Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Help!..15.7 volts... Bad Regulator

So I'm out on the water and my Balmar system is acting up. I'm getting voltage readings in the high 15's and have pretty much concluded that my ARS-5 regulator is shot.

For the moment, I'm managing the issue by removing the fuse on my regulator so i dont cook batteries and fry electronics while running the engine.

I have been replacing the fuse at times to engage the charging system and ensure my batteries are charged, but I'm making sure that all of my electronics are turned off when the balmar is throwing high voltage. I'm only doing this for around a half hour at a time to ensure I'm not cooling my batteries (flooded deep cell).

Anyone see any issues with my system for the time being? I'd like to avoid any further damage to my system. What about the less sensitive electrical units like my macerator and windlass? It sure would be nice to use these with the balmar charging (at 15.7 volts!!).... Will I Fry these items?

I'm only out for the next couple of days and will address the root of the problem upon return to the dock. In the meantime, hoping I can limp along my charging system.

Thanks!
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Help!..15.7 volts... Bad regulator

Ideally, stop using it until you get it fixed. You are damaging your batterie(s). Your batteries might be able to take it short term (because this is essentially an equalization voltage), but you will damage them long term. Keep a sharp eye on your electrolyte level because every time you charge at this voltage level you are boiling it out as hydrogen much faster than normal....which is another reason not to do this.

Definitely keep all of your electrical loads turned off. Turn everything off not just at the load but at the breaker panel as well.

You don't want to wreck your batteries nor be the Hindenberg.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:34   #3

Thanks for the reply! I will watch the water level in batteries. I'm kind of treating this situation as if I were doing an equalization charge. Probably will only do a total of 3 sessions of one half hour charging at high voltage.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Help!..15.7 volts... Bad regulator

Have you checked the voltage sensor wire on your regulator to make sure it has continuity and no resistance? High alternator output voltage is a symptom of this problem. While you are there, check all the wires, terminals and contacts related to your alternator and regulator.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:03   #5

In the process. Will be back at the dock tomorrow and plan to dig deeper then. For now is checking battery levels between a few equalization charge cycles.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11   #6

For the record, the balmar regulator was the problem. Replaced with new, problem solved. Case closed.

Tags
regulator