Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 12:39   #16

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Microchip or fla.sailor,
Would you be kind enough to post link for oil/funnel/gadget

Thanks

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 13:23   #17

hi, i have exactly the same problem and too will try the cleaning with brake fluid, but do i run it with the fliud or strip it down first?
kerry231168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49   #18

Boat: Islander 34
for what it's worth, I had exactly the same problem. I checked the oil level and it was fine, but I changed it anyway, I was due. I replaced the oil with the Honda high performance synthetic stuff, but still the same problem!

I checked the oil level about a week later, three weeks ago, and though there was oil on the dipstick I was able to dump in at least another quarter-pint or so before it rose to the top of the stick. Immediately afterwards the engine did the 'start and then stop' thing once or twice, but hasn't done it once since that day.

in short, before tearing apart your generator, try changing the oil and adding a bit more than you think is necessary - fill it up full, then pour off the excess. Worked for me.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:12   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i dont measure mine with dipstick, as when i did, the dang thing didnt run. i watch the oil come out then cap it. use a paper towel to catch outflow-- but i have gotten really good at tilting honda a lil as i add oil... gooodl uck. no i didnt use any cleaner--i had to open mine after 5 yrs and tap a valve as it got stuck, but the thing is awesome at 7-ish years of abuse.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 14:10   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
A neighbor boat has the same issue. No Spark after 6 hr running! Dealer said it was a bad coil. Replacement did not help. I disconnected the yellow wire which should have eliminated the oil switch. No go. I notice that the lights do not flicker when pulling the cord to start. I believe it did when it ran (As it was about to start). There is no corrosion on any wires. Any help out there? The honda folks here in the Bahamas are not interested.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 00:39   #21

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Re: oil pressure switch FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls-boat View Post
hi i have 2 of the honda eu2000i generators and there is no oil pressure switch on them there never has been there is an oil level switch which is situated in the crank case base, the only way to get to it is to strip down the engine and remove the crankcase base which is a lot of messing about, if you want to chance that you will always make sure there is oil in the generator then you can just cut the yellow wire which is the one that checks the oil level but if you ever run low then you will destroy the generator, may be better to just fit a new switch which is part number 35480-Z0D-D02 available from
Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Honda EU2000i Generator Common Parts
price $34.38
hope this helps you regards paul
A cruiser friend of mine just took apart my generator and HE FOUND the PROBLEM
When you take the bottom pan out of the engine case, you can actually see the sensor of the oil level alarm ... he saw the reed-switch had attracted plenty of small metal shavings ... somehow triggering the lower level alarm as the slightest level drop (so basically you had to have the level almost pouring out! He cleaned the outside of the reed-switch and everything is perfect now The generator starts on the 1st pull!
I did not see this information anywhere in my searches on the net so I hope it will help someone with the same problem I had!
Old 24-02-2020, 14:32   #22

Re: Help Needed - Honda EU2000i Generator

I have the Honda eu200i generator you spoke about. I have had mine for 10 yrs without any issues. Until last week when I drained the oil for a change. And you right there seems to be a lot of work to change that sensor. I am anel about checking the oil level so .... When you say cut the yellow wire, that would be the one in the 6 pin connector ? And will I get spark again ? This generator was our only source of power where we live. We had just had the valves reset when this happened. I did check the oil level. It was fine after change but like I said no spark. And by what I have read it's almost always that oil sensor w
Will there be anything else after cutting the yellow wire that I will have to do or check. And thank you, you have Benn a big help.
Nancy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 14:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i dont measure mine with dipstick, as when i did, the dang thing didnt run. i watch the oil come out then cap it. use a paper towel to catch outflow-- but i have gotten really good at tilting honda a lil as i add oil... gooodl uck. no i didnt use any cleaner--i had to open mine after 5 yrs and tap a valve as it got stuck, but the thing is awesome at 7-ish years of abuse.
We have had our 10 years . And it's had daily use of at least 12 hrs a day for the last 4 years . But with all the use I do change the oil twice a month , the spark plugs every 6 months or at least check it. After all this use. For the very first time we had the valves reset. Now the darn things oil sensor decided to go off. I am a woman and I will say that resetting the valves is a very simple job in these generators. But the oil sensor scares me a bit. I wish there was a way to reset them with out tearing it all apart. I have 2 bolts that go through Honda's plastic case that just spin. I can't even think of how much of a pain it would be to get them out . The plastic is the most prices thing on that whole generator. Parts are cheap.
Nancy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 15:10   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have a much larger Honda generator and I had to cut the yellow wire also. The oil sensor just goes bad after a while. But I have no fear, you can always re-connect that yellow wire after you cut it. Not a problem.

No harm in slicing it and then reconnecting if you need to.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:02   #25

Update: after finding out (thanks to the input of some of you that oil viscosity(?) was the problem, I ran our generator without problem whenever we needed it. This week, the generator stopped abruptly and no getting it started again ... Long story short: adding oil to the engine to get back to full (it was a little low) did NOT do the trick .... but replacing all the oil did the trick .. started on the first pull!
So my conclusion is that when the oil gets old (black) perhaps the viscosity changes or something must trigger the oil alert shut down .. So next time you cannot start your generator, try the easy & inexpensive job of simply replacing the oil!
I will next check if taking a finer oil makes any difference in longevity (still in recommended oil grades by Honda).
Old 09-06-2021, 05:36   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From page 14, of the EU2000i Owner’s Manual:
“OIL ALERT SYSTEM
The Oil Alert system is designed to prevent engine damage caused by an insufficient amount of oil in the crankcase. Before the oil level inthe crankcase can fall below a safe limit, the Oil Alert indicator light comes on and the Oil Alert system automatically will stop the engine (the engine switch will remain in the ON position).
If the engine stops or the Oil Alert indicator light comes on when you pull the starter grip, check the engine oil level (see page 28) before troubleshooting in other areas.
Here ➥ https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...s/31Z07610.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 18:27   #27

Perhaps we can add caused by old oil too black ot thick????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From page 14, of the EU2000i Owner’s Manual:
“OIL ALERT SYSTEM
The Oil Alert system is designed to prevent engine damage caused by an insufficient amount of oil in the crankcase. Before the oil level inthe crankcase can fall below a safe limit, the Oil Alert indicator light comes on and the Oil Alert system automatically will stop the engine (the engine switch will remain in the ON position).
If the engine stops or the Oil Alert indicator light comes on when you pull the starter grip, check the engine oil level (see page 28) before troubleshooting in other areas.
Here ➥ https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...s/31Z07610.pdf

Tags
generator, honda eu2000