Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 16:37   #31

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Re: House bank not charging

Problem now solved.Traced wire back from alternator to fuse near air cleaner because that tested okay I thought the alt was buggered.Swapped alas and found it was still working.Then traced wire back to switchboard relay and noticed a corroded tiny little mark ,removed relay and could see a tiny little corroded pin.Replaced both -finder type 95.05 holder and finder type 40.61 relay and everything is working .Source parts online from RS Components and were sent freight free .Total $20.00.Didnt know those switches were on the board let alone what they do.Never too old to learn.Ill try and put some pics on post .Cheers Geoff.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	143420
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 16:38   #32

Note size of relay about 1 inch and pin size tiny.
Old 18-03-2017, 18:00   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good result. Always nice when you finally locate the problem and it all works again. Thanks for getting back and letting us know the outcome.

All you have left to do is find out why it was corroded and how to prevent it re-occuring!

Presumably the culprit was seawater!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 23:39   #34

Hi Geoff, good to see you've got it sorted. By the way, what is the function of the relay? Those ones are usually a interface relay (10A Max). Was it to control the regulator on the Alt?
Cheers
Ding Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 06:10   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding Duck View Post
Hi Geoff, good to see you've got it sorted. By the way, what is the function of the relay? Those ones are usually a interface relay (10A Max). Was it to control the regulator on the Alt?
Cheers

I was wondering that too, it sounds as though it was, I thought most common was simply to switch power at the ignition switch and wondered why a relay?
Then I thought perhaps to operate other things as well like maybe a blower, but then thought that's an awful small relay
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:50   #36

Don't know yet ,perhaps our Forum members know.
Relay is -finder type 40.61 16amp 250 volt .Not connected to a blower or anything else. In my switchboard I have an Ample Power next step regulator which is linked to relays,perhaps the heavy duty alts are externally regulated.Click image for larger version

Views:	85
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	143514
Old 19-03-2017, 14:52   #37

RelayClick image for larger version

Views:	93
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	143515
Old 19-03-2017, 15:35   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That Next Step reg by the writing on it sure does look like an alternator regulator to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:06   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Problem now solved.Traced wire back from alternator to fuse near air cleaner because that tested okay I thought the alt was buggered.Swapped alas and found it was still working.Then traced wire back to switchboard relay and noticed a corroded tiny little mark ,removed relay and could see a tiny little corroded pin.Replaced both -finder type 95.05 holder and finder type 40.61 relay and everything is working .Source parts online from RS Components and were sent freight free .Total $20.00.Didnt know those switches were on the board let alone what they do.Never too old to learn.Ill try and put some pics on post .Cheers Geoff.Attachment 143420
Hoorah!

I have a similar set up and keep a batch of these relays in spares. Sometimes they can just get loose/lightly corroded and need a little cleaning and reseating. Easy to swap out if bad.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That Next Step reg by the writing on it sure does look like an alternator regulator to me.
Yes, it is, but its an older NS.
Old 19-03-2017, 18:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding Duck View Post
Cheers
Depends on the installation. Ive seen them in several. These relays are not specified in the original NS wiring specs.

Unless its a very strange installation, they do not control the internal regulator...that is by passed and the NS regulates the alternator directly.

Only way to know is to diagram your specific installation.

Usually what Ive seen is that one +V lead, like power from ignition switch, is used to open/close other leads to NS. Its never been clear to me why some installers choose to do this (mine was installed by original builder this way), esp since NS does not specify it.

Tags
charging