Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 08:22   #1

inexpensive batt charger with equalization

Hi GUYS.
i have 4 trogan 6v batteries , and I'm looking to find an relatively inexpensive battery charger that has equalation capabilities .the least expensive I've fond so far ia a 20 amp Xantrax for $420 cdn. any suggestions ?
thants
Nemisis
Nemisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: inexpensive batt charger with equalization

I purchased a go power charger last year. 4 stage, 32 amps $160. It's basic, but is good enough. It does have equalization. I two have 4 GC2's

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...966&id=1982743
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:49   #3

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

You can substitute a regulated DC power supply for a battery charger. A 30A power supply can be had for ~$250. Of course it's manually controlled, not automatic like a charger but in my opinion it solves all the issues inherent in most battery chargers like absorbtion termination and unobseved equalization.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 09:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I purchased a go power charger last year. 4 stage, 32 amps $160. It's basic, but is good enough. It does have equalization. I two have 4 GC2's

Sailorchic,

The price of that charger is attractive, but I believe it's absorbtion setting of 14.16v is too low to fully charge a flooded golf cart battery.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Sailorchic,

The price of that charger is attractive, but I believe it's absorbtion setting of 14.16v is too low to fully charge a flooded golf cart battery.
It's set at 14.4v, which is a tad low, but I have solar that will top it up anyway. For the price point, it does fairly well. Really I use it for bulk on cloudy/rainy days and let solar do the rest. It does put out 30 amps in bulk so for me it works.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:59   #6

Quote:
It's set at 14.4v, which is a tad low, but I have solar that will top it up anyway. For the price point, it does fairly well. Really I use it for bulk on cloudy/rainy days and let solar do the rest. It does put out 30 amps in bulk so for me it works.
Their spec sheet states 12.76 bulk and 12.16 absorption, but if you've readjusted the pots to suit your needs that works too.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Their spec sheet states 12.76 bulk and 12.16 absorption, but if you've readjusted the pots to suit your needs that works too.
Hum. we must be reading different spec sheets..

As someone who has one, I can verify that it will bulk charge to roughly 14.4v then switches to absorption. I have a volt meter and have checked it many times when mr. honda unloads, after 30-40 minutes.

Float is set at 13.4v. these readings based on my voltmeter.

Gee a charger that only bulk charges to 12.76v would be pointless. I for one am very happy with the performance. I am an engineer so pretty sure I'm reading the voltmeter right.

It's only good for a single battery bank, but for the typical cruiser with a fair size house bank and perhaps an echo charger and solar it does the job for a low entry cost.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:35   #8

Quote:
Hum. we must be reading different spec sheets..

As someone who has one, I can verify that it will bulk charge to roughly 14.4v then switches to absorption. I have a volt meter and have checked it many times when mr. honda unloads, after 30-40 minutes.

Float is set at 13.4v. these readings based on my voltmeter.

Gee a charger that only bulk charges to 12.76v would be pointless. I for one am very happy with the performance. I am an engineer so pretty sure I'm reading the voltmeter right.

It's only good for a single battery bank, but for the typical cruiser with a fair size house bank and perhaps an echo charger and solar it does the job for a low entry cost.

Apologies, I must have had a brain cramp when I wrote 12.76 and 12.16. I meant 14.76 and 14.16 respectively.

We may very well be reading different spec sheets. I'm reading this one https://www.defender.com/pdf/GPC-MAX_GoPower.pdf. See page seven.

My only point is that many, if not most, retail battery chargers do a poor job of fully charging a battery. And I have no doubt that you can use and read a volt meter.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Apologies, I must have had a brain cramp when I wrote 12.76 and 12.16. I meant 14.76 and 14.16 respectively.

We may very well be reading different spec sheets. I'm reading this one https://www.defender.com/pdf/GPC-MAX_GoPower.pdf. See page seven.

My only point is that many, if not most, retail battery chargers do a poor job of fully charging a battery. And I have no doubt that you can use and read a volt meter.
No worries... As I (and others) say, blonde happens.

Being someone without much $$$ I purchased the go power unit last year when the 25 year old Neumar charger died. I've been pleasantly surprised. No it's not as nice as a $500 charger, but for $160 it does what I wanted it to do.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:28   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would not buy any charge source that did not allow fully user-adjustable voltage setpoints.

And if a large-amp unit, also allow derating current for use with sub-par shore power and smaller gennies.

There are many ways that saving a couple hundred now may cost you more later on.

This is a once-off investment that should last decades, banks are consumables and I want to be able to use different chemistries without replacing my permanent infrastructure.

Sterling for the win for shore chargers, IMO amps sized at least .4C, maybe .6C for future growth.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 11:44   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I would not buy any charge source that did not allow fully user-adjustable voltage setpoints.
LOL, Some of us, do not have deep pockets. The OP asked for a inexpensive battery charger. As a woman on little means, A $150 battery charger is what my budget would allow. Actually got it on sale last year for $125. I only had $300 total (life savings no less... UGH) at the time I purchased the go power. No it's not the best. But it's good enough.
Old 28-03-2018, 12:20   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I have often cut my food budget for a month or two to be able to afford better quality when investing in permanent infrastructure. Nothing's a greater waste than having to buy another one later.

Of course in some cases, just not possible, but when it is,

Buy it right, buy it once.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 09:27   #13

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:

The Go Power looks to be similar style to a lot of RV style chargers, there are quite a few other RV chargers out (i.e. different amperages etc) there that might work well at a price point well below the standard marine charger.

Our boat came with a very nice ProNautic 12-10P charger, does all the nice things to maintain batteries when she's at our marina, but at 10a not a good solution if I need to top up with generator, so I am planning to use as a temporary / backup solution an RV style generator such as this 45a RV charger:
https://www.amazon.com/Powermax-Supp.../dp/B00F8MC42C
Of course unknown how long / well it will last in a marine environment, but it's not like it lives in the cockpit or something.

-- Bass
Old 29-03-2018, 10:11   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
The Go Power looks to be similar style to a lot of RV style chargers, there are quite a few other RV chargers out (i.e. different amperages etc) there that might work well at a price point well below the standard marine charger.
Yes, the cheap go power chargers/converters are used in lots of RV's too. I figure if I get 5 years out of it I'm way ahead over a $500 "Marine" charger.
Old 29-03-2018, 10:23   #15

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

at the risk of creating a firestorm......AND being 75......I think you're wrong!
GREY happens....blonde is a choice!
PLEASE all ...LOL
Bill

No worries... As I (and others) say, blonde happens.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, equalization