Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 07:43   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
I want more solar - where do I put it?

I bought my boat with 4x 18v 100w rigid solar panels. These feed into a MorningStar ProStar 30 PWM controller.

On a sunny day in the Med I see somewhere between 80-100 amps per day. This is ok, but would like more especially for shoulder months, and partially cloudy days.

Not sure the gains from switching to multiple MPPT controllers would be worth it given the low voltage per panel.

Been tempted by the LG 365w panels (21.1% efficiency), plus an MPPT controller, but at 36kg for two, it's a lot of weight, and I'm loathe to get rid of decent fully working panels.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:43   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: I want more solar - where do I put it?

You picture shows part of your problem--the shadows from your sails and masts.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If the panels moved backwards a bit you could probably fit another pair of 100w panels across ways

How about using some of the smaller MPPTs paired up with panels some panels in series to generate a higher voltage and enable the MPPTs to choose the best charging option.

Just about to buy another one of these to do just that and retire my second PWM regulator now the price of MPPTs has come down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-E...EcwbeIKjcCPq3Q
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You picture shows part of your problem--the shadows from your sails and masts.
There's no problem so to speak, you're never going to eliminate all shadows at all points of sun. I think with the angle the panels are at, they do very well. I get about 13a/h on average with 16a/h being the max I've seen.

Obviously in my photo I'm up the mast and the line I'm climbing is on one of the panels, but otherwise the soft shadows from the lines on the stay sail have little to no noticeable effect. Perhaps that says more about the PWM wasting power than it does anything else.

The panels must be 4 years old, probably Chinese (at a guess), but I've been happy with them.

I don't have davits, nor an arch so placement is limited. I don't even have long enough rails to mount panels there (not that's want to due to windage).

I do have a cockpit tent that is permanently erected, but when at anchor I almost always put a shade over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If the panels moved backwards a bit you could probably fit another pair of 100w panels across ways

How about using some of the smaller MPPTs paired up with panels some panels in series to generate a higher voltage and enable the MPPTs to choose the best charging option.

Just about to buy another one of these to do just that and retire my second PWM regulator now the price of MPPTs has come down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-E...EcwbeIKjcCPq3Q
Been looking at 100w flexible panels, but they tend to come in at around 120cm long which is too long to clear the raised centre of the coach roof. I'd need something more in the 96cm range.

I could try running alternating panels in series to two MPPT controllers. That's about, not sure if there will be much gain though.
Old 04-02-2018, 16:34   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450
I want more solar - where do I put it?

I cant see the aft end of your cat but an ideal location is having them extend outward from your aft cockpit. [ATTACH]163475]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	163475  
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 00:11   #6

I'm painting myself into a corner by going for mass centralisation. Hence no davits or arches. An extra 60kg on the stern wouldn't do me any good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02598.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	163480  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Been looking at 100w flexible panels, but they tend to come in at around 120cm long which is too long to clear the raised centre of the coach roof. I'd need something more in the 96cm range.

I could try running alternating panels in series to two MPPT controllers. That's about, not sure if there will be much gain though.
These are a little more square in shape:

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/...lar-cells.html

The alternative as you say is to sell of the existing system and start again. If you are planning keeping the boat for some time there may be some merit in doing this and getting 10+ years worth of benefit from new panels and new MPPTs.

Certainly in the UK there is a very active second hand market for panels as I found out during the summer when I sold an old 80w panel for nearly the new price.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar