Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 07:11   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Hot plug?

I've been using a Yamaha generator on my stern for the last four years plugging it into my main inlet so it charges our battery banks. Just recently, I've noticed that the plug that we use with the generator is getting hotter than normal as in the first six inches of the cord. One of the prongs looks a bit darker than the other and some of the plastic around the same prong has melted a bit. Is the plug going bad? Still charges just fine but gets a bit hot to the touch.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:52   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Hot plug?

Resistance causes heat. Clean and tighten or replace plugs and or receptacles. Don't pull more amps through the connectors than they're rated for. Take care of this before it becomes a fire.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 15:51   #3

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Re: Hot plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Resistance causes heat. Clean and tighten or replace plugs and or receptacles. Don't pull more amps through the connectors than they're rated for. Take care of this before it becomes a fire.

Took the plug apart and found the black wire has cracked just above where it screws to the plug. Some plastic had melted as well due to the heat. Cut off the old wires, cleaned up the new and put on a new plug and all seems fine. No clue why it did what it did. The cord is always stowed inside as soon as the charging is done. Just age I guess. My body is doing the same thing now as well. These "golden years" are really made of "Fools Gold".
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug