Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 17:39   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Help With ACR Wire and Settings

I would like to put a blue seas model 7600 ACR up to my winch battery from my house bank. you can set the limits on this ACR and it limits current to 60 amps max. my battery setup is as follows : 3 banks with a selector for 1, 2, 1&2, off
1---4 AGM 8D batteries of 245 amp hours each-
2----- 2 AGM group 31 batteries (starting) 105 amp hours each
1 AGM group 31 battery (windlass ) 105 amp hours

alternator is 120 amp unit and i have a 100 amp charger that is run from 10kw Westerbeke generator

The winch battery is located 15 feet away from the house bank and i am unsure of what size wire to run beween the house and the winch battery- i am also thinking that i need a breaker/fuse on both sides of the ACR close to the battery- any help along with explanation would be helpful-- my initial guess is 6 or 8 gauge-- also what would you set the ACR on to be the right voltage for the AGM winch side battery? Thanks for the help- i am a really good mechanic, a fair carpenter, and a very cautious electrician.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 06:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help With ACR Wire and Settings

CL - ACR Instructions :
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...tions/6330.pdf
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...ryLink_ACR.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 06:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Help With ACR Wire and Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
I would like to put a blue seas model 7600 ACR up to my winch battery from my house bank. you can set the limits on this ACR and it limits current to 60 amps max. my battery setup is as follows : 3 banks with a selector for 1, 2, 1&2, off
1---4 AGM 8D batteries of 245 amp hours each-
2----- 2 AGM group 31 batteries (starting) 105 amp hours each
1 AGM group 31 battery (windlass ) 105 amp hours

alternator is 120 amp unit and i have a 100 amp charger that is run from 10kw Westerbeke generator

The winch battery is located 15 feet away from the house bank and i am unsure of what size wire to run beween the house and the winch battery- i am also thinking that i need a breaker/fuse on both sides of the ACR close to the battery- any help along with explanation would be helpful-- my initial guess is 6 or 8 gauge-- also what would you set the ACR on to be the right voltage for the AGM winch side battery? Thanks for the help- i am a really good mechanic, a fair carpenter, and a very cautious electrician.
The 7600 is an older product that does eventually limit current to 60A but will allow short duration's up to 120A.. For a windlass battery the 7600 should be fine. Yes you will need a fuse at each battery positive terminal rated to protect the wire. The wire should be sized "round trip" (negative & positive) for the lowest voltage drop, you will be aiming for 3% or less at 60A+.

The voltage settings on that unit are adjustable and are:

Combine Voltage - The voltage at which the unit puts the bow bank in parallel. Once above this voltage the bow bank receives the same charge voltage as the house bank minus any wiring voltage drop.

Uncombine Voltage - The voltage at which the unit isolates or un-parallels the batteries.