Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-06-2009, 10:45   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Let us know how well this works out for you. I just did the same thing buying two 99 cent hose nozzles after first looking at the $12 one. I know the $12 one will probably outlast 6 of the cheap ones but I'm at the age where I don't buy green bananas...

Old 29-06-2009, 23:06   #17

Boat: 27ft catalina
my brother has the honda eu2000 my cousin has the honeywell. out camping earlier this year the only difference i could see was the honda was quieter. specs on the honda are 59db under load and 69for the honeywell

Old 29-06-2009, 23:33   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
The Honda is $860 at Chain Saws at Alamia: Outdoor Equipment, Husqvarna Chain Saws, Wood Chippers, Chippers
Old 30-06-2009, 04:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
... the only difference i could see was the honda was quieter. specs on the honda are 59db under load and 69for the honeywell
10 decibel (dB) is a significant difference in sound intensity.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 07:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Have not found Honda 2000 for $850.. Anyway Honeywell is an excellent company. The builder of the generator is probably chinese and they are great copy cats.. and cheap. Walmart has them for $549.00. Honda is around $1000 to $1100 with free shipping. As for noise, this unit is backup only and you can bear with a little more noise to have this kind of safety in electrical backup.
We have already given you two sources for $850 or less!
Obviously, you have already decided that the slight cost difference trumps both noise and Honda's proven reliability record. Let the test begin.
Old 06-08-2009, 16:49   #21

Boat: CT54
I am wondering how the Onan Cummins P3200IE compares with the Honda EU3000. The dBA is 58 at load and 7HP as compared to 6.5HP on the Honda.
Anyone with input on these generators?
Generators, Portable Generators, Home, Emergency, & Honda Generators: Cummins Onan 3.2EGMBJ-6294A - P3200i 2800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
Old 06-08-2009, 19:56   #22

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Heard plenty of good reports about the Kipor

Macfarlane Generators
Old 06-08-2009, 20:06   #23

I had kipor 2000 boatingwith my buddies who have hondas. could not tell much difference, except the kipor is yellow
Old 06-08-2009, 20:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I had kipor 2000 boatingwith my buddies who have hondas. could not tell much difference, except the kipor is yellow
And cheaper.
Old 06-08-2009, 20:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Heard plenty of good reports about the Kipor

Macfarlane Generators
Where? All I have read on eham and other review sites is pretty critical of both quality and longevity and the consensus seems to be there is a lack of availability of service. If there are comparable sites at which we can read reviews, it would be telling.
Old 06-08-2009, 21:25   #26

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Honda has a way to parallel and syncronise the frequency of two of the 2kw Hondas to double to 4kw and that is in the 33 amp territory which is a good territory to be in, With marine generators going for $6k or so I see 2 in my future instead of diesel, unless the soon to be purchased boat already has same. On this site there is a plan to use a 6 gallon outboard tank for extended running.
Old 06-08-2009, 21:58   #27

mule something to think about..... I bought a used 8k westerbeake off craigs list for $2000 there are at least 2 small diesel gen sets on ebay right now for less then that.. A better long term solution I believe. I did not like having to carry gasoline
Old 07-08-2009, 00:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Where? All I have read on eham and other review sites is pretty critical of both quality and longevity and the consensus seems to be there is a lack of availability of service. If there are comparable sites at which we can read reviews, it would be telling.
I was reading about them on Australian 4x4 and camping forums and the reviews were pretty good, certainly as good as honda/yamaha.
Mind you that was a couple of years back so my info could well be out of date.

The place I went and looked had the honda and kipor side by side, started them up and I could see no real difference and it was even suggested at the time that they are a direct knockoff of the honda.

The other one that was of interest at the time was the subaru/robin
I have no idea of the pricing compared to the honda or kipor, but it was on the short list for when I go hunting for one
Subaru Robin
Old 28-08-2009, 21:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
my brother has the honda eu2000 my cousin has the honeywell. out camping earlier this year the only difference i could see was the honda was quieter. specs on the honda are 59db under load and 69for the honeywell

I have read that a 6db increase is perceived by humans as double the loudness. So those specs would indicate the Honeywell is more than twice as loud.

The Honda, Yamaha, and Robin Subaru inverter generators all have variable throttle control that automatically adjusts engine speed to meet the load requirement. The Honeywell will slow down without a load but is usually running at full speed if under any load. That would make for a big difference in loudness. The Honeywell at idle is comparable to the others at full load, and they generally won't be running at full load just to run a battery charger.
Old 29-08-2009, 14:59   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Thumbs up I have 2 of the EU2000i Hondas

I have two of the Eu2000 Hondas, ran them around 300 hours last year with the aftereffects of Gustav here in Louisiana. I have the extended run tanks, and you can literally run for days with the 6 gal tank. It depends on the power you require, but at around 1200-1400 watts, they run very quiet, use little gas, and seem to be very reliable. I changed the oil every two days and ran both of them continously for about 2 weeks. Believe me, running some of the other units on a boat would get old as the Db difference is substantial under normal use. If you run the Honda at max output, it does get more noticable, but not as much as any other model I have looked at, and I have looked at a lot of them.

Yamaha does make a nice looking "Honda-like" package, but I have not observed one of them running myself. They seem to get good reviews.

I serviced them before storing, and other than a little wear on the spark plugs, which I replaced, all the clearances and such were fine.

The only thing I would think about with any of the gas generators, other than the obvious CO danger, is they are all splash lubricated, so they are designed to run on a level surface. Probably not much of a problem when anchored, but if you wante to use them while actually cruising, they might need some sort of platform to keep them relatively level.

Tags
generator, honda, honda eu2000

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: