I had had a 600 watt wind generator
and a couple of small solar panels
stashed in my v-berth for months while I tried to find a design that suited me for a stern mount. None on the designs that I saw online or walking the docks blew my skirt up.
As the day of my planned departure got closer I finally decided on simple DIY H beam made of 4x4's that cost me peanuts to build while supporting my radar
, genny and solar
I used 1/4" wire rope
to a 3/8 eye bolt passing through the post to a lifting eye for a nut. Attached to the toe rail forward and a small chain plate
on the transom with a swivel mount at the base, it is stout enough that I plan to rig a simple davit for my hard dink. I will store my dink on deck
as usual but at anchor
or in the ditch I think it will suit my purposes until I come up with something better.
I did have to replace the eyebolts after a hundred mile crossing in some seriously pitching seas. They had bent at the lifting eye due to the angle of pull.
I drilled 6 small holes 1 for each of the uprights and 2 for each chain plate
. I guess I will forever stress before drilling the first hole.