Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 26-12-2009, 19:23   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Most GC2 sized golf cart batteries like the T-105 are rated at 220 Ah to 225 Ah. So two six volt T-105's will yield 225 Ah's and two 115 Ah 12v batts will yield 230 Ah's.

The big difference is that the 6v GC2/T-105's will yield far greater cycle life (discharges to 50% of capacity) than will two 12 batteries due to the thickness of the plates and to some extent the height of the plates.

I have many friends who have been running the Sam's Club / Energizer GC2 sized 6v batts which are 225 Ah. These batts are actually made by Johnson Controls and while not as high quality as a Trojan they have survived some serious abuse. At $72.00 each you get a 450 Ah bank for $288.00. The T-105 up here is now close to $150.00 at the local distributor or $600.00 for 450 Ah's..

We have the Sam's Club / JC batts in my buddies hunting cabin and they are going on 8 years old. They have been drained dead more times than I can count, badly charged and yet still work great.
Old 26-12-2009, 19:27   #17

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Exactly. I absolutely murdered a set of those Sam's Club batteries in my Beetle, but they'll stand up to the abuse that a boat owner dishes out.
Old 26-12-2009, 19:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
Exactly. I absolutely murdered a set of those Sam's Club batteries in my Beetle, but they'll stand up to the abuse that a boat owner dishes out.

When T-105's were $85.00 and the Sam's batts $68.00 it still made sense to buy the Trojan's. At more than double the price now I just don't see that much return on my investment especially knowing so many happy customers who have been using the Sam's golf cart batteries and these are generally people who don't know how to care and feed for them, yet they still survive.

My high school friend manages a golf course down on the Cape and three years ago they moved away from Trojan over price. I think they now use either Crown or US Battery, he told me but it was at a party and clearly I forgot. Their failure rate has remained unchanged since the switch and they kill batteries to flat dead every day of the season. They aim for 50-60% DOD but it does not always happen. The batteries they are now buying are costing them significantly less, perhaps not 50% of the price of Trojans but close and they are still US made.

I'll have to call him this week and see what the batts are.
Old 27-12-2009, 00:47   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
The argument I would make in favor of having multiple 12V batteries in banks vs multiple 6V batteries in banks is that if one of the 12V batteries goes dead, I can disconnect it from the bank, and still have 12V but at a lower amperage capacity. If using a 6V battery system and one goes dead, then that bank is reduced to 6V until the bad cell is replaced, effectively killing that bank.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 02:42   #20

Boat: Hughes 38 "Silly Bette"
Send a message via ICQ to Bill Estes Send a message via AIM to Bill Estes Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Estes
Thanks guy’s on your info on batteries selection. I will be looking at both 6V and 12V battery system. And I will take advice on shopping around first before making my decision on the brand of battery I will use; I like the ideal of Sam’s Club. I am now going over all of your post and will make my selection of the right type of battery bank for my needs. Again thanks for all info and I will update as soon as I make my decision.
Bill Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
The argument I would make in favor of having multiple 12V batteries in banks vs multiple 6V batteries in banks is that if one of the 12V batteries goes dead, I can disconnect it from the bank, and still have 12V but at a lower amperage capacity. If using a 6V battery system and one goes dead, then that bank is reduced to 6V until the bad cell is replaced, effectively killing that bank.

If you use two 6v batts this can happen but with four, as the OP wants, he'll still have 225 Ah's available..
Old 27-12-2009, 05:49   #22

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
When T-105's were $85.00 and the Sam's batts $68.00 it still made sense to buy the Trojan's. At more than double the price now I just don't see that much return on my investment especially knowing so many happy customers who have been using the Sam's golf cart batteries and these are generally people who don't know how to care and feed for them, yet they still survive.

My high school friend manages a golf course down on the Cape and three years ago they moved away from Trojan over price. I think they now use either Crown or US Battery, he told me but it was at a party and clearly I forgot. Their failure rate has remained unchanged since the switch and they kill batteries to flat dead every day of the season. They aim for 50-60% DOD but it does not always happen. The batteries they are now buying are costing them significantly less, perhaps not 50% of the price of Trojans but close and they are still US made.

I'll have to call him this week and see what the batts are.
Prices may have come down for Trojans lately. We bought 4 T-105's from Batteries Plus (a chain battery store) in the Atlanta area last summer for about $85 each. They were also available at a local golf cart dealer in Peachtree City for about the same price.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 07:12   #23

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Battery prices spiked hard, during the energy crunch when people were suddenly driving golf carts and NEV's to the corner grocery store and building their own EV's. That increased demand, but the even bigger problem was that commodities (metals) prices spiked and that heavily impacted batteries.

With cheap energy prices, and less commodities action, prices should come down a bit.
Old 27-12-2009, 07:39   #24

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
There is more to a good marine battery bank than just price.
The ideal battery IMO would be one battery only. The more connections there are, the more prone to failure.
The ideal battery would have a massive acceptance rate that would not diminish quickly as it gets close to 80% full.
The ideal battery would not have electrolyte that could spill or be boiled off by charging. It would be as low maintaince as possible.
The ideal battery would have as many recharges as possible. It would last at least a entire cruise.
The ideal battery would work well with alternative charging sources.
The ideal battery would be moderately expensive, but not prohibitory so.

Of course there is not yet a ideal battery out there, although it seems the lithium battery's coming out are close. Next IMO are the agms. When treated well, not cycled down to far, and with their high acceptance rates... are pretty good as well.

In my situation, what I want is a Single AGM battery of 600 AH,24volts, that can fit thru a hatch, will last for 5 years or more with a 30% DOD, connected to both wind and solar providing most it not all of the power aboard, but a massive electrodyne alternator on a DC generator for the fastest recharge possible...

The problem as I see it with golf cart batteries are that they don't meet many of my criteria. They are smaller, and therefore need more connections, they are lead acid, therefore require more maintenance, they can leak acid and gas into the living space, the y taper off the charge rapidly, costing time and money and wear and tear on the charging sources... But they are cheap. So depending on your priorities....
I used to believe that the golf cart way was the best. Do not believe it any more. But they are inexpensive to purchase, and can be found in many places...

Now if we can just get that flux capacitor on line soon....
Old 01-01-2010, 10:20   #25

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
I have 2 - 6v, 370 Ah SeaVolt (Trojan) set in series. The first set lasted 5+ years. The second set was just installed. I bought them from West Marine though a boatyard (no markup), and the pair cost a little less than $500. they are large - 17" tall, and heavy - 113#, but have been very satisfactory for my use.
Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
most golf cart batteries are going to be 200-225 amp hour batteries. They are approximately 12" tall with terminals. Two of these six volt batteries in series are going to give you 225 ah at 12 volts. Going with two larger and heavier 12 volt, 150 amp hour battery in parallel for 300ah at 12 volts doesn't make much sense unless there simply is no room. 4 6 volt 225ah batteries will give you 450 ah with batteries that are small enough to be muscled into place by most owners. I don't know why anyone would go with 12 volt batteries as any 12 volt battery of equal amperage to two 6 volt batteries is going to be awfully f*****g HEAVY. You could go with two lower amperage 12 volt batteries wired in parallel to get a battery that is lighter and easier to handle but the foot print would be larger than the six volt batteries. I just replaced the 6 volt, 225ah golf cart batteries in my boat with the same thing. I would not want to wrestle any bigger battery around than these. Don't know how anyone can deal with an 8D 12 volt battery. Guess that's what illegal aliens are for.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:24   #27

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
You get two people to do it.
You use a dock cart to get it to your boat.
You use a hoist to get in the boat.
You then put it in its final space with help.

But I went with 12volt grp 31 agms. They weigh 71 lbs apiece. Wired in series I have 600 Ah with 6 batteries. They are only 9" high. There are only 14 cables to make.
With that said, I would rather go that route, than 6 volt.
But to each his own. Personally I would rather have one 600AH battery hoisted in once every 5-10 years but thats just me.
Old 01-01-2010, 20:00   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
But I went with 12volt grp 31 agms. They weigh 71 lbs apiece. Wired in series I have 600 Ah with 6 batteries. They are only 9" high. There are only 14 cables to make.
With that said, I would rather go that route, than 6 volt.
But to each his own. Personally I would rather have one 600AH battery hoisted in once every 5-10 years but thats just me.
If you truly wired your six 12-volt group 31 agm's in series, you'd have 72 volts @ 100 AH, not 12 volts @ 600 AH :-)

Now, if you'd used six 6-volt golf-cart batteries instead, you'd have 675 AH @ 12V and you'd only have to make up seven cables!!

By the way, the # of cable connections is a red herring. Do them right and they'll not give problems for many years.

Also...please do the math. It requires TWO external cable connections to connect two 100AH 12-volt batteries in parallel to give you 200AH while it only requires ONE external cable connection to connect two 6-volt 225AH golf cart batteries in series to give you 225AH @ 12VDC.

IMHO, golf-carts can't be beat with presently available technology. And, they came in flooded, AGM, and gelled types -- choose whichever you prefer. They only weigh 60 lbs each, are easily transported, and are only 10 1/8" high....under 11 inches even with Hydrocaps or WaterMiser caps (which you really ought to have on flooded batteries).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 21:20   #29

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
I have a seven KW diesel genset, a big wind genny and 2 8D gels. I put the big gels in cause:

1. I had the space
2. I am not all that smart enough to deal with lead/acid
3. Basically too lazy to figure out my house load (although I am constantly improving my
energy efficiency,i.e., better insulation, LEDS, etc

It is a bit shameful to admit all this, but it's true.

Someday, (in my dreams) I,ll toss the Westebeke gen and go "green" and that's when I'll have to "get smart." Until then I'll live like it's 1984, when the boat came off the ways. Throw power at the problem and if that doesn't work, fire up the genny.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 21:43   #30

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
When batteries like AGMs are available I cannot understand why anyone would want flooded cell batteries in their boat...I have 4 x 12V 105 Ah AGMS , 1 for start and three in parallel for house power...a 110A Balmar on my little Yanmar with one 1/2" belt, a NEXT STEP NS2 reg and no problems
Btw I run an autopilot, radar, laptop, chartplotter, SSB, VHF, a 35 l/hr watermaker and all the usual lights ... engine driven fridge though....and no problems...no fumes, no acid, no topping up, no hydrometer, no bother !

Cheers
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote