Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 04:58   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Guest 2611 Battery Charger Trips ELCI

I have recently updates our electrical panel and for the first time tried to use our battery charger while plugged into shore power. As soon as I plug in the battery charger the ELCI on the main feed to the breaker panel trips. The breaker for the battery charger is fine. I have been using other AC circuits on the boat connected to shore power without an issue (shop vac & drill).

I do know the charge works as I had it directly plugged to the Mains when we were on the hard with no issue.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this older battery charged and an ELCI?

I'm assuming that the battery charge is leaking some voltage to ground which is tripping the ECLI. I'd like to know if others have seen this.

Any suggesting on sorting this out are appreciated.. I'm going to see if I can plug it directly into shore (Bypass the boat AC panel) to see if that works without tripping the dock pedestal (no ECLI or GFI I think)
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 17:52   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Re: Guest 2611 Battery Charger Trips ELCI

Turns out it's not the charger as I put my shop vac into the same plug and it trips as well (but works on other ccts).. so must be a wiring problem with that plug
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger