Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55   #106

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: How to Make a Suitcase Generator Safe for Storage Below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
DH,

If I were in your shoes, (I am a DC power geek and an employee of an alternator manufacturer)

1. Spare alternator. If only that you may need one in place to run your engine. Having replaced an alternator (saltwater leak sprayed on back of it) while anchored of an uninhabited island, I would not think of going without a spare. Include a spare, pre-programmed regulator with it's own harness.
2. Solar. I know, windage. For the price of a portable genset, you can buy one or two semi-flexible panels. Nothing beats power generation without fuel. Think Zombie Apocalypse , or major system failure transiting oceans. When you need to power your radio, batteries are dead, and .....

Chris
3. Lithium power pack. Inexpensive & compact w/usb plugs to power devices for navigation, etc., and a booster function that can start a diesel engine or genset. Just have to remember to plug it in once in awhile to keep it topped off.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:13   #107

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Concerning solar -- yeah, had it on the last boat, love it, but no place for it. If there were some roll-up panels which would produce a useful amount of power ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE, then that could be interesting. Otherwise, this is not a variant which will work for me.
Sounds like a backup suitcase generator is a better option than solar for your Greenland trip for obvious reasons, but there always seems to be some educational value from your 'overkill/paranoia' threads.

For general purposes, I have some of the same qualms about investing in solar as you, but have been looking at 'fold-up' panels that I could store below and drape over the boom at anchor or while docked. Not sure if they suffer from similar deterioration as 'flexible' panels when installed on canvas or otherwise not rigidly affixed. And as seems to be the case with other types of panels, there are the expensive, milspec variants and the Chinese mfg. cheapos, with not much if anything in between to choose from.

Better ways to spend your money for your upcoming trip I'm sure, but maybe a viable option for getting some solar onboard after you return.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Just a thought but if it's going to be a brand new Honda why not leave it in the original package and put it on a spare berth or anywhere. No need to start it and spill gasoline before it's needed, except for the piece of mind but that doesn't make it anymore certain it will start the next time...

Teddy
Yes, I thought of this. It's a good idea. Also will make it easy to sell afterwards -- after hopefully never having been used.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 14:27   #109

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Anyone try the Yamaha EF1000is? Weighs just 27 lbs. easy to stow and sips fuel. Should run my onboard charger at around 50 max amps into the bank when solar isn’t enough.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 14:47   #110

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
Anyone try the Yamaha EF1000is? Weighs just 27 lbs. easy to stow and sips fuel. Should run my onboard charger at around 50 max amps into the bank when solar isn’t enough.
It will be real close if it runs a 50 A charger. Try it first. What's the continuous rating of the generator?
14.6V X 50A = 730W. Add for the charger fan and inefficiency and you get close to maxing out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage