Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 04:48   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Boat: Boatless
Posts: 1,078
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
The 11k is for a non inductive load. Power motors with it and you need to derate it by your power factor. Most gensets are specified this way. Maybe yours has a bit of headroom or maybe you weren't all on motors, say using a good charger - you will have a decent power factor then.
This reply is a bit out of date now that you can use the "power assist" feature of a good inverter (say Victron Multiplus) to "shave" peaks such as starting current anf feed that peak from the batteries. That means you can now use a smaller genset that will be happier because it will not suffer from underloading.

Go for a smaller genset and a bigger charger.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:52   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Caribbean/UK
Boat: Oyster 66
Posts: 820
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
This reply is a bit out of date now that you can use the "power assist" feature of a good inverter (say Victron Multiplus) to "shave" peaks such as starting current anf feed that peak from the batteries. That means you can now use a smaller genset that will be happier because it will not suffer from underloading.

Go for a smaller genset and a bigger charger.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sure, those combi inverters are great for peak shaving and can help in getting a smaller genset, but they don't help you one little bit if your average load doesn't match the genset 's output, or ideally a little below it. That calculation comes first and that was my focus.

Once sized correctly you can deal with the peaks in many ways, with combis, with VSD powered motors, with soft starters, with DC motors, with a direct inverter feed for peak power items or a mix of the options.
__________________

__________________
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:40   #33
Diver and Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Virginia
Boat: Voyage 500
Posts: 16
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Sorry for the delay in responding, been away on biz for a few days. Many thanks for the thoughts and questions.

Looking at an FP44 Cat. Yes, I plan to put a compressor onboard in the future, water maker, full AC, washer/dryer, a pair of tv's, underwater lights, stereo, full compliment of electronics at helm and Nav station and enough outlets for common charging, appliances, WiFi, etc. Looking at the overall load of all equipment the dealer is suggesting the NL. Several people have commented that the NL is certainly sturdy, but at a significant price point.

Primary sailing is planned for Caribbean and Bahamas. Planning on being in charter and personal use.
__________________
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:51   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 2,857
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Kerching . . . . kerching !
__________________
savoir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:53   #35
Diver and Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Virginia
Boat: Voyage 500
Posts: 16
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Looking at outfitting boat with LP steel tanks, most likely will dive and teach Sidemount onboard. Periodically fill LP80 cu/ft Aluminum tanks as well.
__________________
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 22:00   #36
Registered User
 
J Clark H356's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rivers, KY
Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Posts: 409
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

If you are going to charter, I would not get anything but the Northern Lights. It is tough and although initially the cost is higher, you actual cost is first cost plus maintenance. A cheaper, less durable generator will create more maintenance cost, so,it won't take long to catch up to the Northern Lights and probably surpass it. A charter boat will be treated very differently than will an Owner used boat. What would work ok for an Owner boat could be quickly trashed by a charter group.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 22:01   #37
Diver and Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Virginia
Boat: Voyage 500
Posts: 16
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Still here guys and gals, was out of pocket all weekend. NOOB on the forum but appreciate all of the comments and advice. Looking at all that will be on board from AC to freezers, refrigerators and other electronics, this will be a critical decision.

Yes, planning on solar panels as well. Dealer has also preliminarily spec'd out 2800 W 120A Magnum inverter.
__________________
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:47   #38
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,960
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedoug68 View Post
Still here guys and gals, was out of pocket all weekend. NOOB on the forum but appreciate all of the comments and advice. Looking at all that will be on board from AC to freezers, refrigerators and other electronics, this will be a critical decision.

Yes, planning on solar panels as well. Dealer has also preliminarily spec'd out 2800 W 120A Magnum inverter.
If you'll post your equipment list, we can help you think about how to power it all efficiently. Will be interesting for us as well, as your use seems rather different from most of us.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:31   #39
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,427
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

FWIW, I'd lean toward gensets that locate all the service points -- fuel filter, oil filter (and drain), air cleaner, heat exchanger, water pump">raw water pump impeller -- in one easy-to-reach location.


-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:53   #40
Diver and Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Virginia
Boat: Voyage 500
Posts: 16
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you'll post your equipment list, we can help you think about how to power it all efficiently. Will be interesting for us as well, as your use seems rather different from most of us.

Equipment being considered:

Yacht Pro Compressor - opt 1 - 3 phase 208-230v; opt 2 - 1 phase 100-130v
Underwater Lights (LED)
Cockpit Refrigerator
Cockpit Ice Maker
Cockpit courtesy lighting
Full AC
2 TV's
Fusion Stereo System - 6 speakers
90L Freezer
190L Over/Under Refrigerator
Microwave
110v Water Heater
2 Electric winches
Freshwater Pump
Water Maker
Electric Windlass
Interior/Exterior Lights all LED
Electric Heads - 3
Raymarine 400 EVO Autopilot p70 Control Head
Raymarine i70 instruments (2)
Raymarine Quantum Radar (WiFi)
Raymarine ES97 Plotters (2)
Raymarine 650 AIS
Raymarine 60 VHF
Video Server and WiFi System (Apple)
Cabin Fans (8)
__________________
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:22   #41
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,960
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedoug68 View Post
Equipment being considered:

Yacht Pro Compressor - opt 1 - 3 phase 208-230v; opt 2 - 1 phase 100-130v
Underwater Lights (LED)
Cockpit Refrigerator
Cockpit Ice Maker
Cockpit courtesy lighting
Full AC
2 TV's
Fusion Stereo System - 6 speakers
90L Freezer
190L Over/Under Refrigerator
Microwave
110v Water Heater
2 Electric winches
Freshwater Pump
Water Maker
Electric Windlass
Interior/Exterior Lights all LED
Electric Heads - 3
Raymarine 400 EVO Autopilot p70 Control Head
Raymarine i70 instruments (2)
Raymarine Quantum Radar (WiFi)
Raymarine ES97 Plotters (2)
Raymarine 650 AIS
Raymarine 60 VHF
Video Server and WiFi System (Apple)
Cabin Fans (8)
OK, other than the dive compressor, there's nothing here which is unusual for a larger cruising yacht.

The Dive Pro 25 (is that the one?) needs 23 amps @ 115 volts including inrush current. That's no problem for the 5kW Northern Lights generator.

Another question is how you plan to use the air conditioning, and how much power it requires. If you need to be using it under way and/or at anchor, then this might require more generating capacity.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:50   #42
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 12,906
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

I thought it was a 9 KW Northern Lights?
However, he is going to charter the boat? So you have to size the generator so that everything, toaster, water heater, all air conditioners and at least one hair dryer can be on, and hair dryers can pull I think close to 1500 Watts, oh and a Coffee maker and microwave too.
On a boat with all that stuff, I can see how you could work even a 9 KW gen. Now if it was always just him, he maybe could learn not to make toast while the microwave and water heater were on, while the wife dried her hair.
I have to manage power even while plugged in at the dock, I can't run both AC's and the water heater, much less hair driers, microwaves etc.
But like I said earlier, 9000W is 75 amps, better have the boat wired I guess for 100 amp service?


Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:03   #43
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,427
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have to manage power even while plugged in at the dock, I can't run both AC's and the water heater, much less hair driers, microwaves etc.

But like I said earlier, 9000W is 75 amps, better have the boat wired I guess for 100 amp service?

We can run all that stuff with either shorepower or 8 Kw genset. 50-amp/250V shorepower service, i.e., two 115V legs (no 220-240V systems on board).

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:21   #44
Registered User
 
Privilege's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bermuda
Boat: Privilege 435
Posts: 242
Images: 12
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

As has been mentioned previously, weight consideration is a must. I too have a 44' cat and I have a 3.5kw generator which weighs in at 160lb dry. I put it in the end of one engine room and it made a significant difference to the trim of the boat. A 9kw Northern Lights weighs just shy of 600lb. I would be surprised if you could put that in the engine room and keep the sugar scoop dry! Try putting three people on the bottom step and see if it makes a difference on your/prospective boat. My humble advise would be to get a decent solar array which you can reley on to recharge the batteries for all of your DC loads and then rate the genset for the excess a/c loads.
__________________
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:18   #45
Diver and Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Virginia
Boat: Voyage 500
Posts: 16
Re: How do you choose a GENSET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK, other than the dive compressor, there's nothing here which is unusual for a larger cruising yacht.

The Dive Pro 25 (is that the one?) needs 23 amps @ 115 volts including inrush current. That's no problem for the 5kW Northern Lights generator.

Another question is how you plan to use the air conditioning, and how much power it requires. If you need to be using it under way and/or at anchor, then this might require more generating capacity.

AC use would most likely be on days with little wind but hot as Hates! At anchor for those hot sticky nights. Other than that, while at the dock connected to shore power.

The compressor is a Browning YP45. It will draw 25 amps on 1 phase or 12.5 on 3 Phase.
__________________

__________________
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did the Sailors Life Choose You, or You it ? masajista Liveaboard's Forum 45 21-01-2015 11:09
If you could pick anything, what would you choose? schoonerdog Multihull Sailboats 276 22-02-2013 17:53
Which One Would You Choose ? Bill_R Monohull Sailboats 15 07-04-2010 08:24
What Would You Choose? porttack Monohull Sailboats 26 27-01-2009 15:46
Blisters or Flooding? Which would you choose?? ssullivan General Sailing Forum 30 22-06-2005 02:36


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.