Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2012, 08:31   #31

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Honda Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Isn't it interesting how a bunch of sailors who normally talk about less expensive options and complain about the cost of things, still seem to be willing to just blindly accept that there isn't an alternative to the Honda 2000?
I don't see how that is being said here. Like the proverbial Scotsman who invented wire by squeezing a penny, I hate spending money, but research and reputation convinced me to buy a Honda 2000 five years ago, and I haven't regretted that decision for a moment, nor, aside from the Yamaha, have I seen real contenders to challenge that conclusion. I've owned two Honda outboards, and a Mercury two-stroke. The Hondas win on noise and serviceability. Doesn't mean the alternatives aren't good. It does imply that the Hondas were, and remain, better.

But if you have a different point of view, it's fine to make it known without implying that those who've chosen the admittedly pricy Honda gensets are part of an unthinking herd.

Old 16-10-2012, 08:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I don't see how that is being said here. Like the proverbial Scotsman who invented wire by squeezing a penny, I hate spending money, but research and reputation convinced me to buy a Honda 2000 five years ago, and I haven't regretted that decision for a moment, nor, aside from the Yamaha, have I seen real contenders to challenge that conclusion. I've owned two Honda outboards, and a Mercury two-stroke. The Hondas win on noise and serviceability. Doesn't mean the alternatives aren't good. It does imply that the Hondas were, and remain, better.

But if you have a different point of view, it's fine to make it known without implying that those who've chosen the admittedly pricy Honda gensets are part of an unthinking herd.
Yep, as the saying goes you can't judge a book by it's cover the same could be said for generators you bring on board. Just because it looks like a Honda on the outside does not mean it will operate, sound and be as reliable as one. Having recently had to look inside my Honda 2000:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HONDA 2000i GENERATOR REPAIR: Pull Cord Replacement
I still think a lot of good engineering went into it's design and other than having some of the case screws seize up due to corrosion after five years I really have no complaints about it's operation. I would choose it again. It was a pretty easy to repair once I got the seized screws and covers off. IMO opinion it has proven its self in the RV market and on board my boat. I have not seen an alternative that made me wish I had made another choice.

Old 16-10-2012, 09:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Currently own three generators, a cheapo Chinese 1 KW, a Yamaha 3 KW and a Northern Tools 4.5 KW. The cheapo Chinese lasted about 6 months but I only paid $100 for it and bought it with the idea that if it did last 6 months that's all I needed at the time. Didn't want a more expensive gennie since it was in a situation where it would have been very easy to steal and losing a $1000 Honda was not an option for me.

The Yamaha is for home backup and is run once or twice a year for an hour or so to keep it happy so cannot comment on long term reliability. It does crank first pull and is very quiet, especially for a 3 KW.

The Northern Tools I am using for power in the woods where I'm working on my boat. It's loud and heavy but has been very reliable and also cranks first pull every time. I also paid about 50% more (even on sale) that the bottom of the line cheapos and it has paid off but this is not a gennie to use on a boat.

Based on experience with all the above and a couple of others over the years the Honda will be what I put on the boat when I take off cruising.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:32   #34
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

You know if you read from the start I never questioned that the Honda is a good unit. The question is whether there are others that are almost good and for the savings are worth it! So people posting that they haven't tried anything else, don't even have a Honda, but think the Honda is the cat's meow and would buy a Honda anyway at any cost is pretty useless.

So far on the thread the Yamaha has gotten good review.

I saw a 2000W Generic (sp?) the other day at Lowe's that looked nice for under $600. On-line reviews for it are good! Just saying.

I also have an 800W unit from Harbor Freight. It probably is a POC, but at $90 only took 1 weekend to pay for itself over going into a slip just to charge the battery and is still running fine!

PS - the Honda engine in my Acura has been great. The Honda outboard I have has run good THIS year but has been problem prone for years. So I can not just accept an engine just because Honda built!
Old 16-10-2012, 15:49   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Frugal and stupid are mutually exclusive things
Huh???

What ever are you thinking? I know LOTS of people who are both frugal (read cheap) and stupid. Not mutually exclusive at all.

Jim
Old 16-10-2012, 17:21   #36

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
You know if you read from the start I never questioned that the Honda is a good unit. The question is whether there are others that are almost good and for the savings are worth it! So people posting that they haven't tried anything else, don't even have a Honda, but think the Honda is the cat's meow and would buy a Honda anyway at any cost is pretty useless.
A few months ago, there was a thorough objective review comparing 4 generators in the ARRL publication QST which you should be able to get at a library or most ham radio operators.

It did a pretty thorough job of comparing the Honda, a Yamaha, a Generac and one other I forgot.

There were some significant difference in capacity vs. advertized rating, noise (electrically generated vs. ambient) and purity of the wave.

It will answer all your questions if you read it. And yes, you already know the winner.
Old 08-04-2013, 17:11   #37

Anybody use the genconnex its a honda 2000 professionally modified to run on propane. Considering this and interested in anyones input.
Old 08-04-2013, 18:05   #38
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I saw a 2000W Generic (sp?) the other day at Lowe's that looked nice for under $600. On-line reviews for it are good! Just saying.
Don,
I own one a GENERAC ix2000. Its ok, but not great. It seems a bit louder and heaver than a Honda. Sometimes it is tough to start, but it has always started every time I have tried. Next one will be a Honda.

PS I have a 2 year old one for $350 in CT.
Old 08-04-2013, 20:40   #39

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Just an update: Today (on the hard), I installed a couple of new Group 27s on my smaller boat prior to launch, probably next week. My now six-year-old Honda 2000 started on the first pull. My boat partner had a truly antique Honda 1000 (not the "EU" model, but something from the '80s, by the look of it.). His started on the second pull.

Ambient temperature: 6C.

His Honda powered a buffer for a few hours. Mine charged the Group 27s and powered an AC light I used to ready an Atomic 4 I rebuilt. It, too, started "first pull".

Once the anti-foul dries, we are ready to launch.

Is this an endorsement of the Honda? In part, yes. I change the oil and give it fresh gas (plus stabilizer when I don't think I'll need it for a month or so). I treat the Atomic 4, which is 40 years old this year, the same way.

There is, however, something to be said for "good bones". I find the Honda gensets possess these bones, and therefore retain my custom.

Tags
honda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: