Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 07:40   #181
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: How do you crimp #8 AWG terminals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Retraint, without felxure is what causes the problem
What a horrible situation, having retraint without felxure. Please, tell us more so we can all go out and purchase $3,000 crimpers.
Old 13-05-2013, 08:00   #182

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: How do you Crimp #8 AWG Terminals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm a little curious as to where you see yourself in this continuum? .............
I am retired from the electrical/electronics field. I have considerable education and experience in these areas. I continue to educate myself in many fields.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:27   #183
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

With disrespect towards none, the argument of professional or expert competence, knowledge, and experience reminds me very much of doctors.

For many years they all KNEW that ulcers were caused by stomache acid. Until some Ozzie had a radical idea that it might be bacteria. For many years all the experts knew meat had fats that caused cholesterol problems. Except last month they announced that's probably caused by toxins from bacteria that love to eat red meat in the gut. And then 20? years ago someone figured out that transfats were worse than diary, so maybe margarine was really worse than butter for your cholesterol after all.

Experts, even an entire industry, can be mistaken.

Just saying.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:44   #184
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Experts, even an entire industry, can be mistaken.
This is something I discovered years ago when I bought my ratcheting crimper. I'd been using the inexpensive plier-type crimpers, but all the experts were saying that they wouldn't do the job properly, so I went out and plopped down $60 for a ratcheting tool, back in the days when $60 was a lot of money. It guaranteed a proper crimp because it wouldn't let go of the butt connector until it had been crimped all the way down.

I wanted to test this perfect connection, so I got some 14 AWG wire and the proper butt connector MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY THAT MADE MY CRIMPER, and crimped the wire into a loop. And when I gave it the pull test, it came apart more easily than the crimps I'd been making with the plier-type crimper.

Shocking.
Old 13-05-2013, 09:33   #185
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

That'll teach you to buy wire that wasn't made by your crimper company, huh? <G>
Old 13-05-2013, 10:11   #186
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I've been fighting posting how I crimped the #8 cables I used for my solar install last month because everyone knows I ain't no expert. But this this has gone on so long now I may as well join (this way anyone who did it my way knows they are wrong):

I just used the same racketing crimper I always use. It didn't have a die for the #8 but it had one that for something else that seemed the right size. So I used that and squeezed the crap out of it and couldn't pull it apart afterward. But now after reading this I'm surprised my boat hasn't caught on fire from it yet
Old 13-05-2013, 13:56   #187

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
This whole crimping thing reminds me of the argument of welding vs riveting. Everybody knows that welding is superior to riveting in just about every way. Yet it is incorrect to say that because welding is better, by implication this means riveting is unsatisfactory, even dangerous. There are numerous structures around world that function quite well with riveted construction.and in many cases have done so for well over 100 years. There are even applications where there is still no viable alternative to riveting e.g. aircraft structures. The point is that to declare one method is "the best" and all others somehow unfit for service is somewhat closed minded imo. Yes, one method may be preferred over another, but other methods can still be viable alternatives in situations where the preferred method cannot readily be implemented.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 14:01   #188
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Aircraft riveting...reminds me of a B17, still certified and flying, that I made the mistake of looking at too closely. Whole batch of rivets popped and were missing from the tail, but she fly very nicely without them.
Old 13-05-2013, 17:00   #189

Boat: Camano Troll

Manual Mechanical Rotating Wire Terminal Cable Lug Crimper - Amazon.com

$89.95
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 19:43   #190
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, something like the 16mm2 die they show, would convert to what? 6AWG plus a lug around it? Or do they make one in AWG wire sizes as well?
Old 14-05-2013, 19:29   #191
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
My point is not that there are 8 gauge terminals, but that the die sizes are different for lugs and terminals. Despite the fact that the Ancor tool is called a "heavy duty lug crimper", it is also marked for use on terminals. Each die on the tool is marked differently for use with lugs and terminals (look on both sides of the top bar). A die marked for #4 lug is the correct size for a #6 terminal. A die marked for #6 lug would be the correct size for a #8 terminal (even though I don't know that a #8 terminal actually exists.) Ancor does not claim that the tool crimps #8 lugs because it doesn't.
Well, I have been holding my speak until I could have a chance to finally confirm my statement.

Today I stopped by my boat, and dug out my 1998 Ancor hammer/vise crimmper. And just as I remembered, it does in fact crimp #8 thru 4-0 Lugs. It's clearly marked Lugs 8,6,4,2,1-0,00,000, and 0000 on the side marked stamped lugs.

Then on the other side stamped terminals, starting opposite of 0000 lug side it is marked 000, 00,0,1,2,4,6

So I believe this is a marketing error in their print.

I also stopped by Fisheries Supply today to check on they're shelf stock, and all 4 on the shelf are marked exact same as mine. Also a memeber of the local ABYC was in store, a person whom teach the classes for certification. He also confirmed that the tool in question make a great #8 lug crimp. As a matter of fact he uses lugs that have been dissected at the crimp, that are polished. He stated that the hammer/vise crimper actually performed better in the #8, & #6 lug crimping then the larger Ancor compound tool that crimps #8 to 4-0.

So I still stand behind my recommendation that this is a good tool to have aboard. It would be a little tedious to attempt a day in day out use of the tool, but for a few here and there..YEP.....and it makes a UL approved crimp, if performed properly.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:55   #192
Eternal Member

Looks to me like a Chinese(?) knockoff of the very excellent German-made GREENLEE K05-1GL which sells for about $229. I have this Greenlee as well as the larger model which will do crimps up to 4/0. The smaller one fits nicely into the bottom of my plastic toolbox.

Hey.....let's keep it going. Nearly 200 posts on how to crimp AWG8 lugs :-)

Jeez...

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 20:30   #193

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Today I stopped by my boat, and dug out my 1998 Ancor hammer/vise crimmper. And just as I remembered, it does in fact crimp #8 thru 4-0 Lugs. It's clearly marked Lugs 8,6,4,2,1-0,00,000, and 0000 on the side marked stamped lugs.

Then on the other side stamped terminals, starting opposite of 0000 lug side it is marked 000, 00,0,1,2,4,6
Just to keep this thread going (thank you Bill for your encouragement):
Lloyd--maybe your crimper is marked as you say it is. But at least on the East Coast, battery terminals have thicker walls than flared lugs, so a die for a #4 lug (larger diameter cable) is about the size for a #6 terminal (smaller diameter cable). A die for a #6 lug would be sized a #8 terminal (if there is such a thing.) Etc. And that is the way my Ancor hammer/vise crimper is marked.
Old 14-05-2013, 20:48   #194

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
OK since this thread has run it's course I have a related question:

What is the "right" way, and if any different, what is the usual way of connecting a 6 ga wire to a 10 ga wire. I haven't found butt connectors that do this. Do they exist?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
For wire up to 10 ga, the absolute bet crimping tool I have ever used is

PWC30, Pliers, Terminal Crimping, 10 1/4"

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 22:27   #195
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Just to keep this thread going (thank you Bill for your encouragement):
Lloyd--maybe your crimper is marked as you say it is. But at least on the East Coast, battery terminals have thicker walls than flared lugs, so a die for a #4 lug (larger diameter cable) is about the size for a #6 terminal (smaller diameter cable). A die for a #6 lug would be sized a #8 terminal (if there is such a thing.) Etc. And that is the way my Ancor hammer/vise crimper is marked.
Ziggy,

I hope you like CROW, because you're about to eat it.

The size refers to AWG wire size. Which is the circular Mil. size of the wire.

So respective, a lug which is an annealed copper tube copper forged into a lug, is going to be smaller OD, then a cast terminal OD. But both will be sized to accept an UL listed # 6 AWG wire size, or a #4, or a#2, or a #1, all the way to a 4-0

In the end a lug will be smaller in OD, then a terminal.

This is born out by the fact the tool listed can crimp an 3-0 terminal, using the same die that can crimp a 4-0 lug. This follows all the way down, until you get to #8 AWG Lug, because that would equate to a #10 terminal.

While I have my doubts about any manufacture of an #8 terminal, I will bet my life that there has never been a # 10 terminal manufactured.... At least in a UL listing.

Hope ya like feathers and all.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote