Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2009, 16:22   #31

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Generator in the rain

When we used to "live" off of the Honda EU 1000, we left it out side. If it was going to rain or snow, we just made a tent out of a tarp for it. Basically just draped a tarp over the top. Just make sure that the exhaust is not blocked. Any kind of cover will work. If you want it to look nice Build a box with vent holes. That might help with theft protection also.
I'll also metion that when we were doing this we were on the hard in the pacific north west. We were not in a salty environment. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. I know that salt water carries electrical current better than fresh water.
Best of luck with what ever you choose
Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 16:24   #32

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
At the risk of prolonging the beating of a dead horse, you're suggesting that a 15 amp battery charger is sufficient for a 225 AH battery bank? Three hours minimum of run time to put 45 amps into it? That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus that charger is a freakin' portable unit, I wouldn't want that banging around on my boat.

If the guy wants to buy a Honda gen and 55 amp IOTA then what's the problem, it's his bucks. If he goes to a bigger battery bank, he's already set up for it. And we all know that as often as not you end up going bigger, never seen anybody go smaller.

There's overkill and there's also underkill, and I think what you're suggesting is the latter. Overkill may be wasting money if you ignore the fact that good equipment will likely last longer, but underkill most definitely is wasting money because cheap stuff dies young from overwork.

I'm puttin' my money in solar and wind, but if I was going to buy a small gen, I'd buy the Honda. I am buying the IOTA as well, a 55 amp for a 460 amp bank, at $210 plus $35 for the IQ4, it's a bargain.
Go right ahead and spend the money if it pleases you. The point is that spending that amount certainly isn't 'required' to charge 2 T-105's. It's rather telling that one poster gave an actual use scenario of his setup, which included running the 2000i all night to power a water heater and cabin oil heater. So what's the sense of having a generator/charger that can charge a battery bank in 1 hr if the generator is going to be running all night long anyways?...or at least several hours every evening to power a TV and other appliances?

Yes, that one charger was 'portable', but generators have to be moved out on the deck anyways so what's the big deal moving the charger too? (You'll notice that the 2nd charger I linked to was the 20A 'onboard' mounted variety).

The only horse being beaten here is the one many folks apparently like to ride on while spending the big bucks on over-spec'd equipment that they may or may not 'grow into' (more than likely it breaks or they sell the boat before that happens though) rather than on what they actually need to do the job at the time.
'Good equipment' only 'lasts longer' when it isn't stolen, immersed or doused with water, and/or plugged into the wrong voltage shore power, to name just a few of the mishaps likely to happen to expensive electrical equipment on boats.

FYI, thieves are even stealing solar panels from land-based installations these days, so hanging a rack of expensive solar panels on a boat is like hanging a 'loot me' sign on your boat. Unless you plan on watching your boat 24/7/365 or paying someone to watch it for you, going solar to me means going 'stealth solar' with foldable or flexible panels that can be deployed and then tucked out of sight when the boat is unoccupied. Hey!, there's someplace that you could spend the extra money/big bucks ....i.e. flexible solar panels..... where spending the extra money actually makes sense. But let me guess...most just go with the regular rigid solar panels mounted on Bimini frames. LOL!
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 16:52   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Roscoe, we have quite a bit of none slip so a rubber backed carpet doesn't seem to move at all even on a slight slope. However yes we do tie it down. Great big handle on top to help with this.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson, ericson 25, honda eu2000, iota