Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 14:09   #1

Boat: J/37
How to Choose a Charge Controller ?

I will be using to 85 Watt kyocera panels wired in parallel to charge my battery bank made up of 4 AGM group 31 110 AH house batteries and a AGM starting battery.

I have a cruising equipment battery monitor that displays Amps and Voltage of both banks so i dont think i need one that displays current charging, but perhaps someone here will enlighten me otherwise.

Question is stated in the title, how do i pick a charge controller? Why one versus another, ect.

Thanks for the help.
Thank you dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:10   #2

Boat: Allures 44
Re: How to choose a charge controller??

If you search the threads you'll find some good information. Your 170W solar array is probably just big enough where an MMPT controller is worth the money... but it depends on ambient temperatures... and opinions vary about the efficacy of MMPT controllers. I have the same battery setup as you, with 216W of solar panels, and I use the Blue Sky 2512ix (MMPT). I monitor charging with my existing battery monitor. It shows the solar panels' full rated output going into the batteries with any kind of sunlight... can't ask for more than that.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote