Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 09:47   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Honda 2000 start cord failure - it will happen to you

Love our Honda. However, it has perhaps 200 hours on it. Maybe 200 starts.
The start cord broke. When you youtube replacing the start cord, you will see this is a DESIGN FLAW. YOUR CORD WILL BREAK! Amazing that Honda would design a system guaranteed to fail. Of course many may just take their Honda to the local shop and ask them to fix it.
If you are out in the boonies, you will need to fix it yourself. My recommendations:
Watch the videos in advance! I didn't, and that that was a MISTAKE.
Do a dismantle at home or at the next place you can commandeer a picnic table, and lube all the screws well with grease. I did that partially, not knowing the extent of the disassembly required to get to the recoil unit.
Have an extra cord. I bought a piece of thin Amsteel for this contingency.
INSPECT YOUR CORD! If you catch it fraying before it breaks you may just be able to pull that section out and start it using six inches less cord. Don't know as ours broke before I realized I should be inspecting it.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda