Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2009, 10:27   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The idea that they are inverter units brings a question to mind. What kind of DC power are they generating, and if useful, could the inverter be "Disabled" to allow use of this DC power directly?

Just curious...

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 16:01   #32

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
They do not supply dc power except for battery charging, and its not much. Better to plug in the AC power to your shore power and allow your main charger to do the work.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 16:29   #33
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
This also depends on the AC unit. Some require a lot more start-up current than others.
Last edited by amytom: 15-05-2009 at 05:37..Reason: Spelling, where's Mr. Gates when you need him?

Actually, there's a built-in spell-check function right here. While you're typing your post, should you type anything the spell-check doesn't recognize as "correct" it will underline the suspect word in ..... to bring it to your attention. It doesn't like words like "doesn't" or amytom or TaoJones but those you can just ignore because you know they're right.

It's also good, I've found, to Preview Post before you hit Submit Reply just to have one final look before placing it in front of millions of readers worldwide. It's kind of the internet version of the old builder's adage, "Measure twice, cut once."

TaoJones
Old 18-05-2009, 22:03   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Watch the DVD movie "I Am Legend". Guy uses Honda's in parallel for the whole house ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:01   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
The idea that they are inverter units brings a question to mind. What kind of DC power are they generating, and if useful, could the inverter be "Disabled" to allow use of this DC power directly?
Just curious...
Chris
From post #10:

The Honda "EU" Generator(s) uses an alternator to produce high voltage multi-phase AC power. The AC power is then converted to DC. Finally the DC power is converted back to AC by the inverter. The engine is free to run at any speed, as required by the load demand. Conventional gen sets must run at 3600 RPM to produce 60 Hz output.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 05:25   #36

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
On a side note, been looking at the Yamaha's as well. They look good too.
The 2400 has more watts, for the same price as the honda 2000.
Anyone has experience with this generator ?
I have two of the Honda 2K's and one of the Yamaha 2400's. One of the 2K's will start and run my Ocean Breeze 20K BTU air conditioner; barely. Two Hondas together run it and the charger and microwave no problem. The one Yamaha will run the AC no problem with the charger or the microwave and the charger but struggles with all three.

Gord is right about two 60dB engines add up to 63dB sound but this sound is from two variable engines. They most likely won't be running at the same speed so will produce harmonics and increase the annoyance factor.

I have been looking into rigging the single Yamaha (about 70lbs) semi-permanately into the boat. I have an unused space under the aft cockpit step on my PDQ32. I would have to remove the generator from it's housing and rig ventilation across the two existing engine pods to remove the exhaust and provide ventilation. One thing I noticed when looking into this (and anybody using a sound box may want to consider this as well) the carb aspiration air flow is the same as the ventilation airflow. The generator itself may not be spark arrested (IE "marine use" rated) and if fuel vapors get near the brushes bad things could happen.

As far as just setting the generator on the stern of the boat to prevent exhaust from coming inside; always use a carbon monoxide detector also. Our old boat, a MacGregor 26x, we had the hatch type AC and we were running the generator on the stern near the transom for the night. In the middle of the night the CO detector woke us up. Through my severe headache I realized that the current and wind were contradicting causing the exhaust to flow right by the closed companionway and into the cabin. Be Careful!!
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 15:14   #37

Amytom thanks for that.
I would defiantly install a co2 detector prior to running a gasoline engine aboard. Safety is my main priority.

So between the honda and the yamaha, which do you prefer?
Which one seems better built? How about fuel efficiency?
For price alone, the yamaha seems to edge out the honda when comparing watts to dollars.
Old 20-05-2009, 19:36   #38

Boat: Privilege 37
The Honda's have a DC direct tap. But, if memory serves it is something like 6 amps at 13.2 volts. No where near the rated AC capacity.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 15:44   #39

I have a a Kohler 6.5 kw gas genset that came with the boat when I bought it 12 years ago. It's overkill for my needs, but was great when it was running. For 12 years there's always been something wrong. I've learned how to keep it running, but if it's not one thing, it's another. I finally decided to pull it out, and get a Honda 2000i. I have cold plate refrig, and battery charging to do. If it starts & runs the A/C, that's a plus. The refrig. plates usually require 30 min. to freeze, and last 24+ hours. I won't know until next week if this is going to work like I hope, but if it does, I'll be happier than a pig in sh--t. 12 years of aggravation, gone.

marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 19:45   #40

Marc I am interested in knowing how it went.
If you haven't got the honda yet, take a good look at the yamaha gensets.
Yamaha Generators EF2400iS - Premium Inverter Generators -
or
Yamaha Generators EF3000iSEB - Premium Inverter Generators -
Just as quiet, and efficent. slightly higher power rating. I don't have either as yet but am leaning towards the yamaha.
Old 03-06-2009, 20:23   #41

Boat: working towards a Lightwave 38
If you go with the Honda you wont be disappointed. I've been using them for years and the only problem I have had is the starter rope broke. This was after some 10 years of use. Bit of a pain to fix as you have to pull just about everything apart. Takes about an hour. Other than that the Honda has been trouble free.

There is a great forum website down here that deals with all things camping. Much the same as this site for boating. Search for generators and read the reviews. These people normally give their generators a pretty hard life in the bush so if they give the thumbs up on a unit then that can be taken as a pretty good recommendation. Just about everyone recommends the Honda's.

4WDing, Camping & Caravanning around Australia @ ExplorOz

Yamaha generators don't appear to be a big seller in Oz but if they are anything like their motorcycles they should be fine. i.e. if it's made in Japan you should be alright. If it's made in China watch out. These are infiltrating this country and they are disposable items. You get what you pay for.
1960cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 21:27   #42

Bobfnbw
I did consider the Yamaha 2400, but it's a little bit too big to fit in any of my lockers, and at 70lb. a bit heavy for me to handle alone. Very nice unit though.

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 00:43   #43

Boat: Young Sun 43 Ketch - Scotts' Mist
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post

Just curious...

Chris
Hi Chris,

I've got the 1000W Kipor (honda copy). I've had the unit apart and had a good look at the electronics inside. From what I can work out, the multiphase AC (and hence the rectified DC) is generated at quite a high voltage. I'm guessing in the hundreds of volts? (anyone know exactly?) I think this becasue the wiring inside the unit is of very thin gauge. If it was anything near 12V it would require very sizable wiring.

Because of this, I doubt you could make use of this by tapping into the "intermediate" DC i.e. the AC(multiphase) ---> DC ----> AC @ 230V 50Hz /110V @ 60Hz (delete as aplicable) process for 12V battery charging.
iain_scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda