Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 20:48   #16

Re: Help with power system

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No where near 30amps AC, more like 4-5 max.
The shore power charger that I'm using is a NOCO Gen3 Marine charger, it assesses 3 individual banks and charges them using the appropriate profile individually (https://no.co/gen3). It then charges each bank with 10A to a max of 30A for all 3 banks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
The GELL and the AGM'S have different charging profiles, you need to go with one or another, unless you run two separate charger's, one fot the GELL and the other for AGM, i would replace the GELL with another AGM and use one charger.
You may be right, especially from the wind and solar, I don't know that the alternator knows any difference between them. I was hoping there was an isolator or charge controller that would help handle this for me.

From shore power the NOCO Gen3 will handle the mix of Gel and AGM.
CaptainJudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:52   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJudson View Post

That would be an interesting capability.

I don't see anywhere in the NOCO user's guide or datasheet where you can select or set charging profiles to match the battery manufacturer's recommendations... let alone mix profiles for each bank. Got a link?

-Chris
Old 22-10-2017, 06:38   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'd be interested too. All the multi-bank shore chargers I've seen have one profile for all outputs, not independent regulation for each.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 06:59   #19

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
The shore power charger that I'm using is a NOCO Gen3 Marine charger, it assesses 3 individual banks and charges them using the appropriate profile individually (https://no.co/gen3). It then charges each bank with 10A to a max of 30A for all 3 banks.

Output side for 12v is 30A. The 120v consumption (which you're concerned) is 3A ish. But with efficiency loss, is closer to 4-5A as stated.

We all need to start somewhere, but maybe hire a pro to look over your work before you connect the first time. AC is not a kind teacher.

Matt
Old 22-10-2017, 14:09   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
The shore power charger that I'm using is a NOCO Gen3 Marine charger, it assesses 3 individual banks and charges them using the appropriate profile individually (https://no.co/gen3).
No it does not. It charges all batteries it is wired to with the same profile. If set for Agm batteries it will destroy the Gel battery ultimately. Gel batteries require a lower bulk/absorption voltage and a higher float voltage than either Agm or Fla batteries.

Same with your alternator. If internally regulated its setting is ok for Agm but incorrect for Gel batteries. If you have an external regulator you have to choose which battery type to set it for - Agm or Gel.

Solar controllers have the same issue.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 15:17   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

You may be right, especially from the wind and solar, I don't know that the alternator knows any difference between them. I was hoping there was an isolator or charge controller that would help handle this for me.

1. Maximum 30amps DC ! . Your post on this matter was referring to AC which is a different kettle of fish altogether. Suggest you look at how to convert from AC amperage to DC amperage

2. You are correct, your alternator does not know the difference. You have to tell it.

3. Your charger cannot charge two different battery chemistries properly at the same time. it must be set for one only.Simple scientific fact.

Suggest you buy The Boat Owners Illustrated Electrical Handbook. You have been given sound advice which you seem to be arguing with.You are in over your head.
Old 23-10-2017, 07:44   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Agree with others it sounds like you presently lack some of the knowledge you need to do it all yourself. You could spend a lot of time in some good books or hire a pro.

Learn about the use of transfer switch, AC. and DC calculations, typical power requirements for all your gear. Split your A.C. input from shore into two separate circuits, one for high power loads such as water heater and certain outlets where you might want to connect space heaters, etc. Second AC circuit goes to your transfer switch and thence to the inverter for lower power loads, even a small microwave oven, assuming your inverter and batteries can support the power.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote