Like you my boat has hydraulic steering
. Some years ago I had exactly the problem you are having now. I solved
the problem by increasing the size of the drive wheel on the motor unit.
It has been a number of years since I made this modification. I did use this autopilot
for a number of years and it worked very well. The unit was sold some years ago and I now have a hydraulic autopilot. Due to the unit being sold and the length of time since I made this modification I can't give you dimensions or provide photos of the modified unit.
The following assumes that your 3000 autopilot is constructed the same as my unit was.
What I did was to make a mold
for the new drive wheel using a piece of pipe, a piece of wood, some glue, some screws, a short length of spare drive belt, micro-ball filled epoxy
, WD-40, and the old drive wheel. The inside diameter of the pipe needs to accommodate a short length of drive belt with a proper set of teeth. Tape made need to be used to shim the pipe so that the piece of drive belt fits snugly. The pipes inside diameter must also be small enough so that the drive belt will not slip off the drive motor.
Use a six inch (or so) square piece of wood as the base for the mold
. Mark the approximate center of the wood and center the pipe on this mark. Cut the piece of drive belt to size and glue it to the inside of the pipe (teeth pointing inward and shamed as necessary) so that the belt edge matches the bottom edge of the pipe. Drill a guide hole at the center mark on the wood piece for a screw to hold the old wheel in place. Glue or screw the pipe to the wood so that the old drive wheel is centered in the mold and the belt end of the pipe is against the wood. Spray the inside of the mold with WD-40. Clean the old drive wheel to ensure that the epoxy
will stick to it. Use a screw to tightly attach the drive wheel to the wood. Mix the epoxy and micro-balls. Pour the epoxy mixture into the mold making sure that it is even with the top of the old drive wheel and that there are no voids. Once the epoxy has set the new drive wheel should just pop out of the mold.
Remount the 3000 autopilot with the new drive wheel and away you go!