Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-02-2015, 08:04   #16

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Help! Dual V Belt alignment issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelungu View Post
Reboring is not a good idea, if it's cast. If its stock? why be messing around have one made. Oversize a little so it run faster. Alternators burn because of not enough ventilation most of the time. Leave room for the best fan you can get on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We can rebore using a lathe. It is aluminum (I think 6013 but it may be 6061) so cutting it will not be a problem. I would like to get the company that makes the one with the smaller bore to make one for me from rod. The small bore one also has a deep recess because some of the small alternators have a shorter shafts than the heavy duty ones. The Delco 28SI has a long enough shaft that the pulley can be 1.5" thick without having to cut a recess for the nut. It will be early next week before a decision is made.

This pulley is on the alternator so I think you intended to say smaller rather than oversize to increase the alternator rpm. I am reducing the diameter some. The thing that concerns me is belt wrap. I have about 120 degrees. I haven't found a chart yet that shows how much I need for:
Dual 1/2" belts with 120 degree wrap. I would like to use 2.5 inch alternator pulley. Anybody know if the 2.5" will spin this alternator without belt slip?
160 amp alternator should need about 6.5 horse power and I don't know how much torque.

Old 02-03-2015, 19:34   #17

I do not think you will have a problem, so far you are on the money. I am pulling 120amp of 45hp @120 degrees no problem, running at 1800 rpm 5 4D's loading up a 4KW Iams inverter. Life is good

Old 02-03-2015, 19:47   #18

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelungu View Post
I do not think you will have a problem, so far you are on the money. I am pulling 120amp of 45hp @120 degrees no problem, running at 1800 rpm 5 4D's loading up a 4KW Iams inverter. Life is good

Are you saying 1800 alternator rpm or engine rpm. If engine rpm what is the ratio to the alt.?

Are you using 2 belts?

After digging through the Dayton engineering site I think I will be ok with the narrow spacing on the alt. pulley. They show a max of 5 degrees offset in designing drive systems. Even if I line up one and have all the offset on one belt (instead of splitting the difference as planned) I will have well under 2 degree offset on one belt. If I get it right in the middle it will be under 1 degree. After it is on I will keep an eye on it and if it starts making dust I will have another one made up. So I plan on putting it together in the next couple of weeks. I still have some clean up and painting to do on the engine.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know if it is a satisfactory solution.

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: