Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 15:46   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Ideal Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Ok but that's 12.000 dollars genset on a 30-40-50.000 dollars worth boat...
I mean for myself, not you! Your solution is -- well, --- your solution!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 15:48   #62

LOL

Yes i've been to japan twice, just the most perfectionist country in the world.

Yanmar for sure respect the tradition...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 15:48   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I mean for myself, not you! Your solution is -- well, --- your solution!

Lol

get it
Old 09-01-2016, 16:04   #64

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Actually Steph, yep the Japanese are fantastic....but having been a Mercedes Benz service manager.....
I reckon the Germans leave EVERYONE for dead. And commercial history is bearing that out.
Not quite!! German, but how about...
SULZER, two stroke diesel, with miniscule cylinder wear rate and less fuel than a four stroke diesel.
And there's more to life fwiw than Yanmar...try NANNI, Italian.
Most container ships built in the world these days are running SULZERS.
Google Sulzer videos. Seriously interesting.
Steph' previously on other threads with you, I've espoused good quality gen set and call Skip Novak a call, in Ushuaia or there abouts, Reckon he'll suggest Propane.
And Skip does a n t a r c t i c a !!!
Clever and tough boy that one!
Dock'. 5% sorry about drift.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 16:48   #65

Boat: Oyster 66

How about setting up the genset to be an aux power unit also. It could drive a motor directly coupled to the drive shaft. It wouldn't be a large or very heavy motor and could be a simple, inexpensive installation. No gear box and possibly no pulley or complicated supports if you went for a hollow shaft motor. That could be your emergency auxiliary power. It may only give 10 hp or so, but it would get you home if becalmed and with a failed main engine. With a generator head on the engine as well you have redundancy in engine power and in electric power with the two.

I don't know why it isn't widely done. Just a thought.

I don't think it matters too much DC or AC. Both are usually AC anyway to start with and both convert to DC to charge batteries.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 17:15   #66

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Stephano. Skip Novak has two boats. A little 16.8m and a 23m.
The little boat carries about 45KG of propane for cooking/hot water, TTBOMK.
Your boat could carry at least 2 or 3 x 9kg bottles , saves lot of machinery cost and maintenance.
And would last for months.
Old 09-01-2016, 17:42   #67

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Dockhead, it seems that you have a great idea for the genset...I wonder about the extra weight of a large 3 phase AC system. My minds eye see's a mass of heavy cables like the innards of a rhino.
Should you end up with a load of water in the boat, most of what you would need to restore to operation after the emergency would need DC power. Much easier to patch and jury rig than an AC system.

What about the Gin tank? What about the davits? Your gonna have to work alot more to support this monster....you will need that solar on the pontoon to power things when your gone so much.
I just have to ask though, can I have the Moody when your done with her?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 18:14   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Dockhead, it seems that you have a great idea for the genset...I wonder about the extra weight of a large 3 phase AC system. My minds eye see's a mass of heavy cables like the innards of a rhino.
Should you end up with a load of water in the boat, most of what you would need to restore to operation after the emergency would need DC power. Much easier to patch and jury rig than an AC system.

What about the Gin tank? What about the davits? Your gonna have to work alot more to support this monster....you will need that solar on the pontoon to power things when your gone so much.
I just have to ask though, can I have the Moody when your done with her?
No davits on the next boat! Davits are the work of the devil.

The dingy will be pulled up into a large lazarette a la Halberg Rassey 64.

I have, by they way, done a davitectomy on my present boat, and bought a folding Avon RIB. The old electric davits are gone, replaced by smaller hand-cranked ones. The new RIB is presently living in its own bag, on the foredeck, where it will stay for longer passages. Oh, joy!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:00   #69

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
What about the Gin tank?
This Dockhead. The rest of your concerns re the new boat are incidental. This is crucial.

Gin tankage really is underrated as being essential - how do others survive????

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:05   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Actually Steph, yep the Japanese are fantastic....but having been a Mercedes Benz service manager.....
I reckon the Germans leave EVERYONE for dead. And commercial history is bearing that out.
Not quite!! German, but how about...
SULZER, two stroke diesel, with miniscule cylinder wear rate and less fuel than a four stroke diesel.
And there's more to life fwiw than Yanmar...try NANNI, Italian.
Most container ships built in the world these days are running SULZERS.
Google Sulzer videos. Seriously interesting.
Steph' previously on other threads with you, I've espoused good quality gen set and call Skip Novak a call, in Ushuaia or there abouts, Reckon he'll suggest Propane.
And Skip does a n t a r c t i c a !!!
Clever and tough boy that one!
Dock'. 5% sorry about drift.
Lol i worked too for 6 months in a official MB car dealer as PR...nice car, including the airmatic equipped one's and the 63 amg consuming more water and oil than gas lol

Sulzer, very nyce, i like big engine (if it would be for me i would get a gardner in my next-future boat, it has fashon and the reliability, the long lasting that no engine has right now, i saw even emma maerks get a sulzer engine

sure, everybody talk well about nanni, diesel, i saw 25 years old nanni diesel, with i don't know how many thousands hours on it still working very well...(i don't remember if kubota based for that times or not)

Yeah i saw all th site about it, especially building photos, very nice boat (meanings my dreams boat)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:09   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
How about setting up the genset to be an aux power unit also. It could drive a motor directly coupled to the drive shaft. It wouldn't be a large or very heavy motor and could be a simple, inexpensive installation. No gear box and possibly no pulley or complicated supports if you went for a hollow shaft motor. That could be your emergency auxiliary power. It may only give 10 hp or so, but it would get you home if becalmed and with a failed main engine. With a generator head on the engine as well you have redundancy in engine power and in electric power with the two.

I don't know why it isn't widely done. Just a thought.

I don't think it matters too much DC or AC. Both are usually AC anyway to start with and both convert to DC to charge batteries.

That's really clever, i thought about it and still thinking

If it's not widely used is more attractive to me because it means someone has thought out of the mass to get it

Yes thats kind of true, because if a need 1500 watt for 2 minutes (coffe maker, i will never turn on and off a 230 v ac genset for 2 minutes...too much wear, cold working, ecc) and especially with quite big battery bank, solar and wind power, you can keep using the engine just sometimes in cloudy non windy day...all the rest of the years you'are ok
Old 10-01-2016, 04:12   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Stephano. Skip Novak has two boats. A little 16.8m and a 23m.
The little boat carries about 45KG of propane for cooking/hot water, TTBOMK.
Your boat could carry at least 2 or 3 x 9kg bottles , saves lot of machinery cost and maintenance.
And would last for months.
Thanks,

Just to know, owning and keep our own gas bottle, is it quite easy all around to world to get it filled? or some dealers want to make exhange bottle? (give me the empty one, i will give a full ones + 20-50euro for exchange, when you give me back my bottle i give back to you your money as insourance)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:23   #73

Steph, Novaks smaller boat of the two is 17 metres....carries 45kg propane.
Steph, when i was with MB, in those days, it was so long ago, the wheels on a car were square and the hottest thing on the road was the FIAT Millicinqecento...500cc worlds fastest car thats how long ago I was an MB service manager in Sydney OZ. Justa arfa Capitano Cooka.
Steph' you were an MB PR Mgr......talka lika Valentino Rossi. Can hear you now Steph.
Arriverdierci. Bruno
PS..2 Stroke diesel 3 foota pista.....2.5 metre stroka. MamaMia
Old 10-01-2016, 04:29   #74

International bottles all are POL fitting.....p r o b a b l y ???........exchange internationally? Doubt it.
Many people have fibreglass, some alloy others have s/steel.
Asking wrong person Steph.
With ******** I'm your man but pretty dumb otherwise.
Caio.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:35   #75

Remembered...maybe best way, have your own good bottles...galvanised or glass or ss or alloy...and a set of international adaptors...think.

Tags
generator