Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-09-2007, 10:47   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"500HP (and also at 450). I didn't dig very deeply. It's the same one used in the new Mustangs."
Sean, that's not a "500hp continuous duty" rating. It also be rated on the raw shaft, not on the wheels, or vice versa. Going back as far as WW2 (and I don't know if it is still practice, perhaps someone here does) the engines installed aboard USN ships were required to provide continuous duty at the "rating plate" hp rating, and to provide three times that hp for combat operations. The difference being that they were expected to burn out or blow up if kept under combat operations long enough.

Your Mustang engine wouldn't last long running wide out under full load. Unlike an Indy car...it couldn't even last 500 miles "stock".<G>

And despite the occassional reports from forum members that they can fully recharge batteries of various types in just one hour--I haven't heard any battery maker say that can or should be done, if you expect any reasonable life from the battery. They're still all on the 1/4 or 1/5th "C" maximums, AFAIK.

Old 18-09-2007, 13:28   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"500HP (and also at 450). I didn't dig very deeply. It's the same one used in the new Mustangs."
Sean, that's not a "500hp continuous duty" rating. It also be rated on the raw shaft, not on the wheels, or vice versa. Going back as far as WW2 (and I don't know if it is still practice, perhaps someone here does) the engines installed aboard USN ships were required to provide continuous duty at the "rating plate" hp rating, and to provide three times that hp for combat operations. The difference being that they were expected to burn out or blow up if kept under combat operations long enough.

Your Mustang engine wouldn't last long running wide out under full load. Unlike an Indy car...it couldn't even last 500 miles "stock".<G>

And despite the occassional reports from forum members that they can fully recharge batteries of various types in just one hour--I haven't heard any battery maker say that can or should be done, if you expect any reasonable life from the battery. They're still all on the 1/4 or 1/5th "C" maximums, AFAIK.
Agreed. I have no clue when it comes to land things like Mustang engine horsepowers. I defer to your expertise there. I imagine you'd be right. The engine is rated at a 500HP *peak* like all other car engines, right?

But... I have to disagree about your idea of not charging batteries up in an hour. I have been doing so for 2 years now aboard the current boat. The batteries work like the day I got them - no sulfation, no drop in storage capacity and I even do it in less than an hour (45 mins). I draw them down daily and charge them up daily. (except when at docks, so I've really been doing this on a daily basis for about 365 days, rather than 2 years - representing the number of nights I've been at anchor in the past 2 years)

See... it really depends on how deeply you are discharging them. I routinely use my twin Iota 90 Amp chargers (that can put out 180 Amps an hour if required) to charge up a 420AH bank of Trojans that are rarely even below 30% discharge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: