Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 12:07   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Hyundai 1kVA Suitcase Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ye Gods, we recently managed to use an extravagant 60 AH and that was with the laptop, fridge and airtop heating all running.

Still, starting the little Honda in the early evening and leaving it to run out of fuel about midnight should solve the problem.

Pete
60 AH at 12, or 24? I am using roughly 100 AH at 24, but that's with separate fridge and freezer (the freezer is the biggest power hog, but got to have ice for the drinks - according to my father, "out of ice" is a mayday situation ) plus extensive AC power use.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 12:15   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

My last boat was 24v, dealers seemed to think they could charge double the price, so this one is definitely a very simple 12v system.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 16:10   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dockhead, I don't know if you can pull a clickable URL out of this but I coldn't GET a simple URL to copy:

[PDF]

ROLLS BATTERY ENGINEERING

https://www.altestore.com/.../Charging_and_Discharging_BU-RS-614...
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
disadvantage of this design is marginally lower charge acceptance. This bulletin ... Bulk/ absorption set points have been derived from the automotive industry and are for two ... generator further reduction in the battery's state of charge (SOC).

Rolls, who may be experts, suggest charing at higher voltages when you don't have time to daddle about in the acceptance phase. And apparently Statpower (since defunct and bought out by xantrex) also made chargers that were "constant amperage" chargers, designed to raise the voltage during the acceptance phase, in order to keep pumping amps into batteries.

I mention this confirming my vague memory, that when acceptance charging takes too long, you may want to look into raising the voltage so as to force a higher charging rate, and get that last 20% stuffed into the battery without needing to run a genset for five hours to do it. Which might make the Kohler all you need, if you cna find a balance between stuffing amps, and battery temperature. At any rate, something to look into, it wasn't all in my imagination.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator