Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2008, 07:54   #1

Honda 2000 Generator

Another person asked this question on another board and has not recieved any input. So, I've decided to see if we can get input from the experts on this board.

I am thinking about purchasing the Honda 2000 generator with anticipation of running a 16,000 btu air conditioning system on our boats. The question being, will this generator handle the necessary start up loads? We've both seen situations where smaller systems are started up and run.

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
MoonDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 08:25   #2

Welcome, lots of info here. Try doing a search.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 08:46   #3

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
I have the Honda 2K generator and the 20K BTU ac. The Honda will run it as long as I don't have anything else (charger) running. I actually have two Honda gens and will be getting the connector kit so that I can also charge as long as I'm making the noise.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 08:49   #4

Thank you for your response. I'll give it a try.
MoonDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 09:33   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I once tried to run my 16K btu on the boat with the Honda 2000 and it popped the breaker on the generator everytime. Based upon the power demand, I figured that the 3K gen was the least required.

On the other hand, I use the 2k Honda to run a 5k AC at home during power outages such as with hurricanes and it has no problem. I even have a conversion kit to run the Honda on propane for that purpose. With a 20 lb propane bottle that would be the equivalent of a bit less than 5 gal of gasoline instead of the 1 gallon tank.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 09:48   #6

This months Ocean Navigator magazine has an article on this issue.

The problem with running A/C is of course the high start up surge required. Your Honda has plenty of juice to run the A/C, but not enough to manage the load during start up. The solution (hopefully) is a synchronizing inverter. Such an inverter evaluates the power needs and then synchronizes power coming from the generator with power drawn and inverted from the batteries.

So with your Honda plugged in, when the A/C startup load exceeds the Honda's output the inverter seamlessly steps in and makes up the difference from the battery bank. When the A/C cycles off and the input current exceeds requirements, the inverter switches to battery charging.

The purpose of this sort of inverter is specifically to enable a much smaller generator to work in more situations.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 07:46   #7

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Another option, if you are using domestic type systems, is some of them now have a soft start which greatly reduces startup surges.
I have not investigated them yet so can not verify it but it may be worth a look.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I used that same generator to try to get a 100 amp Statpower inverter/charger to charge up my batteries when my shore power had died. When the charger came online, the generator would kick out. So apparently that generator cannot handle a 100 amp (times 120 Volts) = 1200 watt charge plus whatever inefficiencies there are in the charger...maybe 1400 to 1500 watts total? Fortunately I also have a 30 amp charger, which that generator had no problem running....sure took a long time to charge up 3 8-D's enough to turn one of the engines over.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:37   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
David,

I have used the Honda EU2000i for three seasons in the Bahamas now. I have a Heart inverter/charger which can put out 100 amps. I regularly see over 90 amps going into the batteries with the Honda. My house bank is a bit over 400amps (2 4D's) plus an echo charge to the start battery.
Old 16-08-2008, 10:55   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
David,

I have used the Honda EU2000i for three seasons in the Bahamas now. I have a Heart inverter/charger which can put out 100 amps. I regularly see over 90 amps going into the batteries with the Honda. My house bank is a bit over 400amps (2 4D's) plus an echo charge to the start battery.
Thats interesting. I wonder why my inverter shuts it down? I have only needed it once, fortunately.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 11:32   #11

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Honda 2KW Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
This months Ocean Navigator magazine has an article on this issue.

The problem with running A/C is of course the high start up surge required. Your Honda has plenty of juice to run the A/C, but not enough to manage the load during start up. The solution (hopefully) is a synchronizing inverter. Such an inverter evaluates the power needs and then synchronizes power coming from the generator with power drawn and inverted from the batteries.

So with your Honda plugged in, when the A/C startup load exceeds the Honda's output the inverter seamlessly steps in and makes up the difference from the battery bank. When the A/C cycles off and the input current exceeds requirements, the inverter switches to battery charging.

The purpose of this sort of inverter is specifically to enable a much smaller generator to work in more situations.

Terry
Sounds interesting - a syncronizing invertor. Is the article also online or just in the magazine?

I've used a Honda 2KW for over four years and love it. We use it to run a Cruiseair 5KW AC unit, or for when we use the electric stove or coffee maker, to avoid sucking the amps out of our battery bank. The wife prefers the electric stove over the propane stove - she's feels that it's safer.

On Eco throttle (on the Honda gen) we can run the Cruiseair AC unit at night for 8 hours on one gallon. I would like to rig it in order to suck from a larger tank to get longer run time. The colder air actually drops down into the two aft berths and keeps the saloon very comfy. Those generators are awesome! I highly recommend them. AC's are great option to have to combat the hot Florida summer nights and when the bugs (no-see-ums and squitos) come out.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 18:17   #12

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
surf there are replacement fuel caps for the honda's that draw fuel from a gas can, you just put a tube with a weighted end in the gas can. of course the stock one can be modded to you just need a few feet of fuel tube and put a bung on the gas cap. then seal the gas cap so as it draws a vac on the tank it draws fuel from the gas can. cost 5 bucks
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 02:32   #13

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I would like to rig it in order to suck from a larger tank to get longer run time.
This is what scotty is talking about. Check it out :

Home of the Firedude - Extended run time fuel tank for Honda 2000 generators (and others)

Honda EU2000i external fuel tank
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 08:49   #14

Boat: nebe cape 28
I have two 2000 I used on my travel trailer I will have to try out some these ideals on my boat. great info here
Old 25-08-2008, 11:13   #15

I did a Google search for synchronizing inverter and came up empty. Has anyone seen this mythical beast? I have dreamed of running a small ac unit off my EU2000 and knew there should be a way to draw off the house bank to cover peak loads. This is it. Now who actually sells a synchronizing inverter?
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda eu2000