Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 18:07   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
H Beam for Radar, Wind Genny and Davit

I had had a 600 watt wind generator and a couple of small solar panels stashed in my v-berth for months while I tried to find a design that suited me for a stern mount. None on the designs that I saw online or walking the docks blew my skirt up.

As the day of my planned departure got closer I finally decided on simple DIY H beam made of 4x4's that cost me peanuts to build while supporting my radar, genny and solar.

I used 1/4" wire rope to a 3/8 eye bolt passing through the post to a lifting eye for a nut. Attached to the toe rail forward and a small chain plate on the transom with a swivel mount at the base, it is stout enough that I plan to rig a simple davit for my hard dink. I will store my dink on deck while offshore as usual but at anchor or in the ditch I think it will suit my purposes until I come up with something better.

I did have to replace the eyebolts after a hundred mile crossing in some seriously pitching seas. They had bent at the lifting eye due to the angle of pull.

I drilled 6 small holes 1 for each of the uprights and 2 for each chain plate. I guess I will forever stress before drilling the first hole.