Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 05:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats

I have 1KW on my IP 38, no pics yet and no real data on output etc yet either as I'm tied to a dock with shorepower. Should get some pics this weekend.
However there is a budget way to do things, I bought four left over panels from a large installer and paid 50c a watt, so I have $500 in panels, the frame I built out of scrap 2024 T3 extrusions so that was free and I paid about $500 for my Outback 80.
I have I think about $300 in wire, connectors / fuses etc. and I went overboard and used a fused / lightning protected combiner box.
So I think I have about $1300 in a Kilowatt of Solar, could have done it for $1,100 if I had not gone with the combiner box.

So it can be done on a budget
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:26   #17

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Our small scale set up to add to the mix

Type and model and size of boat.
Bavaria Cruiser 40, 2010, Farr/BMW

Total Panel Output (How much power can be generated?)
2x 35watt

Panel Size: How big are the panels? Individual? Total area required?
1417mm x 425m (external dimensions

Age of Panels: When did you install the panels?
3 years old

Panel Location: Where is the panel located and does it cause problems there? Does it cause problems with any other gear or while sailing? Does it cause windage problems? Has shading of the panels been a problem due to location of the panels and surrounding rigging or equipment?
Panels are tied onto the top of the bimini with one on the rearward sloping panel and one flat on top. Relatively easy to put in place and secure. No windage problems and minimal shading issues except when sun off the bow.

Type and Brand of Panel: Who made the panel? What type of panel is it? Marine or Domestic (land) panel? Origin?
SpectraFlex Panels, purchased from Marlec in the UK. Marine/Weatherproof design

Total Cost: How much did it cost to build the system? How much was each panel?
£300 per panel plus cost of controller and wiring

Total Efficiency: Do you consider the installation efficient? Please any comments that may help another improve efficiency, based on your experience.
Purchased to top up the battery and increase time on anchor without using engine. Leave 1 tied on the coachroof over winter to top up the house battery and prolong life. Done their job excellently in my humble opinion.

Damage? Has the installation been damaged by wind or corrosion or breakage?
No

What would you do differently next time? Tips? Different type of panel?
Not much, longer tie down lines maybe

Any problems? Disappointments? Surprises? Disatisfaction? Issues? Weaknesses of gear or system?

How has adding the solar affected your sailing or cruising?
Prolonged endurance electrically on anchor and piece of mind for the house battery condition over winter.

I'm thinking of adding 2x 25watt and 1x 50w walk on semi flexible panels on the coachroof up forward to increase capacity and provide permanent top up charge for the batteries over winter. And swapping my basic charger for an improved MPPT controller but that's a longer term plan.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:26   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Great thread.
Most helpful in planning my solar panel relocation / replacement.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:25   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Photo showing relationship between, panels, boom, and sky.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	140813  
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have 1KW on my IP 38, no pics yet...

I for one can't wait to see photos. I would love to see how you have managed to fit so much solar on a mono of a similar size to ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-02-2017, 12:32   #21

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I for one can't wait to see photos. I would love to see how you have managed to fit so much solar on a mono of a similar size to ours.
Same here - initially I was thinking I'd have upwards of 2kW, then started doing some power:area calculations and realized that'd basically cover the exterior of the boat
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:36   #22

all means nothing unless you use your system 24/7 to live with what electrics you want and no generator ,marina uses dont qualify in my book and batteries cannot go below 50% and whole system must be realistic .My system relys mostly on direct appropiate wiring inverter pure syn NOT too big, simple cheap batteries (max 4) .use system wisely and monitor as often as poss. dont rely on gadgets, of course there are critics but I have lived 24/7 with solar for 25years , too qaulify I live near tropic of capricorn mostly must have good frig and tv (less and less so).of course pumps lav. lites.etc. 240v chargers.etc.KISS get it
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:03   #23

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
I have 1KW on my IP 38, no pics yet and no real data on output etc yet either as I'm tied to a dock with shorepower. Should get some pics this weekend.
However there is a budget way to do things, I bought four left over panels from a large installer and paid 50c a watt, so I have $500 in panels, the frame I built out of scrap 2024 T3 extrusions so that was free and I paid about $500 for my Outback 80.
I have I think about $300 in wire, connectors / fuses etc. and I went overboard and used a fused / lightning protected combiner box.
So I think I have about $1300 in a Kilowatt of Solar, could have done it for $1,100 if I had not gone with the combiner box.

So it can be done on a budget
I am curious to see how you did this. I am in a boat of similar length and also a cutter rigged boat limiting what can be place anywhere other than above a Bimini or on something akin to a set of davits which I do not have. I am looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing how you chose your controller(s).
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:09   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Ditto. I’ve squeezed 400 watts onto my 37-foot double-ender and I thought I was doing well. I could probably find room for another couple hundred … maybe. But 1000 Watts! Holy Solar Cells Batman! a64pilot, we gotta see some pics!
Old 06-02-2017, 14:26   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats

Quote:

Sort of a garage for the dinghy, dinghy is slightly larger but not by much.
This is three 250 W panels, I have added a fourth since this photo, it covers the center of the Bimini, it is attached to the middle panel and to a Bimini bow with two dg clamps

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG
Views:	1805
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	140817

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG
Views:	1914
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	140818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	1693
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	140826
Old 06-02-2017, 16:20   #26

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Sort of a garage for the dinghy, dinghy is slightly larger but not by much.
This is three 250 W panels, I have added a fourth since this photo, it covers the center of the Bimini, it is attached to the middle panel and to a Bimini bow with two dg clamps

Thank you for those pics. Two questions come to me immediately:

1. They must be good high density/efficiency panels to get 250 watts at that apparent size, can you tell us the brand?

2. Do you notice the extra weight at the stern. I have been tempted to do what you have done but got nervous of all that weight aft. (But then canoe stern boats are sometimes considered more sensitive to weight distribution)

Finally, you should add that an advantage of your setup is that is must significantly reduce UV degradation of your dink. :^).

Old 06-02-2017, 16:38   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats

They are just Canadian Solar and I think Mage regular panels, nothing high speed there. Remember I paid 50c a watt. Boat is wider than we think.
Weight wise, no. It's an IP and they have enormous reserve buoyancy aft.
However with all the "stuff" I have added, she is down on the waterline about 2" from when I started. At the waterline, she is a canoe stern, meaning of course all of that flat wide part is out of the water. So I think just sitting there would be no difference.
There are of course downsides, they are not the best looking thing in the world and have to add windage, but being right on top of the dinghy, I'm not so sure how much.
Were it not for the TV dome and radar, they would get very little shading back there.
We are an electric intensive boat, and I don't want to have to rely on the generator daily. It's either this or severely curtail electric consumption.
Early on I figured out if I was going to get her to like it, I needed as much as possible to give her unlimited power and water. I'm already asking her to give up a lot, and she has never been the type to camp.
Old 06-02-2017, 18:56   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380

Type and model and size of boat.

Lagoon 380S2

Total Panel Output (How much power can be generated?)

1,200 watts - 7kwh/p/day

Panel Size: How big are the panels?

1,650 mm X 1,000 mm each

Individual? Total area required?

3,300 mm X 2,000 mm

Age of Panels: When did you install the panels?

4 weeks old - LG 320 watt X 4 domestic panels

Panel Location: Where is the panel located and does it cause problems there?

On a stainless steel structure above the davits. This has not caused any problems. In fact, it provides great shade.

Does it cause problems with any other gear or while sailing? Does it cause windage problems? Has shading of the panels been a problem due to location of the panels and surrounding rigging or equipment?

No problems of any kind thus far.

Type and Brand of Panel: Who made the panel? What type of panel is it? Marine or Domestic (land) panel? Origin?

LG 320 watt X 4 domestic panels. All the marine products I investigated had less power for more than double the money. The glass panes have anodised aluminium surrounds. What more would you want for a marine application?

Total Cost: How much did it cost to build the system? How much was each panel?

Panels $1,200 AUD
Victron 100 amp (at 12volts) Solar Controller, shunt BNV 702, colour display. $2,040 AUD
Stainless steel fabrication $6,500 AUD
Misc $500
Install - $0 By a friend who is an electrician and solar expert, Dave Boyle from Solar South. $0 (plus beer and a week at sea)

Total Efficiency: Do you consider the installation efficient? Please any comments that may help another improve efficiency, based on your experience.

It has exceeded my expectations. We never need to run the engines to charge the batteries. Yesterday we had rain and it was overcast all day and the batteries were fully charged by 2pm whilst keeping up with our load. Most days when sunny, batteries are fully charged before lunch and the solar controller has to reduce the charge accordingly.

Damage? Has the installation been damaged by wind or corrosion or breakage?

Too early to tell.

What would you do differently next time? Tips? Different type of panel?

Nothing, I love it! (I should have done this year's ago.)

Any problems? Disappointments? Surprises? Disatisfaction? Issues? Weaknesses of gear or system?

None.

How has adding the solar affected your sailing or cruising?

Peaceful bliss. With my excess power, I'm going to get an ice maker. Drinks all round.

A big thank you to my mate, Dave Boyle from Solar South in Adelaide, who flew up to Airlie beach to help us out.

I'd also like to thank Paul Rogers from Moor R & R who kindly provided a schematic of his system, for which I based ours. (The diagram was so professional I suspect Kathy Roper's graphic design skills may have been used? If not, bloody good effort Paul).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	140829  
Lukim Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:04   #29

Boat: Lagoon 380

More photos
Attached Thumbnails