has it's own separate Racor 500.
Nice to see an installation done with care and pride. Where is it located on your boat?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 03:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Nice to see an installation done with care and pride. Where is it located on your boat?
Thanks.

The fuel polishing module is tucked away behind the saloon cushions, the filters shown (dual Racors for the engine and the Separ) are located in the workshop near the engine and the generator Racor is under the saloon floorboards next to the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	133616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	133617  

Old 24-10-2016, 04:26   #58

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:

A sailing boat is not like a tractor in so far as the fuel is very much harder to keep fresh. I sometimes go up to 2 years between fill ups, so a procedure needs to be there to prevent the diesel bug blocking pipes.

What happens is that algae builds up slowly over time and eventually coats the tanks, so if the slime is stuck to the tank wall and you look at your clean filter you may think the tank is clean, but it isn't. Or if you think that because the main filter hasn't picked up gunk then a polisher won't either, then that is the wrong approach. You need to do the filtering when the gunk is in suspension, so ideally during or maybe just after an into-wind bouncy trip. Do the polishing then regularly and you will keep the build up to low levels and you will are more likely to see gunk on the filter. Maybe test it. Run the engine during a bumpy trip. The return fuel will run through the filter and reveal any problem. If there is one then you can repeat this regularly to keep on top of it, or run a polisher regularly to reduce the build up.

I think biobor is a good idea and I use it too.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 05:08   #59

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Thanks.

The fuel polishing module is tucked away behind the saloon cushions, the filters shown (dual Racors for the engine and the Separ) are located in the workshop near the engine and the generator Racor is under the saloon floorboards next to the generator.
That's what your workshop looks like? Well I suppose that's what you get with an Oyster . Nice!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 05:30   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ken,
I'm not against a fuel polisher. Just I believe that the vast majority of people don't need one, if your not regularly clogging filters, you don't need one.
One thing that is prelevant on the internet is people get to reading these threads and convince themselves this is something else they need, you know to ensure they have every thing they may need. I have fallen into that trap myself.
I think there is great wisdom in those that have said, be sure you have the safety gear, and then go. After being out for awhile you will decide what you need and what you don't. To some dropping 2K on the newest must have thing is no problem and it gives them a sense of satisfaction in being well equipped, but to some 2 K is a lot of money, money that I believe most don't need to spend.
But I go back to if your not clogging filters regularly, then you don't need one, and if your buying one for fear of clogging a filter at the wrong time, buy the twin Racor instead.
To buy a good one like you have is about $2,000, I have looked.
My fuel tank problem is very likely that I'm cleaning off the old varnish on the walls of the tank with ULSD, you see my boat ran for years with old type Diesel, then of course started using ULSD, and ULSD has solvent properties that will strip varnish etc for a while, then of course when it's clean, it's clean. Real common on Farm tanks around here, when they first switch over, they clog a few filter for a few tanks, then things go back to normal.
If I could have my tank cleaned I would, but it's a case of the cure being worse than the disease. The tofu has been gone for years, that was dead algae and once gone, has not returned. My tank is essentially not accessible. I have changed one set of filters in the two years I have had the dual Racor setup. To me that doesn't warrant spending two grand.
That is my point, that most don't need to spend the cash is all.

Tags
fuel