Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 13:39   #1

Boat: S2, 11M, 36 ft, Dolphin Leap
Honda 2000 gen won't start

With less then 30 hours of operation, I started the generator and forgot to turn the fuel cap to the one position. About an hour later the engine turned off. I discovered the problem, turned the cap to "ON" and started the engine which ran for 2 seconds. Now it won't start. The only hint in the manual was that there is a low oil cut off switch. I checked the oil, looked ox, but I added a litlle anyway. The engine still won't start.

Any help out there would be appreciated.

Keith
Dolphin Leap
kk703hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 13:42   #2

Re: Honda 2000 gen won't start

My Honda stopped dead once, just after starting. Wouldn't fire after that. Pulled the spark plug and found carbon bridging the gap.

If you're sure the oil level is right, might be worth checking the plug.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 13:53   #3

I should have mentioned that, I did check the plug, it was ok, but I took some 400 sand paper and lightly cleaned the tip anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 14:01   #4

Have you checked for a spark? Using a rubber handled tool, hold the plug against the cylinder head so you can see the gap (has to be in shade too) and with the ignition switched on, pull the starter. Easier with an assistant. You should see sparks.

Alternately just try a new plug.

There also a drain in the carburettor float bowl, you can open that for a moment to make sure there's fuel getting to the carb.

Something else that might work is to put a teaspoonful of petrol straight down the spark plug hole, re-install the plug and try again.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:06   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

put a spoon full of fuel in the spark plug hole put the plug back and see if it starts- if so you know its in the fuel side-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:13   #6

Since I am at "Willie's" bar at Morgan's Bluff in Andros, I will go to the boat and try the other suggestions and will continue the thread from Nassau tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keith (Hud)
Dolphin Leap
Old 12-01-2013, 14:25   #7

Boat: 1979 Pearson 35

Most probably the problem is in the fuel. I have had a 2000 for around 5 years and had the same problem. It would run great for awhile then not start. Honda does not have a fuel cut off switch so when you turn it off before running it out of gas some remains in the carburator bowl and eventually it plugs up. You have to (carefully) take the it off, clean it all out including the fuel jets. Buy a welding tip cleaner at Home Depot. It has very thin wires that will fit. (i.e. it's a fold up thing about 4 inches long and runs around $5). Use spray carburator cleaner. Then put clean fuel in the tank and add fuel stabilizer. Also put in a little Sea Foam every other tank.

After I cleaned mine last spring it starts on the first pull every time. Be careful though when you take it apart. Do it in the cabin maybe on a table over a rag when the boat is not rolling.

I found something on the web (lost it though) about someone that drilled a hole in the top, modified the fuel line to add a valve and glued it to the top which then made a fuel cut off valve. I bought parts for doing it at an auto parts store for less than $20 but haven't worked up the courage to drill it yet. There isn't much room in the case.

Honda's answer to the problem is run the fuel out of the tank when you use it. That can take a very long time. Good luck.
bboyher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:40   #8

Boat: Haida 26

Using sand paper to clean a spark plug is a bad idea. Sometimes it will cause the spark to travel down the ceramic insulator. This is called tracking. I have a Honda 1000 and it takes several minutes for fuel to fill the bowl. The fuel line is pretty tiny. They also reccomend adding fuel treatment in the fuel, as this crap they call gasoline varnishes very quickly. I now do not have any fuel problems. This applys to all small engines.. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 14:54   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

To fix a gas engine.
Break it down to these simple steps to check.
1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Compression
4) Spark

To fix a diesel engine.
Break it down to these simple steps to check.
1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Compression
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:04   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk703hh View Post
With less then 30 hours of operation, I started the generator and forgot to turn the fuel cap to the one position. About an hour later the engine turned off. I discovered the problem, turned the cap to "ON" and started the engine which ran for 2 seconds. Now it won't start. The only hint in the manual was that there is a low oil cut off switch. I checked the oil, looked ox, but I added a litlle anyway. The engine still won't start.

Keith
Dolphin Leap
Might be worth trying a bit more oil. I ran around the houses for days with a 1000 before finding out it was the oil cut off, even though the level looked fine in the little window gauge.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:21   #11

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk703hh View Post

Keith
Dolphin Leap
It sounds like you sucked the fuel lines bone dry. Lots of pulling till you refill them.
As mentioned before a sip of gas down the plug hole a time or two should re prime the system
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:25   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

How long has the fuel been in there. I had a similar problem. It ended up being the ethanol in the fuel that allowed water to set in the carb bowl and jet, plugging it up. I had to tear the carb apart and clean it. If your not using the gen for awhile it's best to run it dry for storage.

Same problem with outboards. If they were to change the carb bowl to something noncorrosive the fuel wouldn't affect it so bad. But aluminum and water causes a chalky substance/oxide that plugs the jet.
Old 13-01-2013, 05:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bill Boyher.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:00   #14

Boat: 1979 Pearson 35

Thanks...
bboyher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:08   #15

Boat: Haida 26

This thread got me courious, so I went to the shop to see if mine would start. No, but it's -5deg. and I couldn't even turn it over, brought it into the house, warmed it up and it started 2nd pull. At least I know that my fuel conditioner works... Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda