Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2014, 14:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: Installed Battery Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Happy: maybe you should consider NiMH for the 32" boat. I'd think they're sold everywhere parts are for said same boat.

My C30 - 230Ah + a 80Ah reserve battery. Small fridge, AP. 160W solar + 50A alternator on the wheezy A4 (and no way will it ever output 50A). Plugged into shore power except when at Catalina or on a day sail. It's plenty. Can be off shore power indefinitely as long as its sunny.
jeepster... It's not the investment... I simply am like a petulant child when I discover that my "on deck" house bank is only 70% SOC...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 14:18   #17

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You don't know?????????? I could just tell you, but I'm not and hope you look it up.
Well, my battery monitor shows amps@24V -- so that is what I use when I figure capacity (430Ah). However, when comparing capacity to 12V systems it makes more sense to compare Watt-Hours -- or, if converting to 12V-Ah is 860.

Old 26-09-2014, 14:25   #18

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If I may hijack the thread a bit, I am much more interested in what the max and average amp draw for people on their boats. At 12 volts. Or one can say the watts if you prefer. So if you want to boast of your battery size, can you also say how much power you draw too? Thanks.
Old 26-09-2014, 14:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If I may hijack the thread a bit, I am much more interested in what the max and average amp draw for people on their boats. At 12 volts. Or one can say the watts if you prefer. So if you want to boast of your battery size, can you also say how much power you draw too? Thanks.
It depends on what is running, of course.

There was a recent thread about espresso machines. When our espresso machine runs, it consumes 37-42A @ 24V. Fortuntaely, it only heats for about one minute.

Our refrigeration system uses between 15A and 28A (@24V), depending on the speed control on the compressor. How often it runs depends...

Other big consumers of power include the ice-maker (approx 8A @ 24V), the toaster (approx 25A @ 24V -- for short periods), and the vacuum cleaner (~18A).

The autopilot consumption is highly variable. I suspect that, on average, it is about 5A@24V.

Our chart-plotters are very power hungry, for chart-plotters. I think they are probably ~4A each. When radar is on, much higher.

I'd try to give you a daily power budget, but it depends on who is on the boat and what we're doing.
Old 26-09-2014, 14:42   #20

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Mine has been upgraded to six 125Ah 12V batteries. This works well for my purposes.

Mine is set w/ one dedicated to starting the generator.

Yes, batteries degrade over time and usage. Factor 5-10% Ah capacity loss per year.
Quote:
If I may hijack the thread a bit, I am much more interested in what the max and average amp draw for people on their boats. At 12 volts. Or one can say the watts if you prefer. So if you want to boast of your battery size, can you also say how much power you draw too?
On my boat the big draws are: the 'fridge, around 8A, continuous during the summer; the stereo, over 100A at ear bleeding volumes and the high-volume high-pressure compressor, around 150-180A, all at 12V nominal.

On the other end I've got a 60A charger to replenish the batteries, when plugged in or when the generator is running. I'll be upgrading that to a larger output soon.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:28   #21

Boat: Freydis 49' Cat

400Ah @24v Lithium
60A microwave
saw over 100A when the oven grill was switched on, turned it off in a hurry. (This was on the previous batteries 8 T125 x6v)
Regards
Paul
Old 26-09-2014, 15:44   #22

Boat: csy 37

1 size 29 for engine start. 4 golf carts - 450ah - as house batts. Average daily draw is about 80 amps.
Old 26-09-2014, 16:21   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We have as follows:

House bank = 4 x 4d gels @ 215Ah each. But we run 24V house system. Does that count as 430Ah or 860Ah?
If the batts are 12 Volt, you are 430 Ah @ 24 Volt.

If the batts are 6 Volt, you are 215 Ah @ 24 Volt.

Etc.

b.
Old 26-09-2014, 16:40   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No point in carrying more than you can readily recharge.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 17:23   #25

Boat: Cascade 36

36' 4 Golf Cart 6V in one bank, around 420 AH.
also 1 group 31 in a back up role. around 100 AH.

Both are constantly topped up a by 230 watt solar panel flat mounted with a Sunsavor MPPT15 charge controller.

On a mooring 24/7, leave the fridge on 24/7. In the morning before the sun gets going the batteries are usually around 12.6v.
Old 26-09-2014, 17:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If the batts are 12 Volt, you are 430 Ah @ 24 Volt.

If the batts are 6 Volt, you are 215 Ah @ 24 Volt.

Etc.

b.
Yes, they are 12v....but when comparing battery capacity of a 24V boat, does it make sense to convert to 12v-aH?

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-09-2014, 18:02   #27

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No point in carrying more than you can readily recharge.
The charger and the rate depends on both the battery chemistry and the ampere-hour capacity.

The Lifeline Battery Technical Manual lists the preferred charge rate as 0.2C to 5C for the AGM battery, 20A to 500A of charging current for a 100Ah battery. (pages 19 and 20 in the link)
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 07:27   #28

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:

Our normal minimum (house) load is about 192 Ah/day (~4 Amps/hour on each of two banks). Plus 48 Ah/day (starboard bank) for our hard-wired AIS transceiver.

We seldom exceed that by very much without engines running; usually the rest of our bridge electronics are off when we're at anchor.

-Chris
Old 27-09-2014, 09:48   #29

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

4 year old gels rated at 720AH. 400AH capacity tested 6 months ago. On the hook 95% of the time.
Old 27-09-2014, 09:48   #30

Boat: Binliner 195

Hi all, First post here so please be gentle with me Been working in off grid solar for a few years & may be able to offer a little incite into your premature battery failure, A few things to think about below,
Temperature compensation, Well lack of it from what I see ? Batteries need a higher charge voltage if they are cold and a lower one when warm, If you do not compensate, you get deficit charging when cold & overcharging when hot (25c is most manufactures "standard")
Bank sizing, Whilst it seems good to go "big" on AH if you are not going to use it can be a bad thing, These batteries are by name "deep cycle" they need to be deep cycled otherwise they sulphate & stratify, If do have a "big" bank it is wise to give them a hard discharge down to about %40 before EQ,
Charge, Most recommend (FLA) 5 to 15% of 20Hr rate, In an off grid solar environment 10% is about ideal, Do not forget to factor in any loads running in background, if you are a small user, 5% is about the low end,
Service/EQ, Every 100 cycles to 50% DOD or about every 6 months you should service & EQ (Equalise) A good visual check, no green snot, check water, If it is OK, do not top up yet as it will expand, If you have to, only add a bit or it will get messy, Check and record all SG's, Place battery on normal charge, Check and record SG's about every hour untill SG stops rising, Increase battery voltage to ( "read the manual"normally 15.2v) EQ voltage, Monitoring & compensating for temperature, (stop if cell hits 45c) Check every hour untill SG's stop rising,Try to top up water "just before the end" or if you have to add a lot at the end give them another half hour to mix, If you have never done this (EQ) you WILL notice a difference
NOTE, You only EQ FLA (Flooded lead acid) batteries, NEVER EQ sealed batteries, They will go bang !
Battery monitors ,,,,,, ARGGGGHHH I hate them lol, They are only as good as they are set up, Are not temperature or load compensated & no matter what will drift over time, They can be a good indicator (& false sense of security) but I would strongly suggest getting two decent hydrometers ( you will break one ) checking SG's and calibrating your meter to them,
Have a good one
Tim
Good battery reading,Preventive Maintenance, Charging and Equalization (605) | Rolls Battery

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: