Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 07:40   #1

Installimg and using my new 400 watt Airx Wind Generator on my Hunter 30

Hello fellow sailors!

For Christmas last year my wife got me a AirX 400 watt wind generator and all the hardware to set it up on the stern of my Hunter 30. Needless to say it has been hibernating in the original boxes and mailing tubes for over a year now....my question is should I use it to recharge batteries on board or to plug appliances directly into the power of the wind...or perhaps both? Is there an A/C converter that plugs directly the generator or is it better to just use a standard converter connected to the on board batteries?

Thank you for any suggestions anyone can offer!
Tom ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ONeill
Hello fellow sailors!

For Christmas last year my wife got me a AirX 400 watt wind generator and all the hardware to set it up on the stern of my Hunter 30. Needless to say it has been hibernating in the original boxes and mailing tubes for over a year now....my question is should I use it to recharge batteries on board or to plug appliances directly into the power of the wind...or perhaps both? Is there an A/C converter that plugs directly the generator or is it better to just use a standard converter connected to the on board batteries?

Thank you for any suggestions anyone can offer!
No converter needed, the wind gen will not work unless it's connected to the batteries. Think of it as a wind powered battery charger.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:46   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Installimg and using my new 400 watt Airx Wind Generator on my Hunter 30

Welcome aboard, Tom. You'll definitely want to use the windgen to charge the batteries and run your stuff off the bank, although it could be kinda exciting the other way! A marine A/C inverter is the best way to go, but quite expensive. We've used the cheap inverters and they've worked fine for us, although we had to replace twice in 5 years. I never feel comfortable leaving it on when it's not in use. Make sure its wattage is much higher than what you want to normally run, and consider how many amps you can store in your batteries...you're probably not going to be able to run any high wattage stuff except maybe for a few seconds at a time. Forget the hair dryer and the space heater! Hope this helps...there is tons of more (and probably better!) information on the forum on this subject.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind generator