Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 15:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau 423
Ideas on Balmar internal regulator problem

I have a four month old Balmar alternator that has a built in regulator backup. My external regulator is a Balmar ARS-5. Two days ago I started getting high voltage warnings. Sure enough when running above idle, voltage will climb to 15.6V or so. This morning I checked on the alternator and it was hot. It was also pulling 3-4A. The spindle was also magnetized. I disconnected the external regulator and still hot, drawing current, and magnetic.

Working with Balmar it looks like the internal regulator has failed ON. I am being shipped a replacement alternator but am in the Bahamas so actual arrival is uncertain. Fortunately we have a reasonable amount of solar and I can chose to use the Balmar by connecting to disconnecting the negative or positive leads.

In the meantime I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your solution was. Or, if anyone has suggestions of what else to test / try.

Thanks
Harry
s/v Juno
Https://juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, regulator