Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 17:26   #16

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Honda EU 2000i Companion Generator

Ok, If you actually have a Freedom Marine 25 it has a 130a charger which has a max 110 input amperage of 26 amps (per Xantrex). If you run your bank down and the charger tries to put out the full 130 amps it is going to be too much for the Honda to handle.

Like sailorboy1 said, you need to do some homework or talk with someone who knows what to do. If not you could end up spending a lot of time and money for a crappy setup.

Also personally I tried the generator route in the past and decided to go solar. No gas, no noise, no pissed of neighbors.

Good luck!
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 17:34   #17

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jmote1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:04   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm going to tell you this and I mean it in a good positive way in an attempt to help you:

You need to go get a book about this stuff and read it then come back with questions so you can get answers.
I think he has gotten "some" good advise. The book might help him understanding it? Not meaning that in a derogatory sense toward him.
Just confirming your assessment and I hope he takes your advise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:24   #19

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The simple answer is yes, a 2kw genset will normally be fine. You will need to make up a lead to connect from the genset to the shorepower inlet. It is normallt recomended that you also ground the charger by dropping a wire from the ground point on the genset overboard. Not generally critical to do that but depends on how the boat is wired. The other safety points to consider;
1 - Exhaust, you will be running it on deck so be careful that exhaust fumes don't get drawn through vents or hatches below deck
2 - These are good machines but not designed for boats, they are positively alergic to salt water so be warry of spray. should be OK running in light rain but a sheild will give it longer life if it is going to be left on deck (they are also popular with theives!)
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
It is normallt recomended that you also ground the charger by dropping a wire from the ground point on the genset overboard.
This is the very first time I have ever heard of this. It appears to be very misleading, especially to the OP who appears to be unknowledgeable about electrical systems on boats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:00   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
. It is normallt recomended that you also ground the charger by dropping a wire from the ground point on the genset overboard. Not generally critical to do that but depends on how the boat is wired.
It is "normally recommended" to use a marine genset that is wired properly for a marine installation. The Honda EU2000 generators, and many other floating neutral portable generators, are not properly configured/wired for marine use, or NEC for that matter. They use a floating neutral or floating ground which only means neutral & ground are not bonded "at the source of power" which is now the generator.

Many chargers, inverters and ELCI breakers for instance will not work properly with a floating neutral generator. Best to confirm a Honda EU will actually work with your equipment first.

Honda does not recommend connecting ground and neutral inside the generator, or to use an RGP / Rube Goldberg Plug which bonds neutral to ground. When I last spoke with Honda engineering they said bonding neutral to ground at the generator will void the warranty. Folks using these on-board are doing so at their own risk, in many ways....
Old 25-09-2014, 11:05   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I used mine just the way described while cruising this summer. Completely charged my batteries at 0900 in about 45 minutes. I have 450 a-hrs and a greedy fridge. Did not use it that much, used less than a gallon of gas while cruising 5 weeks, but it was nice to have.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:08   #23

Most small gen-sets for recreational use recommend earthing via ground stake. Almost nobody does! It is recommended because if you have an earth fault on connected equipment there are conditions where fuses and trips do not operate under live fault conditions because there is no earth route back to the generator.
With installed gen-sets the earth and neutral lines are connected at the generator output then the generator chassis is grounded. The ground stake on the portable set does the same job as the chassis ground on the installed set. Getting this to work on a boat can be a problem as there is often no ground system for 240 volts. Ideally all 240v equipment should be connected to a separate immersed ground point and this would be the ideal place to run the gen-set chssis ground too. That is often physically difficult so dropping a wire overboard is a compromise option. If you dont have a mains ground won't work. Not uncommon for boats not to have properly set up mains ground and it has lead to death for swimmers and electrolytic corrosion problems. Mans systems on boats really need expert fitting to be safe and if you are not an expert it is always a good idea to get an electrical survey done on a new boat.
(I come from Europe so for 240V ream 'mains')
Old 25-09-2014, 11:19   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I used mine just the way described while cruising this summer. Completely charged my batteries at 0900 in about 45 minutes. I have 450 a-hrs and a greedy fridge. Did not use it that much, used less than a gallon of gas while cruising 5 weeks, but it was nice to have.
Wow it beats physics!! I love it when devices can do the impossible... I guess I need to try mine on the boat.......
Old 25-09-2014, 11:23   #25

Getting a bit worried by this. Mains voltage on boats is potentially lethal and should be done by a professional to the correct national regulation. Using any non-marine equipment could lead to insurance and liability problems if anyone gets injured. Without inspecting the boat it is impossible to give sound advice so take any comments, including mine, to be 'friendly advice' not authoritative. Unless you have the expertise get help.
Old 25-09-2014, 12:12   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]

I hope you take sailorboys advise about a book. As I said, you have gotten "some" good advise. Maybe the book will help you wade through some of the BS. If the posts get wordy roll up your trousers, it's getting deep.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:12   #27

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I also have 450 ah batteries and a greedy fridge. Honda 1000 and a 35 amp charger. Run it for about 2 hours every third day. Use less than a gallon a week. A 135 watt solar panel helps.

If I can figure out how to mount another solar panel I might not need the honda at all.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:20   #28

Quote:
Most small gen-sets for recreational use recommend earthing via ground stake. Almost nobody does!
Well, ahem, that's because the manuals are written for use in GROUND (pi!) situations, like in a house. Kinda hard to do on a boat, right?

Maine Sail's right, yet again.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 05:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I don't think you can charge batteries with the Honda's 12v outlet. Not enough voltage.
Actually you can. The generators "12 volt" system will actually put out 14 - 16 volts, but the output is limited to the same current as the 120 volt system (i.e. 15 amps continuous) which would take all day to charge even a small battery.

Using a battery charger converts 120 volts at 15 amps to 14 volts at up to 125 amps (some power is lost in the system) allowing it to charge the battery in a fraction of the time.
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 06:01   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudGates View Post
Actually you can. The generators "12 volt" system will actually put out 14 - 16 volts, but the output is limited to the same current as the 120 volt system (i.e. 15 amps continuous) which would take all day to charge even a small battery.

Using a battery charger converts 120 volts at 15 amps to 14 volts at up to 125 amps (some power is lost in the system) allowing it to charge the battery in a fraction of the time.
The 12V charge port is an unregulated voltage source (could cook batteries if they got full enough) and has a maximum charge rate of 8A.

It's as useless as boobs on a bull for a deeply cycled bank.....

Most EU2000's will not drive a battery charger larger than about 70-80A but this will depend on the efficiency of the charger. I have seen many EU2K's that tap out on inverter/chargers unless the I/C can be derated or the charger portion can be current limited, some can, some can't. Some chargers are rather horrible in the efficiency department so it will be dependent upon your specific charger more than anything.

The EU2000 is limited to 1600W continuous, and if like mine, it may tap out lower. Mine taps out at about 1520W continuous. Course Honda says this is "within range" and acting normally. So, my particular 2000W generator is really a 1520W generator.....

Tags
generator, honda