Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 01:50   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Heart Freedom 20

I installed a heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger in my boat about 6 years ago. Today, when I fired up my generator and hit the switch on my Link 2000 to turn on the charger, the generator started to accelerate and but the charger didn't turn on. I took the cover off and took a look when I turned on the switch and after a few seconds with the generator struggling on deck, the Freedom 20 "Clicked" and the generator settled down and ran fine. About 20 seconds later, the Freedom "clicked" again and the generator again struggled till the Freedom "clicked" again.
Anyone have idea what may be wrong? It has worked great for years with no problems other than having to replace the small fan inside.
I'm out in the Maldives so taking it to a local service center is pretty much out of the question.
Any help would be appreciated.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 05:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Heart Freedom 20

Try emailing ➥ techhelp@heartinterface.com
Or calling: 1-800-446-6180

See also ➥ http://www.xantrex.com/documents/dis...ner_manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 06:17   #3

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"

This happens when the charge on the batteries or a battery in your bank is too low. It's an issue with the combiner function. You'll see the low voltage disconnect dial on your Heart interface. What you're experiencing is the system looking at your batteries and seeing them at a level below this number. Fire up the diesel and charge via the alternator for a bit. This'll bring the base charge up above the low voltage disconnect and the system will then be able to function as a combiner.

Good luck.
Old 19-04-2015, 06:34   #4

This explains it better than I can. Different manufacturer, same principle.

Combiner Information
Old 19-04-2015, 07:48   #5

I called,a,friend over from another boat that is "buddy boating" with us and this time when I fired up the generator, while the generator struggled a bit at first, the Freedom 20 came on line and started charging the batteries.
I checked at my Link 2000 before I first fired up the generator and the readout said my batteries were at 12.3. Now I didn't take the covers off and check each of my six batteries but I refilled them two days ago but have motored a good 35 miles since with the alternator filling the batteries, so I can't think that they were discharged any where near being discharged. With all the motoring we have to do in the Maldives(no wind) I rarely use the generator.
I'll read the links you attached and see what they say
Old 19-04-2015, 08:15   #6

Might have been something drawing from the batteries at the same time that you were trying to charge resulting in a lower effective voltage.

Glad it's working now.
Old 19-04-2015, 18:44   #7

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter

Not sure what a "combiner" is? I use a Link 2000 to monitor and turn on the inverter and charger feature. The second time I fired up the generator and turned on the Freedom 20, it started up but the generator had just a bit of a problem. I'm using a Yamaha 2400 to power the Freedom. Been working fine but when I read the owners manual, it mentions using a bigger power source. So far it's been fine but is it powerful enough? Used to use a Honda ef3000 till it rusted itself to death out here. Lucky to find the Yamaha.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailorhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 18:57   #8

Check the power share setting on the Link 2000. You can reduce the load on the generator.

Could be a bad battery.

We have a F15, haven't had that issue.

Try cycling the switch on the Freedom with everything off, part of the troubleshooting guide.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:20   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

You could change the power share option on the link to a lower level which would not cause the generator to drop its input voltage...
Old 20-04-2015, 05:00   #10

I read the manual again and got into the set up and changed the "power share" from the default of 30 down to 20. Now that I've done that, would someone take pity on me and explain what setting it lower will do? What it "Power Share" in the first place? What am I "sharing" power with? Sorry, electronics aren't my strong point but I'm very happy to learn, then I'll be better prepared for when or if it happens again. Heaven only knows I've learned a ton in the 7 years since we moved on board, not to mention the 28,000 miles we have covers since then. Always room for knowledge.
Thanks to every one for help and advice. My wife told me to just check the wires, I took the smart route and went here for advice.
Old 20-04-2015, 08:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
I read the manual again and got into the set up and changed the "power share" from the default of 30 down to 20. Now that I've done that, would someone take pity on me and explain what setting it lower will do? What it "Power Share" in the first place? What am I "sharing" power with?
What it does is reduce the amount of power it draws. If ONLY from ONE source, it reduces it from 30 to 20A or less. If from a limited source of AC, it reduces the charger output to keep up with AC source, i.e., your generator.

Try this, from 2004!!!

Power Share Feature for Link 2000 Controlling Honda Generators
Very helpful hint to control generators and 20A shorepower
Power Share feature on Link 2000
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 09:38   #12

Still not charging willingly. I reduced the "power share" to 20 and when I started up the generator, it ran fine. I turned on the switches inside so it could make the connection with the Freedom 20. Still fine. Had power inside the boat to all the outlets. Then I turned on the Freedom 20 and the generator started wheezing and coughing as it tried to get the charger running and charging the batteries. It(the generator) slowed down and the power would click off on the circuit panel and the Freedom 20 would also give out a "click" and then generator would smooth out and run fine. Then the Freedom 20 would click again and the generator would almost die till the charger "clicked" again.
I turned the switches that control the bank of batteries that the charger charges(there are two banks) and got it to start charging the second bank of batteries with the generator still not running smoothly. I turned the battery bank switch to "both" and it nearly killed the generator. I then turned the switch to the first bank and again, the generator ran but sure wasn't happy. I tried it again as "both" banks and it started charging both banks but again, the generator ran very rough but it was charging both banks.
A few days before this all started, I serviced the batteries by refilling each with distilled water(not really that low) and checked and tightened up some of the nuts that hold the cables tightly to the posts. Nothing else was touched. The problem started the next time I fired up the generator.
Any suggestions as to what to check next? Before I started the generator, I looked at the demand on my Link 2000 and it didn't show any unusual amount of amps getting pulled out. Just my normal 4 amp draw from the fridge.
Old 26-04-2015, 09:40   #13

One other thing, another cruiser is planning on bringing over his generator to see if it might be the problem and not the "Link 2000". He only has a Honda 1000 and I'm not sure if it's strong enough to get the Freedom 20 up and running. It strains the Yamaho 2400 when it's getting turned on.
Old 27-04-2015, 00:19   #14

Followup:
This morning, I pulled out my hydrometer(think that's what it's called) and measured each batteries liquid. Each cell came back about 12.25 on a non topped up battery. I checked each connection on the batteries and the ones that I tightened up a few days ago when I was checking and filling each cell, I loosened back to how it was. No where as tight as I think they should really be.
I connected my generator to the wires leading into the boat and fired it up. Once it was running smoothly, I turned on the switch for the Link 2000 to turn on the charging feature on the Freedon 200. She started right up and has worked fine all morning. I even started and stopped it a couple of times just to make sure all was well. It's now charging my batteries just fine.
No clue why it's doing it now and wouldn't do it yesterday but I really don't care as long as it works.
Any one have any idea what might have been wrong? and it right now?