Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31   #16

Boat: Sandpiper 565
Re: Honda alternatives

I have a 1kW house-branded Chinese knock-off of the same-sized Honda inverter generator. [edit - it's the same 'Yardworks unit mentioned in Stu's link] It's allegedly made by Suzhou Tiger Power Machine Co., Ltd. It's normal retail was $500; I got it for $160 because it was a reconditioned unit... and because I much later discovered that it was discontinued and subject to recall because of a report of a reported gas leak (I've inspected and my unit seems OK in that regard)

I cleaned it and fired it up, and have run it at least once every two months for the last two years, sometimes with a 800 W heater load. Longest running time - 2 hours. I gave it top grade oil and only run ethanol-free gas in it.

So far - so good. Coming out of storage it generally starts after several pulls (one or two pulls if it's been run in the last day or two). It's reasonably quiet and smooth-running.

At present, it's just an emergency backup genny at home til we get that bigger boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So we still are looking for replies by those with direct knowledge of using a non-Honda unit, as opposed to general trashing of units one has no experience with and kissing the Honda's exhaust pipe.

While I know it wouldn't be possible; the useful replies will begain with "I have used a brand X and ....."
Why did I buy the above generator? Because it seemed a great toy for the price and I'm generally handy with such things. If I was equipping a larger boat and buying a new portable inverter-generator, and lacking any further experience with other generators...would I buy anything but a Honda?... No.

The fact is... some product categories have clear class-leaders, and everyone else is playing catch-up. And a very few manufacturers have a well-earned reputation for superior design and manufacturing. In my opinion, Honda is just such a manufacturer. Our Honda Civic is 10 years old and is still as close to a perfectly reliable car as I've ever owned. Still fun to drive, and utterly dependable. My Dad's Accord was equally dependable, and well-appointed. And Honda small inverter-generators are the hands-down top models in that category.

Yeah, it would be great to hear about other generators and people's good experiences with them. Competition is always good.But, at this time, I don't think anyone will ever regret buying a Honda generator.

Some exhaust pipes are worth kissing, Don

Old 05-10-2012, 12:45   #17

Boat: 38' French Cat
At our tree farm we run several generators amd have worn several out over the years. We do oil changes every 20-30 hours the cheaper chinese engines use cheaper materials for their piston rings and valve train and seem to last 1/4 as long as our better made hondas and subaru/robin powered units. Over the months the cheaper units just wear out and lose compression to the point they no longer start. Someone said the costco unit has a 2 year, or 2k hour guarranty. Fot half the cost of a Honda yamaha unit might be worth a try. We have roughly 7-800 hours use on our honda eu 2000. The only problem was recently the starter cord broke while running and i think took out the low oil shutoff switch i bypassed as its never burned oil. And yes we use synthetic in all of them.

Old 05-10-2012, 14:24   #18

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I have to give some credit to Champion, their unit (when it ran) made no more noise than a Honda.

On the other hand, the Honda makes more noise now, because it does RUN!
I guess to be fair, I should mention that when I got the bigger gen, Cabela's gave me a 1 KW Champion as well. It is two cycle and will run a single power tool, it is a bit loud and weighs about 30 lbs. I use it for charging the house bank and to work on my Chrysler when anchored out on one of the lakes around here.

I haven't had any problems with it yet and it seems to sip fuel.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:25   #19

Boat: csy 37

i have used a brand x and -

not quite. but one of the anchor out liveaboards here bought the cheap little 800w gen that harbor freight sells. think he paid under $100. also bought the insurance policy - don't know how much it is but i'm guessing about $20. that was the smart move. he's on his third gen now, having excercised his insurance option twice. he originally bought it about two years ago....

me? i've had my honda eu1000 about four years now. use to run it pretty regularly for battery charging but not as much lately since i installed a solar panel.
Old 07-10-2012, 14:34   #20
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

well that sounds like a good deal, $100 and 2 years!

I moved my cheap little Chicago 800 watt unit to a different spot this weekend and it was less noisy
Old 08-10-2012, 22:08   #21

Boat: Velamar/German Frers 27
Does anybody use this gens on the dinghy? I guess would be much quieter.
If not, why?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Putting the generator in the dinghy to run would be good for your boat, less noise and also to put the dangerous exhaust gases further away from your cabin. But if you are anchored in harbor with other boats I think you would not be very popular with your neighbors.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Honda Alternatives

sad to say no other generator will start on first pull despite 10 yrs of chronic abuse and running upside down(wake activity dropped it onto its topside) and valves being freed due to stickiness problem--mine looks like crap but still runs like a top. i would not go any other generator but a honda 2000--you will be sooo glad when it is pristine in 10 yrs and other generators have been trashed years before...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04   #24

I personally would not use anything but, a Honda 2000i. It's reliable and has served me well for five years now. Except as I mentioned in another post that one should put some anti seize or Tef Gel on the case screws before they seize. Guess how I know?:
Honda 2000i generator is too reliable
I have electric propulsion and the Honda 2000 is part of a three legged stool approach (along with solar and wind) for charging my electric propulsion system and also charging for the 12 volt house batteries. Reliability is important to me. I also use it for adding additional power when using the electric windlass (With electric propulsion I have no engine alternator to help do this). It also is used as part of my hybrid propulsion operation when the wind dies. So I want something that's reliable and the Honda has proven this to me. To me it's not worth it to save a few bucks on something that looks the same but, is noisier and may not be as reliable as the Honda.
Old 15-10-2012, 16:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I bought a honeywell 2000i generator off of a guy on criegs list. He got a new one when his old one was replaced under warranty and he bought one in the mean time so he had a brand new in box that I bought for $400.00. I thought I was getting a sceaming deal. It ran great for two tanks, used a small amount of gas and was quit.

Then on the thrid tank it started then reved up to unbelivable RPM's and before I could get to it it flu apart, throwing metal through the plastic sides. When I took it get warranty. they denied it because I was not the original owner. I throw it away and chocked up another lesson learned.
Old 15-10-2012, 20:03   #26

You know, these questions are getting somewhat strange, given ALL of the very same questions, like "Honda alternatives."

There simply aren't any (maybe Yamaha?) but I don;t have a generator, but if I was thinking about one, waddya think I'd go for?

There is 35 years of experience that simply says that the question is, well, nuts.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 20:37   #27

I don't have experience with the Honda but have owned a Yamaha EF2000is since 2009 and am VERY satisfied. Read my Amazon review with pros and cons. Amazon.com: trisailor "trisailor"'s review of Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000 Watt 79cc OHV 4-Stro...

I have no relationship or interest in any company in the generator business.
Old 16-10-2012, 05:06   #28
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Isn't it interesting how a bunch of sailors who normally talk about less expensive options and complain about the cost of things, still seem to be willing to just blindly accept that there isn't an alternative to the Honda 2000?
Old 16-10-2012, 06:38   #29

Boat: 38' French Cat
We had until two years ago a 1986 Honda 200 ATV. Looked like hell but ran like new. The chinese knockoffs don't last 6 months. You get what you pay for.
Old 16-10-2012, 06:49   #30

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Isn't it interesting how a bunch of sailors who normally talk about less expensive options and complain about the cost of things, still seem to be willing to just blindly accept that there isn't an alternative to the Honda 2000?
Frugal and stupid are mutually exclusive things

Tags
honda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: