Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2014, 17:30   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Highest Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Right now reading the LiFePo4 threads for me is like a pig looking at a wristwatch...

Actually it isn't hard, but I don't want to have to spend time monitoring anything like that, that should be done automatically, I don't want my battery bank to be another hobby, I want to forget about it. You can charge your lead acids manually also, but most of us of course have automatic chargers for that, little model airplanes use a BMS, my dive scooter uses a BMS for it's kilowatt hour battery, I think even rechargeable tools have a BMS.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 17:53   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Some day there will be a conversion kit for $5000 + batteries, some time after that the prices will come down...
Heck I'm installing a 400AH LiOn bank now and I'll come in easily under $2500, so the cost is coming down. Once the BMS gets plug and play there will literally be a revolution for power management for cruising boats! Game Changer.

The 400AH LiOn bank will be replacing a 675AH Trojan T-105 bank.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 17:57   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually it isn't hard, but I don't want to have to spend time monitoring anything like that, that should be done automatically, I don't want my battery bank to be another hobby, I want to forget about it. You can charge your lead acids manually also, but most of us of course have automatic chargers for that, little model airplanes use a BMS, my dive scooter uses a BMS for it's kilowatt hour battery, I think even rechargeable tools have a BMS.
Yup - Wouldn't be too many Prius' on the road if the owner had to spend 3 hours a day d!cking around with the batteries.

Hell - Owners don't even want to have to plug electric cars into a socket in the garage - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 18:13   #49

Hasn't this thread gotten a little side tracked?

Anyone have a good < $1500 high output alternator to recommend?
Old 15-07-2014, 18:38   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry about the thread drift JoeFish - Maybe it's anchor dragging...

But you are probably missing the deal of the week...

For Sale: 125A High Output Yanmar Fit Alternator - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 15-07-2014, 18:51   #51

125A is not what I'd consider high output these days for charging LiFeYPO4 banks. 200 outputting 160 would be about the least output I'm looking for.
Old 15-07-2014, 18:54   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I see you haven't been paying attention.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:00   #53

Actually, MaineSail seems to be the only one paying attention. His two comments in the last three pages have 99% of the useful information in this thread.
Old 15-07-2014, 19:01   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Hasn't this thread gotten a little side tracked?

See post #17... Balmar AT series for a small case alt is really difficult to beat... If you have room for a heavy duty off engine bracket then there are bigger alts but they will be more than 1500.00...
Old 15-07-2014, 19:01   #55
Marine Service Provider

get yourself a delco 55, 420 amps at 14 volts, hairpin stator, about 80% efficient. Requires a 12 rib serp., be-careful of the nm side load. not many front engine power take offs can handle this but some can, you need a radial graph from the manufacture. you will absolutely need a spring tension idler.

Lloyd

Quote:
125A is not what I'd consider high output these days for charging LiFeYPO4 banks. 200 outputting 160 would be about the least output I'm looking for.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:08   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
get yourself a delco 55, 420 amps at 14 volts, hairpin stator, about 80% efficient. Requires a 12 rib serp., be-careful of the nm side load. not many front engine power take offs can handle this but some can, you need a radial graph from the manufacture. you will absolutely need a spring tension idler.
Lloyd
I am almost certain our 3 cylinder L26 is not going to be able to push that, especially if I want anything left over for propulsion. We have big tides here too where we cruise (SE Alaska, etc.) so I need the HP from time to time.
Old 15-07-2014, 19:13   #57
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Actually, MaineSail seems to be the only one paying attention. His two comments in the last three pages have 99% of the useful information in this thread.
I feel so unloved I was the first person to suggest an AT-200 and MC 614 regulator plus I pointed out that flooded lead acid batteries can't fully take advantage of that output.

BTW, one reason for choosing that alternator is case size and available room. Even with the small case size I had to shorten the positive output stud. So not only do you have to match the alternator mounting but also think about the entire installation.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I feel so unloved I was the first person to suggest an AT-200 and MC 614 regulator plus I pointed out that flooded lead acid batteries can't fully take advantage of that output.

BTW, one reason for choosing that alternator is case size and available room. Even with the small case size I had to shorten the positive output stud. So not only do you have to match the alternator mounting but also think about the entire installation.
Sorry mate! You did mention the AT first so you get credit for good info as well.

It's just that I have had a couple Balmar alternators rebuilt by the guy who does our friends Porsche race cars (which need exceptional low drag, high output units) and his comment was, 'these Balmar units cost how much? There's nothing here that's anything special by any measure other than the white paint.'

That's when I decided that, at least as far as alternators go, I was done with Balmar. That and the fact I've had to have two of them rebuilt.
Old 15-07-2014, 19:24   #59
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Sorry mate! You did mention the AT first so you get credit for good info as well.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 21:14   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
I think you may have stumbled into the "free" internet.

You probably want the "pay for use" internet where people can read your mind, and all the advice exactly matches what you want.

If you want perfect answers try writing perfect questions. This is like the dance of the seven veils - we get one parameter at a time as we keep failing to meet your expectations for a perfect answer.

Now we know the answer can't be Balmar... Oh and that Fitzall alternator you asked about on page one? Why don't you install one and let us all know how it works.

Honestly - I didn't see any bad customer reviews (at least on the free internet) except one dude who had a hissy fit about a return issue. They do seem to be aimed at the automotive market and think that painting it gray is all it takes to marinize it. Butcha prolly knew that from you own google search...

In the meantime it's OK to keep throwing rocks at all the free opinion and advice. No one really takes the free internet seriously anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internet is wrong.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	85040  

Tags
alternator