Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 18:54   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Golf cart batteries

I spent too much time over the last couple of days looking for 4 each 6vdc wet cell lead acid batteries rated at 225 ampere hour. At first I had high hope to purchase the Trojan T105s. The more I looked the sicker I got!

If one does an online search, they are all over the place along with their prices. Shipping is out of sight as one would expect. So I tried the local distributor in Providence RI which is travel reasonable for me. YUP, THEY HAVE THEM AND I COULD ALSO HAVE THEM FOR $207 EACH!!! I balked! Next I asked for Interstate's equivalent batteries but no, they had nothing to offer BUT THEY DID HAVE THEIR HOUSE BATTERY, A STEAL AT$175 there about!

I checked Wally world stores, ziltch! So I checked Wally on line, thought I would order them and pick the order up at one of their stores. Good luck with that, they do not offer them on line!

I NEEDED BATTERIES.......NOW!!!!!

Well as in all endeavors, perseverance pays off! I did not find Trojans, I did not end up with Interstates but I did find a supplier for East Penn batteries. Yeah, the deep discharge type rated at 230 ampere hours (I believe) and for the reasonable cost of $146 each AND BETTER THAN THAT, BECAUSE I WILL PURCHASE 4, I was told the price will be somewhat lower for my cash purchase.

Now I know nothing about East Penn batteries. I do know that my current batteries that are in need of replacement were new at the start of my 2005 season. They were supplied by a battery house in Portland, ME. Nothing special about them except they are HUGE, I don't care enough to look up what group they fall into but I once checked how much they should weigh based on their size, somewhere around 150# each. I destroyed those things because the boat's battery charger consists of yesteryear's technology that includes a regulator of sorts following a resonant transformer.

I now have a 50 ampere Xantrex 3 stage charger which works well. If I had the Xantrex before the batteries sulfated, I think they would still be functional.

More later--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:04   #2
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Re: Golf cart batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I spent too much time over the last couple of days looking for 4 each 6vdc wet cell lead acid batteries rated at 225 ampere hour. At first I had high hope to purchase the Trojan T105s. The more I looked the sicker I got!

If one does an online search, they are all over the place along with their prices. Shipping is out of sight as one would expect. So I tried the local distributor in Providence RI which is travel reasonable for me. YUP, THEY HAVE THEM AND I COULD ALSO HAVE THEM FOR $207 EACH!!! I balked! Next I asked for Interstate's equivalent batteries but no, they had nothing to offer BUT THEY DID HAVE THEIR HOUSE BATTERY, A STEAL AT$175 there about!

I checked Wally world stores, ziltch! So I checked Wally on line, thought I would order them and pick the order up at one of their stores. Good luck with that, they do not offer them on line!

if it was me i would have bought the Trojans . We have them on Byamee for the last 3 years and they are as good as the day we bought them ...and we work them hard

www.byamee.com

I NEEDED BATTERIES.......NOW!!!!!

Well as in all endeavors, perseverance pays off! I did not find Trojans, I did not end up with Interstates but I did find a supplier for East Penn batteries. Yeah, the deep discharge type rated at 230 ampere hours (I believe) and for the reasonable cost of $146 each AND BETTER THAN THAT, BECAUSE I WILL PURCHASE 4, I was told the price will be somewhat lower for my cash purchase.

Now I know nothing about East Penn batteries. I do know that my current batteries that are in need of replacement were new at the start of my 2005 season. They were supplied by a battery house in Portland, ME. Nothing special about them except they are HUGE, I don't care enough to look up what group they fall into but I once checked how much they should weigh based on their size, somewhere around 150# each. I destroyed those things because the boat's battery charger consists of yesteryear's technology that includes a regulator of sorts following a resonant transformer.

I now have a 50 ampere Xantrex 3 stage charger which works well. If I had the Xantrex before the batteries sulfated, I think they would still be functional.

More later--

Foggy
If it was me i would have bought the Trojans .We have had them on Byamee for the last 3 years and they are as good as the day we bought them .
www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
If it was me i would have bought the Trojans .We have had them on Byamee for the last 3 years and they are as good as the day we bought them .
www.byamee.com
Well--- I didn't. Your batteries are only 3 years old, they should be like new if you take care and prevent those conditions that result in sulfation from happening. I mentioned that the "no name" batteries now in my boat are in their 7th year!

I also found pedigreed batteries such as Atlantic & Surette batteries lasted no longer than less expensive batteries on my old sailboat. The old flooded lead acid battery has been around over 100 years so I doubt the pedigreed batteries available in today's marketplace can offer new chemical achievements. Trojan IS A GOOD BATTERY, I just did not want to pay the higher premium price.

Foggy
Old 18-07-2012, 19:30   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Did you check Northeast Battery in Providence? That's the best place for Trojans inm terms of price
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:46   #5

Boat: csy 37

the golf cart batteries sold at sams club are less than $80 each AND are made by east penn (it says so right on the battery). i bought four last year...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:03   #6
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

You have fallen into the classic battery trap. Very few batteries on the market in the USA are made by the name on the label, They are almost all made by Johnson Controls or a company in China (whose name I can't recall at the moment) There are a few exceptions. East Penn is one, and Trojan is another. But the honest truth is even such well know brands as Sears Diehard are made by one of these two, and so are the batteries at Wallyworld and K-mart. The only real difference is the brand name and the price.

See Battery FAQ Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List, and Look for the Battery Manufacturers and Brand Name list.

East Penn is a well respected battery manufacturer and one of the first to make Gel Cell batteries. I met the pres of the company back in the late 90's. Trojan Also makes some good batts.

By the way if you are looking for golf cart batteries RV stores are good sources because many large RVs also use deep cycle batteries. So check out Camping World or a dealer ship for one of the large manufacturers like Winnebago or Holiday Mansion.
Old 18-07-2012, 20:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:

You can buy that same battery at Sam's Club for $88.00 sold under the Duracell label. It is called the EGC2 and is 230 Ah. They also have the GC2 which is 215 Ah's......

Old 19-07-2012, 04:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Did you check Northeast Battery in Providence? That's the best place for Trojans inm terms of price
That is the company who gave me the quote
Old 19-07-2012, 05:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You can buy that same battery at Sam's Club for $88.00 sold under the Duracell label. It is called the EGC2 and is 230 Ah. They also have the GC2 which is 215 Ah's......

MAINE SAIL

We have few Sam's clubs in this area. This time I lucked out, there is one in Seekonk, MA that is almost on my way to the boat. I called them this morning and they have that battery in stock for $88.

Of course I will need to join, the business membership is $35 so the batteries will cost a little more with the membership fee added. Hey-- that is still less than $145 each.

Thanks.....and I will click your "thanks" button!!!

Foggy
Old 19-07-2012, 05:38   #10

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'

We use all six volt Sams Golf cart batteries. 4 on the house, 2 on the starting side. Great price, and they last. Hard to beat.
Old 19-07-2012, 06:25   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I have used East Penn golf cart batteries in the past:
The first set lasted 5 years, the second set 6.5 years.
Just bought another 4 for about $90.00 each.
East Penn also make batteries for West Marine and Costco.

Highly recommended.
Old 19-07-2012, 06:50   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i got my 6v batteries at costco. the 10 yr warrantee and exchange is good--even in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 07:43   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

JCI is probably the #1 (biggest) battery maker in the US. Deka/East Penn is either #2 or #2, depending on who you ask. As long as the new battery is a "traction battery" the odds are it will be comparable to the Trojan, in terms of plate thickness which translates into life cycles.

Now, I know from a local battery wholesaler that they supply batteries to all sorts of places, i.e. slapping a "Honda" label on one when the local dealer needs an OEM battery, and labels can be printed up anywhere. But I find it odd that those batteries in the pictures say "GOLF CAR" instead of "GOLF CART", the way the shelf card under them does. Sounds like something got made in China, not the US. Or am I the only one who never has heard of a "Golf Car" ?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 07:54   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

i guess it depends on how you want to use them - being in the usa - my guess is you will sail part of the year and store the boat part of the year - and can recharge at a dock - so east penn would work as would most -
HOWEVER - if you plan extensive out of the usa and out of marinas - i would suggest the best quality you can find period - we had west marine batteries and they lasted about 4 years but the last year was a struggle -
we have been out of the usa about 2 years but rarely went in to marinas even in the usa - we charge with 3 130w solar panels backed by a 150amp engine alternator when we need more "sun" -- once out the usa we headed south to colombia and the batteries just would not hold a good charge after a while and we had the run the engine more and more -
we got 6 new trojan t105 in the dominican republic and while we have had them only a short while - wow what a difference --

what we find out here is quality counts for a lot

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
and yes we are in a marina and no we are not hooked to electricity right now - we had to for 1 day when we had no sun for 3 days -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 08:18   #15

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
MAINE SAIL

We have few Sam's clubs in this area. This time I lucked out, there is one in Seekonk, MA that is almost on my way to the boat. I called them this morning and they have that battery in stock for $88.

Of course I will need to join, the business membership is $35 so the batteries will cost a little more with the membership fee added. Hey-- that is still less than $145 each.

Thanks.....and I will click your "thanks" button!!!

Foggy
Request a trial membership. They'll generally give you 6 months free to try the place.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote