Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 09:59   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Honda 2000i generator is too reliable

It's a delightful video...I actually started grinning, but it solves a problem I don't really have, or rather would prefer to fund in the form of a companion Honda 2000.

Still, clever as hell. The independent on/off of the individual AC outlets is impressive.

I didn't watch everything...how did he deal with the idea that the choke needs to be leaned out after you start the motor? In my experience, once you've run the Honda for a few minutes (i.e. "warmed up"), you can shut it down and you have about half an hour of being able to start it with the choke off: just by switching on and giving a single pull of the cord.

After that, you need to apply full choke, pull, start, and then flip the choke off.

So I see the fly in the ointment to this set up being a fully remote control process being that you need to initially advance the choke and then retard the choke by hand. Then you could switch on and off all day.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 11:10   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400

I am very happy with my Honda 2000i generator.
Any suggestions where to download a free Repair/Service Manual?
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 14:13   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kat--come to my boat with a digital camera--i still have my 10 yr old one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 19:53   #19

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Word to the wise! My Honda 2000i generator has performed very reliably for the past five years. So much so that I had to scrub a two week cruise because I could not take the covers off to change out a broken pull cord because corrosion had seized some of the case screws:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: RELIABILITY: So much for that!
If you are using a Honda 2000 best to coat the case screws with some type of corrosion inhibitor BEFORE you ever need to remove them. I spent two days trying to remove them. Now waiting for replacement screws to arrive before continuing.
That applies to all generator manufacturers, if the unit is to be used in an environment prone to corrosion. The case screws on an $89 Harbor Freight Tools generator will corrode just as easily as will those from the EU2000i if left unprotected. This should not be used as a determining factor for reliability. The EU2000i has a rock solid reputation.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:12   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ugly duck has been torn down 3 times-- first time we used pb blaster--all screws came out well and with ease. had been 5 yrs of abusive treatment and a valve stuck. we tore it down and tapped valve and ta daa....again functional genny..LOL....gods made pb blaster for good reason...my backup genny was a freebie--lil 800 wtt 2 stroke stroke maker..LOL i think is yellow or blue--is open case and louder than screetching meemees
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 11:42   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKokomo View Post
I am very happy with my Honda 2000i generator.
Any suggestions where to download a free Repair/Service Manual?
I've got a cd with the manual on it. Unfortunately it's on the boat in FL and I'm in Toronto. There are a lot of these cd's floating around the cruising community. The manual has a good section on troubleshooting and testing. I had to replace the inverter in mine 2 seasons ago. Only time anyone had heard of the inverter going. Luckily my buddy had one from a dead 2000. He had 3 2000's aboard. One he used, one a brand new spare and all the parts he'd salvaged from a dead one. He's now gone solar and the Hondas seldom get out on deck.
Old 23-09-2012, 16:01   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

What is so special about the case screws on the Honda that you can't find a replacement locally?
Old 23-09-2012, 16:12   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you go for the H3000is then you get electric start. $2400. oh well
Old 23-09-2012, 16:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
It's a delightful video...I actually started grinning, but it solves a problem I don't really have, or rather would prefer to fund in the form of a companion Honda 2000.

Still, clever as hell. The independent on/off of the individual AC outlets is impressive.

I didn't watch everything...how did he deal with the idea that the choke needs to be leaned out after you start the motor? In my experience, once you've run the Honda for a few minutes (i.e. "warmed up"), you can shut it down and you have about half an hour of being able to start it with the choke off: just by switching on and giving a single pull of the cord.

After that, you need to apply full choke, pull, start, and then flip the choke off.

So I see the fly in the ointment to this set up being a fully remote control process being that you need to initially advance the choke and then retard the choke by hand. Then you could switch on and off all day.
Alchemy:

I believe he had an actuating lever arm that moved the choke lever for starting and then back to the operating position.
Old 23-09-2012, 16:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
If you go for the H3000is then you get electric start. $2400. oh well
Unfortunately, too big and too heavy at least for my use. When doing some extended electro-sailing I can carry the Honda 2000 forward with the exhaust pointing off the leeward side and I can hardly hear it in the cockpit. Could not do that with the 3000.
Old 23-09-2012, 16:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
That applies to all generator manufacturers, if the unit is to be used in an environment prone to corrosion. The case screws on an $89 Harbor Freight Tools generator will corrode just as easily as will those from the EU2000i if left unprotected. This should not be used as a determining factor for reliability. The EU2000i has a rock solid reputation.
Astral:

I agree the Honda 2000 is the bees knees. Because it was so reliable I never had a reason to remove the sides ever in five years of operation. When the pull cord broke and I needed to actually remove the screws they were seized requiring two days of effort to try and extract them. What I'm saying is because the generator was so reliable and required so little maintenance the simple pull cord replacement became a week and counting maintenance job so far. My advice is for those who own this ( or any other generator) put some type of anti corrosion grease on the screws before you have to do the maintenance in some remote locale. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation.
Old 23-09-2012, 16:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What is so special about the case screws on the Honda that you can't find a replacement locally?
I found some in the metric section of Home Depot. But, Honda also has a few of these "special" screws which have some machined metal shoulders on them that hold the sides together. I first went to the local Honda Power shop and they did not have them (probably because they don't get to work on too many Honda 2000's either ) So I ordered them online from a Honda parts outlet only to find that they also had to order them from Honda. Meantime I wait.
Old 23-09-2012, 22:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Alchemy:

I believe he had an actuating lever arm that moved the choke lever for starting and then back to the operating position.
Huh...I must have skipped that bit.

OK, he's very clever....
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 24-09-2012, 16:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Huh...I must have skipped that bit.

OK, he's very clever....
Alchemy:

No you did not miss it. It was on another video that was posted back in 2007 that showed a little bit of what was inside on a prototype. Unfortunately, that video does not seem to be available anymore.
Old 25-09-2012, 20:55   #30

Good to know. I already need weak reading glasses...with my contact lenses in...<sigh>

Tags
generator, honda