Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 19:48   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
How to wire to this busbar?

The negs that go into the blue part on the top. The left side is completely full. So I want to add to the right side. If you blow up the picture a bit, it says open on the front, but doesn't take any screwdriver I can figure out...

I am assuming this is a insert in the side and it should get locked down with either a spring clamp or screw, but I don't know what brand this is, can't look it up, and don't want to put a wire in that I can't get out.

If someone is familiar with this brand, and can tell me how it works, most appreciative.

PS, I can't believe I can't figure out how to work this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bussbar.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	123498  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 20:05   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: How to wire to this busbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
The negs that go into the blue part on the top. The left side is completely full. So I want to add to the right side. If you blow up the picture a bit, it says open on the front, but doesn't take any screwdriver I can figure out...

I am assuming this is a insert in the side and it should get locked down with either a spring clamp or screw, but I don't know what brand this is, can't look it up, and don't want to put a wire in that I can't get out.

If someone is familiar with this brand, and can tell me how it works, most appreciative.

I would start by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into the opening of one of the left-side terminals, rotating the screwdriver as shown, and gently pulling out one of the currently installed wires.

I expect that you will find a proprietary terminal on the end of the wire.

My best guess
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 20:22   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Those look like Wago Power Cage Clamp 285 Series High-Current terminal blocks.

https://eshop.wago.com/JPBC/0_5Start...7486E5A?zone=6

They take a hex/allen wrench (metric IIRC) and a quarter turn to open. The one I am familiar with there should be a button on the side (orange?) that holds the spring open. But since yours have an "unlock" on the top they may just take a bit more of a turn to hold them open, then turn back to close.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 20:51   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Yep. What he said.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 21:28   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Yep. What he said.
I'm not quite as convinced it's exactly right. In Wago the smaller versions use a 5.5mm straight-blade screwdriver. The larger ones use a hex key. Zooming on the OP's photo, looks like these take a special two-lobe tool. And have an unlock latch as part of the twist on top.

So, I'm guessing somebody else's version of the same thing. Either way, it looks like an IEC-style spring clamp block. It only takes a quarter-turn, but in that size the spring has to be quite strong to develop enough pressure for the contact. Hence the use of special tools, hex keys, etc. You can try a screwdriver that fits, it only takes a quarter-turn, but is will take a lot of force to raise the spring.

[Edit] here's a cross-section of the Wago:

[/Edit]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 23:05   #6

So get a bright light and maybe even a magnifying glass and take a look at the hole on the top. Look for a slot or Allen key shape inside.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40   #7

Boat: Hanse 348

Mine do have an orange button on the side. It does not push in very far though. So do you think I need to turn to insert, or push button to insert, and does one just put stranded wire in there, I have always used solid wire with spring loaded terminals.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:25   #8

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

If in fact it is a Wago 285 series rail terminal, then you can find the specifications here: https://eshop.wago.com/JPBC/0_5StartPage.jsp?zone=6

According to the description the orange button is used to hold the clamp open after you have turned the top receptacle to retract the spring.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55   #9

This type of busbar is designed for use with solid copper (household type, e.g. Rome) which is not to marine standards. All wire on about, wether AC or DC should be stranded copper, preferably tinned and all terminals should be crimped connectors, like the ones used for the positive side which are ring terminals.
For the whole scoop, check ABYC E-11 which spells this out
If it were my boat, I would replace the negative bus bar with a conventional Blue Sea busbar
Framboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:54   #10

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framboise View Post
This type of busbar is designed for use with solid copper (household type, e.g. Rome)
More likely this type of WAGO connector require usage of ferrules with stranded wire - single or multiple. Photo shows multiple wires with heat shrink - are they crimped together or soldered?

In general, if this are spring loaded connectors then it is not good application for marine or any harsh environment - eventually any spring becomes weaker though WAGO uses good quality materials and I did not have any problem with them so far.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:02   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

I'm guessing you have a French boat? The correct tool may be a bit of a chase (but thanks for the reminder - I will try to get one now from our local electrical trade supply outlet). I have opened these with a small screw driver. You need to ensure it is small enough for most of the tip to go into the plastic head of the connector. Also you need to push firmly as you rotate to ensure the screwdriver head does not slip and bur the plastic.
Sounds a bit rough, but it does work fine.
Having said that - the proper tool is the way to go as it fits down inside the length of the plastic socket.
If you find you don't have room for your extra wire(s), then the next step is of course to go for another terminal block if you can make room by sliding the others along the DIN rail. Otherwise, branch to a separate distribution block.

Hope that helps,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote