Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 17:50   #1

Honda 2000i Clone

Just saw a 2000 watt, 4 cycle, invertor based, variable speed generator at Costco for less than $500! 12v and 120v outlets

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 18:09   #2

Re: Honda 2000i clone

I bought a knockoff from Pep Boys a couple yrs ago for $300. Looked exactly like the Honda 2000. Side by side you couldn't tell them apart w/o looking at the decals. All Power I believe was the name. Was a dud out of the box. Wouldn't run a light bulb, then the econo mode quite working. Was quite abit louder too than a Honda. I returned it with the opinion I got what I paid for. I picked up a Honda 2000 with no hrs this summer for $650.
They are sweet.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 18:21   #3

Re: Honda 2000i clone

Great deal on the Honda. Not sure what brand this was. Did say 53Dba noise level which is real quiet. I'd buy the Honda for $250 more though! Unfortunately they are usually a lot more than that!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 19:48   #4

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Re: Honda 2000i Clone

spend the money buy a honda or yamaha both top notch. i cheaped out bought both a hyundai and honeywell portable gennys both sucked one lasted a week other 2 days. bought the yamaha havent had a ounce of problem.
Old 16-11-2011, 15:32   #5

I see brand new Honda 2000's advertised every week in the indiana Auto RV magazine for $899 from a few dealers that are up in Michigan. Used ones seem to stay right around the 650 mark.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 16:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

If I have a minute, I’ll bet my Honda has 1000 hours
Old 16-11-2011, 16:40   #7

Boat: non now

i have a honda 2000i which i bought new for $900.i run a tank full of gas through it everyday.i change the oil every 10 gallons of gas.it's been in use the better part of a year.my friend down the beach bought a knock off.i don't think it lasted 3 months until the crank shaft broke.i'll never buy anything but a genuine honda
scorpio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:50   #8

Been using a Honda 2000i for over four years to charge my electric propulsion system and used it to power the boat along for ten hours on windlass day this summer. Only had to do oil changes to it and it starts everytime. IMO it's worth the extra money for the reliability. Personally I would not trust any other generator to work as well.
Old 16-11-2011, 18:03   #9

Boat: Land Locked

I grew up on a farm and I really don't think we ever owned any other gennie than a Honda (used for general power operations and irrigation tasks). We could be very negligent in servicing them and they still would not miss a beat. I think most of them would of been lucky to get a service every two thousand hours... Can't remember ever having any dramas starting one!

Unfortunately motors of this nature really tend to be one of those "you get what you pay for" circumstances!

Im surprised the Hyundai was such a dud though. There passengar vehicles have come a very very long way in the past 7 years or so from what I can see.
TomSmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 18:31   #10

Boat: Transpac 49

It never ceases to amaze me that people will still buy this 'cheap' knock off equipment!

I mean seriously, ask yourself if the clone price is half that of the OEM product, how do you think they arrived at that pricing point? Using same quality materials? Having the same product backup, warranty, spares?

Yes yes, I know people will say, but the stuff is made in China anyway. Mostly correct, but with a OEM name behind it, you can sure that you will have product support and spares in 3yrs time. Try that with a clone...

Remember the days when the Russians sold their tractors to the West? Yes, it was always recommended to buy 2, that way at least you had some spares when the original shat itself after 30hrs work.

Just my 2c.

Tim

Tags
generator, honda, honda eu2000